Author Topic: C6 Seal Replacement  (Read 920 times)

Offline Lakeview

C6 Seal Replacement
« on: July 22, 2020, 04:52:27 PM »
Have never dove into an automatic transmission project but have to replace the pump seals on my 1971 C6.  Any special tools or advice.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: C6 Seal Replacement
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2020, 05:03:24 PM »
Nothing  I can think of. Tap it out making sure you don't scratch the seat. Check the surface once it's out - Clean and no burs so that the seal seals well to the tail shaft housing

Tap it back in slowly and a little at a time to make sure it first fits into the depression then follow up with more to seat it fully until the outer lip rests against the end of the tail shaft housing. Put a little trans fluid (just a very light coat)  on the outside of the yoke when you reinsert it into the trans and wipe off the excess on the outside once done.

Sure this is covered in the shop manuals somewhere

Hope this helps
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline 70-Conv_4sp

« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2020, 11:34:23 PM »
Nothing  I can think of. Tap it out making sure you don't scratch the seat. Check the surface once it's out - Clean and no burs so that the seal seals well to the tail shaft housing

Tap it back in slowly and a little at a time to make sure it first fits into the depression then follow up with more to seat it fully until the outer lip rests against the end of the tail shaft housing. Put a little trans fluid (just a very light coat)  on the outside of the yoke when you reinsert it into the trans and wipe off the excess on the outside once done.

Sure this is covered in the shop manuals somewhere

Hope this helps

Hi all - I wanted to chime in to the question at hand, yes & no to the special tools, having had a transmission shop in the late 70's, early 80's I had done a few C6's,
Snap-on had/has great tools for quickly doing it (you may be able to find one to rent these days), but for DYI guys, you can replace the seal, but if the tail house bushing is worn it will at some time leak again. It's not hard to remove the tail shaft housing and replace the bushing and the seal. To replace just the seal all you need is a cape chisel to pop the seal out and replace it. You can fabricate a tool using plumbing supplies available at your Home Depot, Lowe's and Ace Hardware to drive the seal back on. If you like e-mail me at kcorwin@pacbell.net and I will send you a picture of a DYI tool I use all the time.

70-Conv _ 4sp (Keith)

Offline RoyceP

« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2020, 12:13:09 PM »
The pump is at the front of the C6 - why are we discussing the tailshaft housing?

Changing the pump seals involves removing and reinstalling the pump. You will need a torque wrench. Otherwise no special tools are needed. All of the seals get lubricated with Type F prior to installation.
1968 W code 427 Cougar XR-7 GTE Feb 23 Dearborn C6 / 3.50 open
1968 R code 428CJ Cougar XR-7 May 13 Dearborn C6 / 3.91 T - Lock

Offline 70-Conv_4sp

« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2020, 12:32:31 PM »
No disrespect intended, but if you read what Jeff wrote, it mentioned the tail shaft housing and that's what I focused on. Changing a seal on the front pump is not difficult
to achieve, the pump bushing will need/should be inspected, another concern is that the pump is reinstalled as to not break any of the sealing rings on the pump into the clutch drums and that the Torque Converter is properly seated to the front pump prior the re-installation. Just trying to help out

Keith

Offline RoyceP

« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2020, 01:13:12 PM »
Yes I realize Jeff got the thread off topic and did not answer the OP's question. I find the input bushing very rarely wears but the tailshaft bushing is normally shot. Installing new bushings is easy with the correct drivers. Easy to screw up without them. If you are just doing it once it might be wise to carry the new seals / bushings and the pump and / or tailshaft to a transmission shop where they can be installed correctly.

No disrespect intended, but if you read what Jeff wrote, it mentioned the tail shaft housing and that's what I focused on. Changing a seal on the front pump is not difficult
to achieve, the pump bushing will need/should be inspected, another concern is that the pump is reinstalled as to not break any of the sealing rings on the pump into the clutch drums and that the Torque Converter is properly seated to the front pump prior the re-installation. Just trying to help out

Keith
1968 W code 427 Cougar XR-7 GTE Feb 23 Dearborn C6 / 3.50 open
1968 R code 428CJ Cougar XR-7 May 13 Dearborn C6 / 3.91 T - Lock

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2020, 02:36:34 PM »
Sorry missed the word "pump" initially in the OP post and focusing on the wrong seal
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline Lakeview

« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2020, 05:23:24 PM »
Thanks great incite for both ends.  Will be changing all of them.