Author Topic: Wire Harness Restoration  (Read 4161 times)

Offline krelboyne

• West Coast Classic Cougars
Re: Wire Harness Restoration
« Reply #15 on: December 12, 2018, 09:01:08 PM »

If I have to replace any hard plastic connectors, is it best to go OEM restorable or is there new reproduction that is "spot on exact" that is recommended?

Thanks

Dan in Kansas

The reproduction wiring harnesses, like made by Alloy Metals, have plug ends that appear too shiny to me. Maybe less flexible too?

Specific wiring harness pig tails / plug ends are available used.
Scott Behncke - Carcheaologist
West Coast Classic Cougars
503-463-1130
1968 GT/CS 302-4V San Jose 05B
1968 Cougar XR7 Dearborn 09A

Offline HDAshmore

Re: Wire Harness Restoration test pics or ultrasonic on wiring
« Reply #16 on: December 28, 2018, 12:12:06 AM »
Good evening,

Started to test some cleaning theories on scrap wiring pieces before tearing into wiring harness restoration.  I do not know if anyone has a good system or method for cleaning wiring connectors etc...  So I decided to try a cheap, don't cringe Marcus, (Harbor Freight) 2.5 liter ultrasonic cleaner to see how well it did.  Attached are the before and after pics.

I filled it with warm tap water to the line, added a cap full of bleach, a cap full of greased lightning and a teaspoon of Oxyclean.  Test one was on a black and blue connector and wires.  8 minutes and a wipe down with a paper towel.  Looked pretty good.  So then I thought ultimate test was a white connector for test two.  I did not change out the solution.  I ran it for 8 minutes then quickly hit it with a toothbrush and then another 8 minutes.  Wiped it off with a paper towel and was genuinely impressed.

However I do not know if thee is a better solution?
Is there something less corrosive than water to use? 
Will the ultrasonic cleaner damage the connectors inside or the wiring? 
Will water ruin a harness?
Is it better to just submerge the connectors and hand clean the wires with stuff recommended earlier in the post?

A friend in Australia recommended an electricians pen for cleaning corrosion on the brass and metal connectors.  I order two and will post before and after pics of that tomorrow. 

Where is the best place to send tail light harness to get the proper weave once completed?

Thanks,
Dan in Kansas

Offline midlife

• Wiring Guru---let me check your shorts!
  • Global Moderator
    • Midlife Harness Restorations
« Reply #17 on: December 28, 2018, 12:31:51 AM »
I would not submerge any crimped connector/wire in a water solution, as the water will wick into the copper strands and cause corrosion.  Molded plugs are probably OK for what you are doing, though.
Midlife Harness Restorations - http://midlifeharness.com

Offline HDAshmore

« Reply #18 on: December 28, 2018, 12:39:09 AM »
Glad I used test pieces and thanks for answering question number four.  I thought that was going to be the case.  Is there any fluid I could use that would not corode wiring?

Offline midlife

• Wiring Guru---let me check your shorts!
  • Global Moderator
    • Midlife Harness Restorations
« Reply #19 on: December 28, 2018, 08:49:38 AM »
Glad I used test pieces and thanks for answering question number four.  I thought that was going to be the case.  Is there any fluid I could use that would not corode wiring?
Perhaps a quick-drying solvent of some sort, but I still would not submerge any crimped pins for any length of time.  Most pins are still available via electronic catalogs, although the 90* female spades used on brake switches haven't yet been found in the right gender (left/right). 
Midlife Harness Restorations - http://midlifeharness.com

Offline tobkob

« Reply #20 on: December 28, 2018, 10:27:26 AM »
The bleach is what I suspect would cause problems.

TOB
1969 (04/07/69) GT350 owned since 1970. Only owner since Hertz.

Offline HDAshmore

« Reply #21 on: December 28, 2018, 12:31:57 PM »
Thanks for the feedback so far. 

I thought the bleach might affect the wiring colors or coating.  It did not, they came out bright and undamaged.  However, I did not think about what it would do to the copper wires or metal connectors.  I wonder if Alcohol would be a good substitute for water or is it all just a crap shoot and am I wasting my time.  A friend suggested Isopropyl Alcohol because it evaporated quickly and then a spray of electrical cleaner?   I want to believe the cleaner will do a better job than I can by hand but I don't want to ruin a harness over it. 

I'm going to try rubber grommets and plugs tonight to see if it works as well on them.   

Any answers out there on best place to get the tail light harness loom done?

