Author Topic: Front Tie Downs  (Read 1798 times)

Offline Jondors

Front Tie Downs
« on: November 22, 2020, 01:49:53 PM »
I know about the rear tie down brackets, but where was the front of the car tied down for shipping to the dealerships?
1966 SJ Convertible 289/4-Speed w/Deluxe
1966 Dearborn GT Fastback w/Deluxe
1966 Metuchen GT Coupe w/Deluxe
1966 Metuchen GT Convertible w/Deluxe

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
Re: Front Tie Downs
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2020, 02:11:19 PM »
I know about the rear tie down brackets, but where was the front of the car tied down for shipping to the dealerships?
It is typically called a J hook and it inserted in the oblong key way in the front frame rail.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2020, 05:34:53 PM »
It is typically called a J hook and it inserted in the oblong key way in the front frame rail.
Bob,
The picture you included has the caption of "t-hook", which is what we've always called them.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2020, 06:07:23 PM »
Bob,
The picture you included has the caption of "t-hook", which is what we've always called them.
Jim
I am aware of the other name. There is also a R hook. J hook is what I have always heard them generically referred to as is why I choose to continue calling it that . In conversations with others over the years that is what they are referred to as so apparently it is a accepted generic alternative name in more then one circle.  You can call them whatever you want if it bothers your sensibilities.  Online they are often listed as a J hook cluster which includes the several different versions on a ring that tow truck drivers carry. That apparently confirms that I am not the only one referring to it generically as such. Regardless the picture shows what manner of shape it is . 
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2020, 06:45:45 PM »
The same style "hook" (pick a letter) was used at the rear as well, in the oval slot in the "removable" tie down brackets. I guess the general idea was to securely tie down cars (trucks too) in transit with a universal hook and chain.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2020, 07:18:13 PM »
The same style "hook" (pick a letter) was used at the rear as well, in the oval slot in the "removable" tie down brackets. I guess the general idea was to securely tie down cars (trucks too) in transit with a universal hook and chain.
Jim
+1 . I haven't heard of factory driver stories but I have seen some horrific aftermath of regular tow truck drivers getting over zealous in tightening down the hooks leaving a many inch long ripped gash from the hook tearing through the frame rail metal.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2020, 07:43:39 PM »

Hooks and related details are available in a number of prior threads - found one using the words "shipping hooks"

http://www.concoursmustang.com/forum/index.php?topic=10470.msg62640#msg62640
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline 67gtasanjose

• "Take the MUSTANG PLEDGE"
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2020, 08:40:19 PM »
Bob,
Jim
I am aware of the other name. There is also a R hook. J hook is what I have always heard them generically referred to as is why I choose to continue calling it that . In conversations with others over the years that is what they are referred to as so apparently it is a accepted generic alternative name in more then one circle.  You can call them whatever you want if it bothers your sensibilities.  Online they are often listed as a J hook cluster which includes the several different versions...

Attached is a picture of a typical  "RTJ Cluster" used on towing trucks and cargo trailers.

Personally, having driven tow trucks... many names are indeed used, and often based upon geographic areas as well (think "dialect") I am sure...

... in my neck of the woods, the "J Hook" is a really large J-shaped hook that could hook around an axle housing and usually on its own chain or paired with another large J-shaped hook on a sling with a center ring.(to hook twice to the forwards or rearwards tie-down).

In towing, I usually didn't use any other hook except this large J-hook ot sometimes, what I called a T-hook (either one or the other).

This cluster pictured represents IMHO, each "letter-shaped hook" found on what at least this one SELLER calls an RTJ Cluster. Personal choice, I am sure but I will call the hooks by their "letter shape".
Richard Urch

1967 (11/2/66, S.J.) GTA Luxury Coupe, 289-4V w/Thermactor Emissions, C-4, Int./Ext. Decor +many options

2005 (04/05) GT Premium Convertible, Windveil Blue, Parchment Top w/Med. Parchment interior,  Roush Body Appointments

Offline bgp429

« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2020, 09:47:15 PM »
I was in the towing business.  During the 60's - 80's a J hook around the axle and chain to the sling was secure and fast. During that era T hooks weren't sold to the towing industry. I doubt the slots on many vehicles would lock a T in for a horizontal  attachment.   Later on [90's] when rollbacks became available the trucks were equipped with cluster assemblies.  Sometimes T hooks were used on rollbacks if there was spoiler or valance interference but mostly J hooks or chain on all 4 corners. 

With car suspensions being more fragile and no steel bumpers neither are recommended today.

We also towed many new cars from rail yards that had T hooks torn out of the frame during transport. The damage had to be fixed before the vehicle could be sold.

Offline ExportMach

« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2020, 11:19:58 AM »
As Im sure MCA members are aware, there is a story in this months Mustang Times about this topic.
Mark C
Ford T5 registrar www.FordT5.com
MCA certified judge - '69-'70 concours
1970 Mach 1 T-5; bucked Mar 1970
0F05H172XXX; 63C, 6, 3A, 91, 6, 1

Offline Crgjohnson

« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2020, 09:35:27 PM »
70 BOSS 302(Dearborn 10/69) Medium Blue Metallic, CA emissions
70 BOSS 302(Dearborn 10/69) Calypso Coral, CA emissions
09 Shelby GT 500, factory stripe delete

MCA 69-71 concours BOSS gold card judge