Author Topic: Carter fuel pump identification  (Read 5863 times)

Offline 677litre

Carter fuel pump identification
« on: October 02, 2019, 04:34:49 PM »
I can't seem to find what the correct application this fuel pump would have been from.

It's for a Ford FE

It's a canister style button top mechanical unit. Has "CARTER" and U.S.A under it. Date code 21M7B (21st December 1967, second shift) part number is 4008SA no M in front like the repops out there.

Any ideas??  Would it work for a dual quad 428?

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
Re: Carter fuel pump identification
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2019, 06:36:25 PM »
I can't seem to find what the correct application this fuel pump would have been from.

It's for a Ford FE

It's a canister style button top mechanical unit. Has "CARTER" and U.S.A under it. Date code 21M7B (21st December 1967, second shift) part number is 4008SA no M in front like the repops out there.

Any ideas??  Would it work for a dual quad 428?
If the fuelpump in question has the FE pump arm and integral fuel filter then it will work for a duel quad 428 like used on 67 GT500 . However it is not assemblyline correct for that application. The  CAR bur TER  trademark along with the distinct button top design are both mandatory details for a  assemblyline correct fuel pump used on 67 GT500. As you describe  with Carter USA trademark,it is probably for a later year truck application. 
« Last Edit: October 02, 2019, 06:39:12 PM by Bob Gaines »
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline 677litre

« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2019, 08:39:08 PM »
If the fuelpump in question has the FE pump arm and integral fuel filter then it will work for a duel quad 428 like used on 67 GT500 . However it is not assemblyline correct for that application. The  CAR bur TER  trademark along with the distinct button top design are both mandatory details for a  assemblyline correct fuel pump used on 67 GT500. As you describe  with Carter USA trademark,it is probably for a later year truck application.

So other than the CARTER U.S.A instead of CAR bur TER and the obvious part number difference it appears identical and with a 67 build date code.  It would be interesting to know at what point in 67 they change to the CARTER usa and CARTER Canada.

So what's the correct part number for the 67 GT500 dual quads?

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2019, 08:57:37 PM »
So other than the CARTER U.S.A instead of CAR bur TER and the obvious part number difference it appears identical and with a 67 build date code.  It would be interesting to know at what point in 67 they change to the CARTER usa and CARTER Canada.

So what's the correct part number for the 67 GT500 dual quads?
The Carter USA trademark was typically seen in the 68 model year. Of course production dates in 1967 would be needed for 1968 production cars. A Dec 67 date code was long after 67 production ceased.   C6OE 9350 C is the the correct part number for the 67 GT500 dual quads .
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline 677litre

« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2019, 09:43:06 PM »
The Carter USA trademark was typically seen in the 68 model year. Of course production dates in 1967 would be needed for 1968 production cars. A Dec 67 date code was long after 67 production ceased.   C6OE 9350 C is the the correct part number for the 67 GT500 dual quads .

Thanks, do you know off hand the correct Carter part number?

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2019, 10:56:25 PM »
Thanks, do you know off hand the correct Carter part number?

Guess your asking for a current carter number rather than the one used from the 60's. Unfortunately any current Carter will look nothing like an original nor have a built in fuel filter
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline 677litre

« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2019, 11:06:00 PM »
Guess your asking for a current carter number rather than the one used from the 60's. Unfortunately any current Carter will look nothing like an original nor have a built in fuel filter

No actually looking for the 60s Carter proper part number, I didn't see it in your previous reply, unless I miss something?

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2019, 01:28:31 AM »
No actually looking for the 60s Carter proper part number, I didn't see it in your previous reply, unless I miss something?
Yes,you missed the name of the person Jeff Speegle who had not previously posted on this thread. I suppose you didn't look at the names of the people posting and got mixed up. I was the person you were interacting with previously and have just now gotten time to get back to post on this thread. The Carter part number would most likely have a different after market equivalent to the Ford part so I wasn't interested in researching that number . I am guessing you mean the number on the flange used for identification .  The flange number on the 67 GT500 fuel pumps were 3909-S early and 4314-S for later 67 production. All other pumps fall into the "sort of like comparable " and could be considered the next best thing depending on how many details are like the genuine.

