Author Topic: 67 horn Problem  (Read 1268 times)

Offline Captain Kent

67 horn Problem
« on: June 21, 2019, 12:17:44 AM »
If my horn works all the time on one side but periodically on both could the problem be in the contacts at the steering wheel or at the horn?
« Last Edit: June 21, 2019, 03:31:06 PM by J_Speegle »
1967 Lone Star Special. Owned since ‘74
Produced in Dearborn April 7, 67
200 6cyl 3spd
Mustang Monthly; http://www.mustangandfords.com/featured-vehicles/1409-1967-ford-mustang-hardtop-rare-finds/

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
Re: 67 horn
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2019, 12:47:18 AM »
If my horn works all the time on one side but periodically on both could the problem be in the contacts at the steering wheel or at the horn?
It could be ether .You need to jump from the battery to the horn lead to confirm the intermittent horn is working. If it has a off key sound or doesn't work then it may need to be adjusted at the horn contact screw. Screwing in or out will adjust the sound. If that is not the issue I would move on to the ground aspect of the horn.  I would start by making sure you have good ground contact to radiator support . What I do is I will make a bare metal spot on backside of the horn bracket and radiator support where the bracket contacts it . I will then coat the bare metal of both surfaces with dielectric grease .  I will then wad up a small piece of aluminum foil and put between bracket and radiator support (were bolt goes through). This takes up any gap between the bracket and radiator support . I am careful to conceal the foil so it can't be seen. Bolt it down .  At this point you can't have a better ground . If this doesn't solve the problem you will have to remove the steering wheel to check the horn contacts. Sometimes the contacts develop a coating of dirt or corrosion which may be enough to cause a poor contact. Lacquer thinner to remove any grease or coating should do the trick however a little polish with fine sand paper wouldn't hurt ether . If that doesn't work you may have a bad connection at the base of the column where the turn signal switch harness plugs into the main harness. Just a few things to try. 
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline Captain Kent

« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2019, 11:10:14 AM »
I will try all of those and let you know.

Were you in Tulsa last weekend?  My first show after a 4+ year restoration. Owned my car for 45 years.
200 6cyl 3spd
Mustang Monthly; http://www.mustangandfords.com/featured-vehicles/1409-1967-ford-mustang-hardtop-rare-finds/

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2019, 02:29:52 PM »
I will try all of those and let you know.

Were you in Tulsa last weekend?  My first show after a 4+ year restoration. Owned my car for 45 years.
Yes, I remember seeing it on Sunday morning . Very nice.  The weather kept more then a few away.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline Captain Kent

Re: 67 horn Problem
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2019, 06:38:55 PM »
It was the adjustment on the horn!  Thank you!
200 6cyl 3spd

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
Re: 67 horn Problem
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2019, 07:24:30 PM »
It was the adjustment on the horn!  Thank you!
Great to hear it was a easy fix. Count your blessings because you might not get so lucky next time LOL. I know I am not typically so lucky.