Author Topic: 68 Mustang Heater Core With A/C  (Read 502 times)

Offline Colorado56

68 Mustang Heater Core With A/C
« on: October 25, 2018, 02:50:26 PM »
Hi,  I removed my heater box to replace all the foam and thought it would be a good time to replace my heater core so there is not a problem down the line.  What is everyone using as a replacement?  Anybody restore an original? 

Offline ruppstang

Re: 68 Mustang Heater Core With A/C
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2018, 09:57:23 PM »
The only real option is to go with a new one. Be sure to get a all brass one.

Offline Colorado56

« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2018, 02:51:27 AM »
Thanks,  any recommendations on the brand of core or vendor?  I see a lot that are manufactured overseas.

Offline 67gtasanjose

• "Take the MUSTANG PLEDGE"
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2018, 06:30:02 AM »
USA made ONLY, and if at all possible, NOS Ford.

Re-Coring used to be done years ago, and I have actually done it myself when I owned a radiator shop in the early 80's but in my opinion, not the best way to go. We would saw out a section of heater core stock from a large 'chunk", the size and thickness of the original, melt/clean off the rough edges and then solder on the old tanks. It worked very well, but I'd say it worked well in a pinch since even with all of the equipment of a radiator shop, it was rather a P.I.T.A.

QUALITY really matters in this application especially since the job to go back in to change it later is so huge on these cars. Do not try and buy this part on a budget. I think I saw a NOS one on eBay last week. It fits many years and other vehicles into the 80's, even Pintos with AC if memory serves me correctly.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2018, 06:36:02 AM by 67gtasanjose »
Richard Urch

1967 (11/2/66, S.J.) GTA Luxury Coupe, 289-4V w/Thermactor Emissions, C-4, Int./Ext. Decor +many options

2005 (04/05) GT Premium Convertible, Windveil Blue, Parchment Top w/Med. Parchment interior,  Roush Body Appointments

Offline Colorado56

« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2018, 12:47:28 AM »
Thanks