Author Topic: Remove Paint from Carb topcover  (Read 934 times)

Offline 65fastbk

Remove Paint from Carb topcover
« on: February 24, 2020, 02:34:24 PM »
Hi,

I believe the PO painted the topcover and some of the linkages on my carb.  First question, would this have come stock?  Second question, how would I remove it without damaging the finish underneath.  I tried to lightly scrape it with my finger and it wont budge.

Thanks

Offline RoyceP

Re: Remove Paint from Carb topcover
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2020, 03:47:21 PM »
No they were not that way from the factory. Chemical stripper or bead blasting with walnut shell media would remove the black paint without destroying the surface finish. Either would require disassembly first.
1968 W code 427 Cougar XR-7 GTE Feb 23 Dearborn C6 / 3.50 open
1968 R code 428CJ Cougar XR-7 May 13 Dearborn C6 / 3.91 T - Lock

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2020, 04:10:21 PM »
I use old, contaminated Berryman's B12, a carburetor cleaner, to clean old paint off hardware (fender bolts mostly) before I bead blast them. Get a gallon of Berryman's and a steel pan (like a cake baking pan) deep enough to hold the top. A second one to clean the linkage might help.
Now, ask yourself. Why did the P/O paint the top, rust on some steel pieces possibly?
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline sgl66

« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2020, 04:13:59 PM »
Soak it in 50/50 mix of original Pine Sol and water for ~6-12 hours. It won’t harm the finish and should dissolve the paint. Motorcycle guys have been using this method to clean carbs for years
66 GT 6T09K12---- scheduled Oct 14, bucked Oct 13 '65

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2020, 04:16:17 PM »
I would try paint stripper (my choice)or chemical stripping like the carb cleaner Jim mentioned. Apply stripper then scrub with stiff plastic brush,repeat .It may take several applications to get all of the crevices.  The paint stripper will be less likely to damage the finish compared to blasting IMO .  Walnut shells or soda at safe pressure will most likely work but I think it will take forever.  Of course you could side step a lot of work by simply scuffing the painted surface and cover painting with a paint product like Eastwoods detail gray. It will look better then the black but not as good as the other more labor intensive processes.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2020, 04:41:08 PM »
I use old, contaminated Berryman's B12, a carburetor cleaner, to clean old paint
I neglected to mention I leave the parts in the Berryman's for a week, then rinse the Berryman's off in my garage deep sink with the the rinse water from the clothes washer.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline Hipo giddyup

• There is no end to doing right. Giddyup!!!
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2020, 05:16:44 PM »
+1 to a paint stripper or even a soak in lacquer thinner. I have done both with painted parts like this with good results. They have "citrus" strippers that are less harmful with smells and if it gets on you.. As for the stripper, you only have to leave it on for a few minutes and its done, disassembly is a must as mentioned before. 

I guess you realize you have a special carb there?   ;) Congrats

Bill

1967 Springtime Yellow Coupe, 289 2v 3spd, Metuchen built, Nov. 17th 66'
1966 Sahara Beige Coupe, 289 2v 3spd, Dearborn built, July 21st 66'
1964 1/2 Pagoda Green Coupe, 260 2v 3spd, Dearborn built, June 30th 64'
1966 GT350 Fastback clone, 289 HiPo, 725cfm Holley, 4spd, SanJose built, Nov 25th 65'

Offline mgmradio

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2020, 06:54:18 PM »
My C code coupe had the carb and distributor painted silver when I got it. I used spray carb cleaner and a dull pocket screw driver to remove it. Original surfaces looked perfect.
Formerly the MCA ANHJ 64.5-66!

Offline 65fastbk

« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2020, 12:41:13 PM »
Thanks all, I will try these and post results!