Thanks,
Dan

Offline Bossbill

• In the middle of project hell
« Reply #22 on: December 28, 2018, 01:41:41 PM »
Dan -- as mentioned before, Rhode Island Wiring (RIW).

I don't recall seeing the year of your car since different years may well have different colors on the braid.
Take a very bright flashlight and shine down a length of your harness. Take a few strands off the end under your sill and take a magnifying glass or loop to each strand and see if you can figure out the color. Camera flash will also bring out the color, but brighten the tones.
For my 67 the repops are black since the Ford blueprints call out black. However, that is not what was used on most 67s I've seen. It has a definite green tint to it along with a paper(!) twist. I call the 67 colors khaki (paper) and dark army green in a "V" weave pattern.
If you have paper in your braid then RIW has the paper. I think their paper is a bit too bright so I opted for a slightly more muted color of 4 ply thread.
Bill
Concours  Actual Ford Build 3/2/67 GT350 01375
Driven      6/6/70 0T02G160xxx Boss 302
Modified   5/18/65 5F09A728xxx 347 Terminator-X 8-Stack
Race        65 2+2 Coupe conversion

Offline HDAshmore

« Reply #23 on: December 28, 2018, 04:02:17 PM »
Awesome, Thanks,  Both cars are 1970 Dearborn.  Mach 1 and Boss 302.  January build Mach 1 and March build B2.

Offline 67350#1242

« Reply #24 on: December 28, 2018, 04:25:14 PM »
I'd think placing the harness in a warm oven for a little while would evaporate out any water that may enter through the connectors.  Don't think short term wetting will cause any noticeable corrosion as long as it is dried out right afterwards.
67 Coupe SJ 11/16/66
67 GT350 SJ 2/01/67

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #25 on: December 28, 2018, 04:27:26 PM »
I've had fair to good luck with a paint remover, Krud-Kutter (available at Home Depot). It works on grease, oil and dirt but will loosen paint if it stay on for more than a minute.
Rhode Island Wiring does a good job on 1959 and earlier car wiring harnesses. I hope they decide to expand a couple decade into the future.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline HDAshmore

« Reply #26 on: December 28, 2018, 05:18:18 PM »
Gents,

So far Wiring unlimited and RIW have been recommended.  I have been to both sites and neither do much for 60s-70s but appear to specialize in earlier as Jim stated.  Having said that I am going to try to restore the harness myself.  Zero experience in that, but all the great advice makes me think I can make it happen.  My known big issue is the weave on the tail light harness and wherever else is supposed to have weave for a 1970 Sport roof.  If I do succeed in restoring the wiring my guess is they know how and where to weave the harness.  I know its a simple phone call to the places but I would love to hear from satisfied or dissatisfied members whom have gone down this road.  How they did it, who they used etc... 

Not trying to make an epically long thread but the great advice keeps coming in and it is a lot cheaper than mistakes.

Thanks all and Happy New Year.   

Offline Bossbill

• In the middle of project hell
« Reply #27 on: December 28, 2018, 07:01:32 PM »
Gents,

So far Wiring unlimited and RIW have been recommended.  I have been to both sites and neither do much for 60s-70s but appear to specialize in earlier as Jim stated.

At this point I'm lost.

I thought you wanted to have your loom re-braided?
If so, then RIW can do that -- just pick the colors you need. Their web-site and what they can do are two different things. Call 401-789-1955 and ask for Marcia.

If you needs ends put on, that's another matter and you need to talk to other vendors that can do Ford ends.
Bill
Concours  Actual Ford Build 3/2/67 GT350 01375
Driven      6/6/70 0T02G160xxx Boss 302
Modified   5/18/65 5F09A728xxx 347 Terminator-X 8-Stack
Race        65 2+2 Coupe conversion

Offline HDAshmore

« Reply #28 on: December 28, 2018, 07:19:38 PM »
Bill,.
Sorry,.  Didnt mean to cause a fuss or confusion.  Just looking for the best place to go and both seemed focused on earlier years.   Getting it loomed correctly is the goal, I'll call and talk to Marcia.  Appreciate all the advice and patience.
Dan

Offline HDAshmore

« Reply #29 on: January 15, 2019, 04:59:57 PM »
Update,

Just talked to Marcia from Rhode Island Wiring.  Wow what a wonderful lady and extremely helpful.  Thanks Bill  Once I get these done, I know where they are getting braided at.  I told her she was mentioned on this forum.

MTF soon on cleaning process and the electricians pen outcome.

Dan