Author Topic: Console base repairable?  (Read 551 times)

Offline midnite cruiser

• midnite cruiser
Console base repairable?
« on: August 02, 2019, 01:01:37 PM »
First, I am dealing with a 64.5 A/C auto short console.

As must be the case for nearly all of these originals:
- underside, almost every gusset has flowed from what was surely straight to a melty "S"
- entire top is no longer flat (straight), with varying dips between gusset supported areas a'la 'lasgana
- support ledge and tabs at rear ashtray pocket have worn unevenly and softened, making topside of ashtray lid ~ 1/32 low vs. long top plate

I believe this is all-styrene (?) versus repops I see moulded in ABS.
So I assume a rescue is definitely preferred.

I have applied mild heat and improved some areas but need to go further.

Thinking of using the old long top plate, flipping it upside down against a 2 x 4 support (or similar ), placing the base on it with underside facing me, applying heat, and gently working it toward the underside of the long plate.

Also with that top plate catching sun rays and restarting that ageing process all over again, I am considering a thin insulator under the plate when I remount it.

Comments and suggestions very welcome.
JWhite
64.5 D code convert. / C4 / AC / PS / RP

Offline midnite cruiser

• midnite cruiser
Re: Console base repairable?
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2019, 01:02:35 PM »
Two hours of careful work but this is completed.

Most curious was the shrinkage of the console between middle and rear. This was detected during trial fit of the original top long plate- lugs just behind shifter and the middle pair centered well in the base holes. But the rear lugs were fully 1/8" out, rubbing the back of the base holes.
Trial assy of top plate and rear ashtray confirmed there was not enough clearance to let ashtray lid hinge up without rubbing the back of the top plate.
Careful heating all the way around the 10-12" of base between the two rear pair of base holes, then very gently pulling, I was able to get all the base holes to center the top plate lugs.
Then I removed some other smaller wavy sections with heat, gently working with wooden paddles or taped up pliers or cloth as oven mitts.
Now the plate mounts nicely and the ashtray is properly flush and hinges smoothly in the larger gap, now about 3/32"
JWhite
64.5 D code convert. / C4 / AC / PS / RP

Offline Chris

« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2019, 09:49:14 AM »
I’ve not attempted repairing my console from cracks and PO screw holes, not sure if there are good options other than melting replacement plastic for most repairs.

I believe the originals and repros are made out of the same plastic base material. My console is embossed with a FoMoCo on top under the long trim plate before the ash tray. I’ve not seen many examples like this, maybe due to owners sanding the console during refurbishment over the years.
64 1/2 Poppy Red Convertible, 260V8 auto, 19 June 64

Offline Bossbill

• In the middle of project hell
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2019, 03:08:40 PM »
Or send them to Larry Z.
This seat back had multiple cracks and extra holes.

He did both of my rear interior fiberglass panels (the part  with the fold down seat shelf), these seat backs and the lower plastic trim on my deluxe seats.
Bill
Concours  Actual Ford Build 3/2/67 GT350 01375
Driven      6/6/70 0T02G160xxx Boss 302
Modified   5/18/65 5F09A728xxx 347 Terminator-X 8-Stack
Race        65 2+2 Coupe conversion