Offline 677litre

« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2019, 11:10:18 AM »
Yes,you missed the name of the person Jeff Speegle who had not previously posted on this thread. I suppose you didn't look at the names of the people posting and got mixed up. I was the person you were interacting with previously and have just now gotten time to get back to post on this thread. The Carter part number would most likely have a different after market equivalent to the Ford part so I wasn't interested in researching that number . I am guessing you mean the number on the flange used for identification .  The flange number on the 67 GT500 fuel pumps were 3909-S early and 4314-S for later 67 production. All other pumps fall into the "sort of like comparable " and could be considered the next best thing depending on how many details are like the genuine.

Thanks Bob I appreciate the information.  Yes I was having a hard time reading the post on my phone screen at the time.  This site comes up so small and hard to read, lol.  Was able to read the thread on the PC today.  All good.

I'm still kinda bummed I can't find reference to my pump's part number I have anywhere, Carter 4008SA.  You'd think if it was on a truck in 67/68 it would be a common Carter part number.

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2019, 03:51:19 PM »
Thanks Bob I appreciate the information.  Yes I was having a hard time reading the post on my phone screen at the time.  This site comes up so small and hard to read, lol.  Was able to read the thread on the PC today.  All good.

I'm still kinda bummed I can't find reference to my pump's part number I have anywhere, Carter 4008SA.  You'd think if it was on a truck in 67/68 it would be a common Carter part number.
There are not too many applications that need a fuel filter made into the fuel pump because after 1965 the fuel filter is more commonly at the carburetor . Not so on 67 GT500 and many later trucks apparently which is why the guess.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2019, 04:19:53 PM »

One of our challenges is that most of us use or have MPC's for passenger cars and not for the trunk line. You might find your answer over on one of the Ford truck sites that cover or focus on the 60's. Other option would be to find someone with a counter parts book from Carter from the time period. It might include the ID number as well as the Carter part number. Unfortunately they don't appear to be the same

Just a couple of possibilities
Jeff Speegle

Offline flyingfred

« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2019, 09:43:43 PM »
I believe that I can help throw some fuel on the fire here.

I actually do have most every Ford MPC for many eras of Ford production throughout the years. I even learned to read and understand the books over the many years that I was a parts manager for Ford and Lincoln-Mercury dealers.  ;) I just looked up the pump in question in the 1964/1972 Ford truck book and, of course, it is not listed there. From what I have been able to ascertain, the 4008-SA number seems to be a service replacement number but the date code on the pump does not fit that scenario. The M section of the 4008-SA number will only be found on a Carter box and I believe that the M relates to mechanical as compared to electric.

I encourage constructive criticism here as I am always open to learning new things.

-Fred-

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2019, 10:06:40 PM »
Thanks Fred since I think that few of us (as mentioned) have the truck MPCs

Maybe 677litre will luck out and someone will have a Carter catalog with something in it.

Guess it will continue to be a mystery at least for now

May split your last post about the lettering of the case out to a new discussion - will give it some thoughts as that may promote more discussion, not take us off thread and will make finding related info easier in the future
« Last Edit: October 03, 2019, 10:09:23 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Offline RoyceP

« Reply #13 on: October 03, 2019, 10:55:29 PM »
Summit shows a whole host of low performance FE and 292 applications for the M4008 pump:

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/crt-m4008/applications/

I think its an aftermarket pump from back in the day that is still popular enough to make.
1968 W code 427 Cougar XR-7 GTE Feb 23 Dearborn C6 / 3.50 open
1968 R code 428CJ Cougar XR-7 May 13 Dearborn C6 / 3.91 T - Lock

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: October 04, 2019, 04:17:20 PM »
CARbureTER / CARTER change over discussion has been split off and continues in the thread below

http://www.concoursmustang.com/forum/index.php?topic=21149.0
Jeff Speegle