Author Topic: 3 Speed Toploader  (Read 680 times)

Offline OldNukeET

• ET1(SS)(NUC) GO NAVY
3 Speed Toploader
« on: April 28, 2019, 01:58:26 AM »
This is my first post so here we go-

Starting a restoration on my 66 Coupe and I'm doing the drivetrain first. I have found that there are virtually no video tutorials on rebuilding the 3 speed. There's a ton of 4 speed videos but all you hear is crickets when trying to find the same for 3 speed. So I've begun to document mine from beginning to end.

I have a question though - as i am at the point of pulling off the speedometer gear from the output shaft I noticed that the snap rings have no ear holes. they just have a blunt end that it appears you are supposed to "grab and spread" but who knows since even the shop manual just says "remove the snap ring..." Is this correct that the snap rings are shaped like this or is this a previous rebuild not done well? ???
1966 Coupe / 289 Non-HiPo / 4v / 3-speed toploader / Resto-Mod in progress!

"When did YOU first learn the value of a good mechanic?"
"If it doesn't move like it's supposed to - STOP - You're doing something WRONG!

Offline 65KGT

• 65KGT
Re: 3 Speed Toploader
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2019, 04:26:14 PM »
That is the type of snap ring that I would expect to find. You can remove with snap ring pliers made for rings with the square ends.
The 3 speed and 4 speed are very similar so the 4 speed videos may still provide some guidance.
August 64 Dearborn Coupe

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2019, 07:30:52 PM »
The 3 speed and 4 speed are very similar so the 4 speed videos may still provide some guidance.
Supposedly, the T-10 4 speed is a 3 speed with the 3 speed reverse gear set modified to be fouth gear, and reverse added to the rear section (or something like that). If you're done a T-10 the 3 speed is a piece of cake.
JIm
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline OldNukeET

• ET1(SS)(NUC) GO NAVY
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2019, 09:03:16 PM »
Thanks guys. I seem to seeing the blunt end ring pliers in a set years ago but hadn't recently so you've confirmed what I remember. I'll have to do some net research to find some.
1966 Coupe / 289 Non-HiPo / 4v / 3-speed toploader / Resto-Mod in progress!

"When did YOU first learn the value of a good mechanic?"
"If it doesn't move like it's supposed to - STOP - You're doing something WRONG!