Author Topic: Cleaning/Restoring automatic transmission cases  (Read 11318 times)

Offline rockhouse66

Re: Cleaning automatic transmission case
« Reply #15 on: June 22, 2013, 06:22:08 PM »
I have had good results on aluminum bellhousings with repeated applications of Simple Green and a stiff brush.  Drench it, leave it on a while, spray again then scrub, rinse, repeat.  Takes lots of elbow grease but eventually yields results.
Jim
'66 GT FB

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #16 on: June 23, 2013, 03:25:36 PM »
I have had good results on aluminum bellhousings with repeated applications of Simple Green and a stiff brush.  Drench it, leave it on a while, spray again then scrub, rinse, repeat.  Takes lots of elbow grease but eventually yields results.
The odor of Simple Green makes me physically sick. I've been using a cleaner called Krud Kutter for many years now. It is primarily a paint remover but handles grease, wax and other bad things. It's available from the paint department at Home Depot. All the other steps listed in the previous posts to get the big chunks off, steam, engine degreaser, wire brushes, etc, should be done first, then use either Simple Green or Krud Kutter. I just finished cleaning the deep sink in my garage with Krud Kutter (it was bad) so add that to the list of things it can do. Also, put your transmission out in the sun on a hot day for an hour or two and then use Eazy-Off oven cleaner. In all cases, try what you are thinking about doing on a small test spot for a couple of reasons: will it work; will it come off; will it leave a stain; will is leave a mess and how do I do it.
Jim 

I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline ruppstang

« Reply #17 on: January 12, 2014, 10:05:12 AM »
Steam cleaning gets most of the stuff. Power wash doesn't do as good . The heat in the steam does wonders. Then go over it with eagle wire wheel cleaner and various size stiff PLASTIC brushes. It is a mild acid product so wear safety glasses ,gloves and ventilated area that has a drain so when you hose it off (obviously you will plug dipstick)

Bob the Eagle wheel cleaner did a great job and it is clean and bright but when it is dry it is a bit dull and chalky. Is there a product to apply that will return the new luster and protect from corrosion? I tried lightly rubbing with some 0000 steel wool in a small area it seemed to help but will do nothing to protect it.

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #18 on: January 12, 2014, 01:55:34 PM »
Unlike iron or steel which rust when exposed to moisture, aluminum forms a protective layer after a period of time when exposed. That's the good news. To get a "cast" aluminum look, use a rough wire wheel and apply some light oil to give it a used look. I also like a trip to the car wash after hours when the owner/attendant is absent.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline 70Twister

« Reply #19 on: January 12, 2014, 09:43:10 PM »
I degrease the trans then I have a small soda blaster I use to get the paint and other stuff off. Makes them look new again! Just did mine I try to post a picture in a day or so.
70Twister
351C Dearborn Build date 10/13/69

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #20 on: January 13, 2014, 02:55:25 PM »
Bob the Eagle wheel cleaner did a great job and it is clean and bright but when it is dry it is a bit dull and chalky. Is there a product to apply that will return the new luster and protect from corrosion? I tried lightly rubbing with some 0000 steel wool in a small area it seemed to help but will do nothing to protect it.
Boe shield will do the trick.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline ruppstang

« Reply #21 on: January 13, 2014, 03:08:06 PM »
I thought of Boe shield but after all this work I did not want to use the wrong product. Thanks!

Offline 65pon

« Reply #22 on: January 14, 2014, 06:52:34 AM »
BBQ or oven cleaner works very well, but you must read the packaging and select a NON-CAUSTIC product to prevent it turning aluminium black.

Offline Daven

• 1969 Mustang Mach I. 9R02R107xxx
Re: 69 C6 trans tailshaft
« Reply #23 on: August 22, 2023, 09:47:28 PM »
What's a good tip for getting the aluminum housing to look original again?  Mine was blasted before assembly but it should have a more uniform finish.  Any great tips?   

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: Cleaning/Restoring automatic transmission cases
« Reply #24 on: August 23, 2023, 12:23:06 AM »
Just to update things there are at least two other threads on the same subject or at least related to aluminum case or body cleaning

https://www.concoursmustang.com/forum/index.php?topic=16135.msg101009#msg101009

https://www.concoursmustang.com/forum/index.php?topic=10132.0
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline KevinK

« Reply #25 on: August 23, 2023, 02:52:46 PM »
I have not tried it on large parts but lemon juice and cream of tartar (spice) does wonders in brightening aluminum. It will not bring back to shiny aluminum.
MCA #33800, Gold Card 3rd Gen
BAMA Member
67 Coupe, 69 Coupe, 74 Coupe, 84 SVO, 84 GT Turbo, 86 GT, 88 McLaren, 89 LX Sport, 03 Mach 1, 07 GT500, 14 GT/CS

Offline RoyceP

« Reply #26 on: August 23, 2023, 06:09:55 PM »
So I was having a very nasty C6 being rebuilt for a 428CJ GT-E - a very rare 1968 version. The transmission looked like it (and the car) had sat in a junk yard for decades. The transmission was caked with mud and very greasy.

The transmission shop tore it down and put it in their industrial parts cleaner. Then they called me and told me it was clean enough to rebuild but it would not be to my standards.

So I picked it up and took it to ACD where they will wet soda blast anything you bring them. The wet soda (bicarbonate of soda) did a fabulous job. Another trip through the chemical cleaner tank and the transmission is rebuilt and in the car looking great.
1968 W code 427 Cougar XR-7 GTE Feb 23 Dearborn C6 / 3.50 open
1968 R code 428CJ Cougar XR-7 May 13 Dearborn C6 / 3.91 T - Lock

Offline rockhouse66

« Reply #27 on: August 23, 2023, 06:43:36 PM »
Royce - it does look great!

Daven - I think once it has been blasted, the only way to improve it is to tumble it.
Jim
'66 GT FB

Offline Countrysquire

• Houston Vapor Blasting
« Reply #28 on: August 23, 2023, 07:09:10 PM »
Very nice Royce!  Look forward to seeing the GT-E when it's finished.

While I prefer to use the '#13 screen' super fine glass bead, the soda in a wet blasting application works very well.  Either media will bring the natural color variations back to the aluminum.  This is actually a color photo, but the best that I had at hand.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2023, 07:48:54 PM by Countrysquire »
Bobby Crumpley
MCA#20316
www.houstonvaporblasting.com/

64.5 Dearborn Coupe
5F07D173***
65A M 86 20F 62 1 5

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #29 on: August 23, 2023, 07:32:42 PM »
Yes it needs to be expressed that your not looking for a consistent - monotone finish on these large parts like is produced with other cleaning methods that can and will destroy the original surface to a point where the effects can not be reversed.
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)