Author Topic: Autolite 24F Reproduction  (Read 1521 times)

Offline 69GT350H

• 1 of 10 Hertz Rentals from Miami Int Airport
    • RedsHost is my private forum and photo gallery site
Autolite 24F Reproduction
« on: November 08, 2018, 10:43:10 AM »
An interesting topic(s) on the Autolite 24F reproduction over on the VMF Forum for those interested.

https://forums.vintage-mustang.com/services-classifieds/1147694-racing-restoration-batteries.html
Accurate looking but not a Concours Restoration/build. See my build photo gallery at 69GT350 Hertz Build

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
Re: Autolite 24F Reproduction
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2018, 12:25:04 PM »
It will be the same thing as in the past... they won't make the correct battery, because everyone still buys the other one.

When the choices are limited, folks have to take the best available.

I have an assembly line 22F that I'm exploring 3D printing options.  Will be a couple months before I have a prototype.

The 22F probably came in 90% plus of all 65-66 cars and then in 67, the 24F was probably more predominant.

For the 24F 65-67 assembly line style, I might be able to create a 3D file based off of details from the 22F.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2018, 12:28:14 PM by CharlesTurner »
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline Morsel

« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2018, 02:39:12 PM »
It will be the same thing as in the past... they won't make the correct battery, because everyone still buys the other one.

I have an assembly line 22F that I'm exploring 3D printing options.  Will be a couple months before I have a prototype.

The 22F probably came in 90% plus of all 65-66 cars and then in 67, the 24F was probably more predominant.

For the 24F 65-67 assembly line style, I might be able to create a 3D file based off of details from the 22F.

Wow, that would be cool to see, are you doing it as an empty case that you would connect a smaller battery inside like people are doing with the dead original cases?

Jason
February 10th 1966 - San Jose - Factory GT K-Code Automatic, Candy Apple Red Fastback, Black Standard Interior

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2018, 02:47:45 PM »
Wow, that would be cool to see, are you doing it as an empty case that you would connect a smaller battery inside like people are doing with the dead original cases?

Yes, the plan is to make it a hollow case so they can be either a static show item or a small AGM type battery could be put inside.

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2018, 08:19:14 PM »

Someone came to my place about 6 weeks ago and did a 3D scan on my assemblyline batteries for the purpose of coming up with a case with lid to put a hidden battery into. I am hopeful he will come up with something for the cause .  ;D  Marty Rupp encouraged him to call me.   
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2018, 11:24:28 PM »
Someone came to my place about 6 weeks ago and did a 3D scan on my assemblyline batteries for the purpose of coming up with a case with lid to put a hidden battery into. I am hopeful he will come up with something for the cause .  ;D  Marty Rupp encouraged him to call me.   

I assume you're not concerned with a reproduction hurting the value of the originals?  As I mentioned to someone else, I'm not planning to make a Thoroughbred correct part, it's to help fill the gap for concours cars.

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2018, 03:01:08 PM »
I assume you're not concerned with a reproduction hurting the value of the originals?  As I mentioned to someone else, I'm not planning to make a Thoroughbred correct part, it's to help fill the gap for concours cars.
I suppose it bothers me that I see so many 68 up style batteries being used and people stubbornly think that type came in their car. I am also skeptical that he will be able to make it 100% authentic looking. I only mentioned this other party working on something to you as a friend so that you know someone else is working on something too. I have no connection to the other party other then hoping he will get something going and maybe a few samples for my help.There has been only talk for years.If I had known you wanted to pursue this I would have provided mine to you instead.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby