Author Topic: 69 SCJ starter  (Read 3017 times)

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
Re: 69 SCJ starter
« Reply #15 on: December 01, 2020, 04:31:18 AM »
What puzzles me is the DOTF 11001-C stamp. I know it has to be made for the big block Ford motor and it has a build date of 1970. Who what where when and why is a big journey on these old classics isn't it.
No the D0TF 11001-C stamp doesn't mean it has to be a big block. It just means that part with the stamp was used in the process of rebuilding a starter. You didn't understand my previous post when I said that starters get rebuilt with parts from other starters . Rebuilders don't care about the engineering numbers in the barrel case as in your example . The starters get put together with various parts from different starters Frankenstein style. In your case the center barrel case component was from another application. It is a all too common story with rebuilt starters.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: December 01, 2020, 06:00:28 PM »
No the D0TF 11001-C stamp doesn't mean it has to be a big block. It just means that part with the stamp was used in the process of rebuilding a starter. You didn't understand my previous post when I said that starters get rebuilt with parts from other starters . Rebuilders don't care about the engineering numbers in the barrel case as in your example . The starters get put together with various parts from different starters Frankenstein style. In your case the center barrel case component was from another application. It is a all too common story with rebuilt starters.

+1 Like most rebuilt parts you could buy over the years these things often become Frankenstein items once reassembled - something from here, something from there. As long as it works they are happy and it goes in a box and off to the customer.
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline keeper

« Reply #17 on: December 02, 2020, 03:22:55 AM »
Yes sir, I get that it was rebuilt and like Jeff said it is a Frankenstien creation now. However, what did the 11001 C come into being for originally. I guess what you are saying is it may have been used on a 429 PI or maybe a 429 Boss. Or maybe a 351 Boss, I just don't know. Just curious is all. I did find a C9AF11001-B  with a rebuilt starter that is available and is Nov. 68 build date. perfect for my car just not my wallet right now. Apparently my Frankenstien starter is not worth much at the end of the day. Other than it works fantastic...:)

Keith 69 Mach1TopLoader/Vcode SJ

Offline keeper

« Reply #18 on: December 02, 2020, 03:36:26 AM »
Bob do you have the correct starter for my 69 scj 12-15-68. 4 speed top loader.

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #19 on: December 02, 2020, 12:50:47 PM »
Bob do you have the correct starter for my 69 scj 12-15-68. 4 speed top loader.
Yes ,I have a C8AF-11001-A  but review reply # 1 so that you are aware of market price vs Napa price difference before proceeding . PM me for more details if needed.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #20 on: December 02, 2020, 01:01:39 PM »
Yes sir, I get that it was rebuilt and like Jeff said it is a Frankenstien creation now. However, what did the 11001 C come into being for originally. I guess what you are saying is it may have been used on a 429 PI or maybe a 429 Boss. Or maybe a 351 Boss, I just don't know. Just curious is all. I did find a C9AF11001-B  with a rebuilt starter that is available and is Nov. 68 build date. perfect for my car just not my wallet right now. Apparently my Frankenstien starter is not worth much at the end of the day. Other than it works fantastic...:)
A C9AF 1101-B marked rebuilt starter may work for your needs but is far from perfect in the context of this forums parameters regardless of the build date. There is a big difference between a rebuilt generic starter that works fantastic and a rebuilt starter with the correct assemblyline engineering number, date and other period detail aspects that works fantastic. ;) It depends on your expectations.

Offline Brian Conway

« Reply #21 on: December 02, 2020, 05:14:18 PM »
This is the one that came with my car.  Nothing ' correct ' about it but works great.  Brian
5RO9A GT  4 Spd Built 5/29/65
9TO2R SCJ 4 Spd Built 9/19/68
Owner Driver Mechanic
San Diego, Ca.

Offline keeper

« Reply #22 on: December 03, 2020, 11:54:10 PM »
Brian, thanks for the share. It is starting to help me see more clearly now. Our starters will get the job done and they look just like an original replacement should look like. I assume it would pass for MCA concourse standards even though they are Frankenstien creations.   :D

