Author Topic: 68 GT Door Speakers  (Read 16582 times)

Offline 68GTFastback

68 GT Door Speakers
« on: January 03, 2011, 12:15:02 PM »
Did all 68 FB GT's w/deluxe interior have door speakers w/lower door grille as standard?

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
Re: 68 GT Door Speakers
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2011, 02:46:20 PM »
Did all 68 FB GT's w/deluxe interior have door speakers w/lower door grille as standard?
No ,the speakers were added behind the door grills depending on what radio the car was ordered with from Ford. Bob
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2011, 08:02:23 PM »
The lower interior door "grills" were standard with the deluxe interior. As Bob mentioned the speakers were dependent on what radio was ordered
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline 67gta289

« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2011, 08:11:43 PM »
what about a radio option that provided for door speakers, but on a standard interior?  Assuming (dangerous, I know ???) that the lower door grilles were the same finned aluminum jobs as on the 67 models, did a standard interior speaker get the same grille or something different? John
John
67 289 GTA Dec 20 1966 San Jose
7R02C156xxx
MCA 74660

Offline 68GTFastback

« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2011, 08:25:07 PM »
My car has the AM radio with 8 track tape player. Did this option have the door speakers and grille?

Offline 68 S Code

« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2011, 10:10:21 PM »
If I'm not mistaken an AM with 8 track is the only radio that gets the door speakers. Anyone know if a good reproduction exists for these door speakers? My originals were replaced long before I got the car and I would rather get some with the correct pigtail wire connector. NPD doesn't seem to carry these. Has Scott drake repoped them?

Offline ruppstang

« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2011, 10:46:03 PM »
In 67 you would have only gotten the door speakers with the AM-8track. In 68 you got them with the AM-8track and the AM-FM radio. You could have had the door grills on non deluxe interiors if you ordered one of the above radio options. Marty

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2011, 12:47:54 AM »
In 67 you would have only gotten the door speakers with the AM-8track. In 68 you got them with the AM-8track and the AM-FM radio. You could have had the door grills on non deluxe interiors if you ordered one of the above radio options. Marty
Just to elaborate- the 67 AM FM was not Stereo and so no need for the grill speakers. In 1968 the AM FM was Stereo and it became necessary to have Stereo speakers in the grills just like with the 8 track Stereo in 67 and 68. Bob 
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline 67gta289

« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2011, 09:18:51 AM »
For both years (might be different) if you have a standard interior with door speakers (and thus grilles) would they have installed the lights also, or were lights only for the deluxe interior?

If not, there must have been four different door part numbers:
1. Standard, no cutout/holes in lower part of door interior.
2. Speaker cutout, no light cutout, with holes for grille mounting  For standard interior with speaker option.
3. Light cutout, no speaker cutout, with holes for grille mounting.  For deluxe interior without speaker option.
4. Light and speaker cutouts, with holes for grille mounting.  For deluxe interior with speaker option.

There would also be three wiring harness configurations:
1. Light only (this is what I have on my 67 deluxe/AM radio)
2. Speaker only
3. Both

Comments? John
John
7R02C156xxx
MCA 74660

Offline ruppstang

« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2011, 09:50:05 AM »
I rather doubt there were 4 different parts. I think the holes were cut on the line according to the build sheet. You are correct on the 4 different apps. There was one more wire harness that included wires for the door ajar, part of the convenience light option. Marty

Offline bwross

« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2011, 10:29:22 AM »
Okay, I have an early 67 FB that Marti reported being ordered with the AM-8track option.  The door panels are essentially standard panels but I assumed that the grill across the bottom was added by a previous owner.  This last weekend I had the door panels off (repairing the window regulators) and noticed that there is a two-wire harness into the door.  Does this mean that the grill/speaker were legitimately there and not an owner add-on??

Bruce

Offline 67gta289

« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2011, 11:36:18 AM »
sounds legit.  do the speaker holes look punched?  another thing to look at are the grille mouting holes.  factory ones are square knockouts with a plastic snap in insert.  if you don't have these and the doors are original they were added after the car left the factory.  john
John
7R02C156xxx
MCA 74660

Offline Toejamm

« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2011, 05:20:49 PM »
Let's see if I can muddy the waters even more.....What speaker system - and grilles - were used if you had a dealer installed underdash 8-track player for a 67-68? 

I am very interested in this thread becuase I have 2 67s and one is going to get the AM/8-track and the other is getting the Ford underdash 8-track.

Thanks,
Fran
Present Mustangs:
1967 Branded Edition Mustang Coupe
1967 Indy Pacesetter Coupe
1997 Woodward Dream Cruise Edition GT Conv.
2008 Bullitt  Pre-Production 1PP01 - Media Car - First Bullitt Made

Offline T Lea

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2011, 06:22:57 PM »
If it had grilles, it had lights whether or not there were speakers. With a dealer installed sound system anything goes. Most dealers farmed out there sound equipment and used aftermarket but if you want to go strictly Ford could be door, single dash or rear speakers. Heck, you could even throw a reverb kit in there.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2011, 10:37:21 PM »
Okay, I have an early 67 FB that Marti reported being ordered with the AM-8track option.  The door panels are essentially standard panels but I assumed that the grill across the bottom was added by a previous owner.  This last weekend I had the door panels off (repairing the window regulators) and noticed that there is a two-wire harness into the door.  Does this mean that the grill/speaker were legitimately there and not an owner add-on??

Sounds original - not based on the wiring (any one could have added that) but the Marti
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)