Author Topic: 67-70 Trunk Strikers  (Read 1833 times)

Offline C9ZZ-16228-B

67-70 Trunk Strikers
« on: March 30, 2019, 01:00:23 PM »
Can you guys help me confirm my hypothesis on 67-70 trunk latch striker variations?  I've come across three different versions, you can see in the pictures.  They all have "M-S" stamped on the backside that is hidden when installed.

1967 Mustang - Pic 1 right, with two "windows" for the latch to catch (I assume so the striker could be installed either way)

1967 Shelby - not pictured.  Not 100% sure what the difference is, but at http://www.thecoralsnake.com/NOS he mentions seeing some early strikers with rounded corners to facilitate fitment (to the fiberglass decklids)  Interchanges with 67 Mustang version.

1968 Mustang/Shelby - Pic 1 center, with extra wide mounting surfaces.  Also has just one "window", possibly to save money on extra stamping costs. 

1969-70 Mustang/Shelby - Pic 1 left, back to normal size mounting surfaces, but with one "window".

From my bookwork, I've found the following:

Ford MPC Service Part #: C7ZZ-6543252-A
Ford Master Cross Ref Engineering #'s:
C7ZB-6543252-A (April 1966)
C8ZB-6543252-A (October 1969)

Branda's 67 Shelby Assembly Manual on pg 30 shows: S7MS-6543252-A
Ford O.S.I. from January 1970 shows: S7MS-6543252-A MW (mix with) C7ZZ-6543252-A

The illustrations in the 1967-1970 Body Assembly Manuals seem to confirm my thinking, but I'm just curious how accurate this is in the real world.  I find it mildly unusual that Ford would have the same engineering number across two versions (the 67 and 68 body assembly books both show C7ZB-6543252-A) but not unheard of.  So, any thoughts?

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
Re: 67-70 Trunk Strikers
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2019, 03:19:32 PM »
67 Shelby used a 67 Mustang striker . 67 Shelby did not use a unique striker from my observations.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2019, 08:50:08 PM »
Went through my picture collection to see what they installed on the cars originally and came up with the following. Focused this pass through the pictures on mainly San Jose for 67, NJ and San Jose for 68 and  Dearborn for the 69-70 to increase the size of the sampling for this survey

1967 Mustang/Shelby - Two windows with either the oval mounting holes or two holes on both mounting "wings"

Seen this version a few times but rarely. Not some home made modification IMHO have over a dozen examples all made the same way and not of the "extra" holes have been used so not really sure the purpose.

As for Shelby specific. The earliest unrestored examples I could verify this detail on were in the 50's so I have no documentation from the very very early cars.

-----------------------
1968 Mustang/Shelby - Both your two window and the wider base single window, center versions were found. The vast majority were the wider base style. The two window versions (San Jose and NJ) were both on earlier production cars so might have been using up some of the prior years inventory with the approval of the engineers and the head office.

MUCH more common version with the wider base

-----------------------
1969-70 Mustang/Shelby - Standard size base with the single passenger side "window" 

There appears to be two versions of this. May be two different suppliers or just a trimming issue/difference. On the drivers side base some have a flat and smooth edge while others have a small thin tab that is clearly visible

As far as 69-70 Shelbys I found both 68 wide base and the 69-70 standard width base with single windows used on unrestored cars. The use of the earlier version may be the results of the item being installed not by Ford but by AO Smith.

Suggest that if someone wants to drill down and discuss a specific year or model that we do it in those year range in the model year section of the site.
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2019, 06:08:52 PM »
A separate break out of the 67 specific discussion in continued in the thread below

http://www.concoursmustang.com/forum/index.php?topic=20104.0
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)