Author Topic: Burnin oil not rubber  (Read 1326 times)

Offline 67gta

Burnin oil not rubber
« on: January 11, 2021, 09:09:34 PM »
Hey Folks:
Sorry this is long.

Looking for some ideas on an oil burning problem. Took my 67 390 out of 5 month storage in March and unlike years past I hadn't started it during that time. Previous storage I could get in there once a month and run it. So cranked it for awhile without spark put some gas in the carb and fresh gas in the tank, started up and it ran as usual. But after a few minutes I noticed white smoke coming out of the passenger side tail pipe. I have separate mufflers no transverse but a crossover. Within a few more minutes lots of smoke and oil  droplets coming out of the tail pipe, no sweet smell. Since it was idling smooth and temperature was normal I drove about 10 miles home and from the rear view mirror it kept smoking. Got on it slightly once and it looked like a James Bond smokescreen. Thinking it might be head gasket  I kept it running opened the radiator cap watched for any bubbles no bubbles. The coolant was normal color and at the level it usually is. Let it sit for awhile and checked the oil it was down about half quart. Drained the oil looking for anything milky but it was normal. After the new oil started it up and no smoke, not even an initial cloud. But after about a minute and half then it smoked away. Put in an new NOS PCV valve, disconnected the modulator vacuum line, pressure check the coolant system. Took out the plugs on that side and #3 had wet oil on the insulator the other three were dry. Ok valve seals, replaced the two on #3 and the other intake ones. After 55 years they weren't really bad. No change still about a minute and a half. Compression check next 1-4 159,161,160,158 on the low side but #3 wasn't way off. So I'm at a standstill could it still be the head gasket which usually is a coolant or compression leak. Could it be a worn out or broken oil ring? Any ideas?  47K miles.

Thanks
Jim

Offline 1966KGT

Re: Burnin oil not rubber
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2021, 09:29:24 PM »
Few things to look at, can you see if plugs have a oily residue on one of them? Do you have a way to do a cylinder leakdown test?  May pull valve cover and look at stem seals but that's a considerable amount being used for a valve stem seal, I had an intake leak develop on my 427FE and it consumed oil and smoked. These are a few things that come to mind. Hopefully another member has been through your situation and can steer you a solution. Hope this gives you an idea where to look. Duh! see you found oil on plug.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2021, 09:32:13 PM by 1966KGT »
1966 K GT, BUILT 11/08/65 4 SPEED, SAN JOSE CAR, 1969 Mustang convertible, 1970 MACH 1, 1963 GALAXIE Q code Fastback, 1966 mustang t code coupe, fuel injected

Offline bgp429

« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2021, 12:00:10 PM »
GTA assume an automatic? ATF burns white, pull the hose off the vacuum modulator, check for oil inside the port.

Offline 67gtasanjose

• "Take the MUSTANG PLEDGE"
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2021, 06:32:40 PM »
GTA assume an automatic? ATF burns white, pull the hose off the vacuum modulator, check for oil inside the port.
+1, this idea gets my vote
Richard Urch

1967 (11/2/66, S.J.) GTA Luxury Coupe, 289-4V w/Thermactor Emissions, C-4, Int./Ext. Decor +many options

2005 (04/05) GT Premium Convertible, Windveil Blue, Parchment Top w/Med. Parchment interior,  Roush Body Appointments

Offline bgp429

« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2021, 10:31:54 AM »
Another oil consumption issue people sometimes miss is an intake leak on the bottom side. Intakes tend to leak more on a cold engine.

Offline Brian Conway

« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2021, 03:10:58 PM »
FWIW; had a similar problem with my 428.  Kept oil fouling #6 plug.  Discussed with the guys at the CJ forum and bottom line was " pull the head ".  Not what I wanted to hear but after checking all the stuff you mentioned plus a couple more that is what I am left with.  Brian 

« Last Edit: January 16, 2021, 11:03:01 AM by Brian Conway »
5RO9A GT  4 Spd Built 5/29/65
9TO2R SCJ 4 Spd Built 9/19/68
Owner Driver Mechanic
San Diego, Ca.

Offline 67gta

« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2021, 02:32:35 PM »
Small update. Ran the engine several times from cold with the PCV and modulator line disconnected and plugged. Modulator hose is dry. Same oil burning after about minute and a half. Did pressure check on radiator at 13 lbs. held steady for an hour, both hot and cold. Took a chance and tightened the intake bolts ( alum intake) around #3 and a reduction in the smoke occurred. I'm going to change the intake gaskets, last done in the early 80s. Will change the original lifters also. What a POA job.

Any suggestions on gaskets and lifters. I've been told the gaskets with the steel inside are the best. .060 or .125 thick? There are some lifters that change the lift while at idle giving higher vacuum and more low torque on take off. Gimmick?

Thanks for all the ideas.
Jim

Offline Brian Conway

« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2021, 03:07:18 PM »
Just for yucks... get a vacuum reading before disassembly ?
5RO9A GT  4 Spd Built 5/29/65
9TO2R SCJ 4 Spd Built 9/19/68
Owner Driver Mechanic
San Diego, Ca.

Offline CT428CJ

« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2021, 10:56:34 PM »
Any suggestions on gaskets

Do not use Fel-Pro "Print-O-Seal" intake gaskets.