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #23 on: December 04, 2020, 03:05:33 PM »
Brian, thanks for the share. It is starting to help me see more clearly now. Our starters will get the job done and they look just like an original replacement should look like. I assume it would pass for MCA concourse standards even though they are Frankenstien creations.   :D
They will pass MCA concours without a mention if they do indeed look like a original replacement . Brian's example does not in several aspects.It depends on the parts used to make the rebuilt starter and other assemblyline details. For instance the nose cone on Brians starter is a 1970+ version with the stiffing gussets which although can't be seen once installed the outside band part can be seen which is different compared to a 60's period part. The stiffing gussets are just a quick way to identify when searching for the proper parts to make up a correct looking starter . The barrel center section should have the square tool plug instead of a Philips as picture correctly has. The bendix cover should be the proper style which the picture properly has . There are different ones depending on year. There should be a gasket under the bendix cover and the band at the back which the picture shows is present under the cover but not under the band. The band in the back did not typically have the small indentations until after 1970 . In thoroughbred the numbers are scrutinized  and have to be correct for the application. In MCA trailered concours the numbers are not checked however the wrong numbers may merit some kind of mention.I would suggest filling in the numbers rather then having wrong ones present. Lastly the entire unit was painted black AFTER it was assembled so all should be black with the exception of the forward edge where good bare metal contact for the ground was being maintained . The forward edge should be a soft line or feathered edge and NOT a distinct cut line as in taped off .This soft line should extend onto the nose cone section . This information should help make it easier to know what to look for and have a more correct starter presentation even though you don't have the proper engineering numbers present. FYI Ford started stamping engineering numbers in starters most typically in later 67 production forward.

Offline keeper

« Reply #24 on: December 06, 2020, 01:53:20 AM »
Bob Gaines, thank you for the information.  Mine does not have the black paint or the gusset band you have mentioned. It does have the square tool plug in the center. Obviously the numbers are not correct as well. At this point I need to get the replacement correctly date coded C scratch long block built and I will be trading out the 428 PI / CJ heads long block out. I will get a photo of the starter and post it in the next day or two. Likely I will be wanting to either make the one I have look better or bite the bullet and get the correct starter from you. A work in progress to be sure. I did get the radiator you sold me recored and painted. I will get a photo of it as well and share on that thread.

Offline keeper

« Reply #25 on: December 09, 2020, 12:45:13 AM »
This is the Autolite DOTF 11001 -C - 0C23B starter I have in service today. Looks like it was black at some point. I will eventually pull it out and either paint it and put it back in or trade it off to some one.

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #26 on: December 09, 2020, 01:15:00 AM »
This is the Autolite DOTF 11001 -C - 0C23B starter I have in service today. Looks like it was black at some point. I will eventually pull it out and either paint it and put it back in or trade it off to some one.
I would suggest reusing what you have. Start by filling in the letters and numbers ,putting in the appropriate gaskets then paint detail it like factory. That will get you by until if and when you find a more correct one. They are other threads using the search feature that will clue you in on what it is expected to look like and how to do it.

Offline sah62

• Mustang 428 Cobra Jet Registry
« Reply #27 on: December 09, 2020, 08:35:45 AM »

That engineering number sure looks like it begins D0AF based on what I see in the picture. If that's the case, and the full engineering number is D0AF-11001-C, the service part number is C5TZ-11002-D. That part was used on the 1970 240 and 302 engines with a standard transmission for full-sized Fords (car line A), Torinos and Fairlanes (car line B), Mustangs (car line F), and Falcons (car line X), 351s with a standard transmission for full-sized Fords (car line A), Torinos and Fairlanes (car line B), and Mustangs (car line F).
Scott Hollenbeck
Administrator, Mustang 428 Cobra Jet Registry
Owner, Muscle Car Research LLC
1970 Calypso Coral R-Code Mach 1 (10/69 T)
2019 Lincoln MKZ 3.0T AWD
2003 Mercury Marauder 300A
(more non-Ford stuff)

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #28 on: December 09, 2020, 11:32:15 AM »
That engineering number sure looks like it begins D0AF based on what I see in the picture. If that's the case, and the full engineering number is D0AF-11001-C, the service part number is C5TZ-11002-D. That part was used on the 1970 240 and 302 engines with a standard transmission for full-sized Fords (car line A), Torinos and Fairlanes (car line B), Mustangs (car line F), and Falcons (car line X), 351s with a standard transmission for full-sized Fords (car line A), Torinos and Fairlanes (car line B), and Mustangs (car line F).
Good to know what the barrel case was from but regardless it is a Frankenstein in this scenario.

Offline keeper

« Reply #29 on: December 09, 2020, 01:49:47 PM »
Oops, it is DOAF-11001-C barrel case. I have been looking at lots of numbers from all different parts lately. My bad. Brian, if you can direct me to the proper thread for improving my starter I would appreciate it. Thank you gentlemen.