Author Topic: 69 MACH 1 390 Dress Up Kit Identification  (Read 2746 times)

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: 69 MACH 1 390 Dress Up Kit Identification
« Reply #30 on: June 23, 2021, 01:02:18 AM »
I have a vested interest in 70 Mustangs, but still find time for the 69s!

Ford media publishes some of the old "Fact books". ............................

Thanks for posting does provide for at least a reference to the details

Not sure when that was printed as allot of stuff was produced preproduction or early in the production year. The option is listed in Ford documents - just have to recall where its printed and post.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2021, 01:19:29 AM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #31 on: June 23, 2021, 01:06:39 AM »
Again, based on what I have heard from numerous sources, the 390 IP Engine was always assembled in Deerborn. Then shipped to either San Jose or Metuchen. Mine is a Metuchen car. All the reference books I?ve read, and magazine articles etc., never indicated that there was a chrome appearance package as an option. Since the majority that I have seen have the chrome, I doubt it was a dealer installed options as well. Great conversation, but there?s no concrete evidence. I wish there was so I have something to hang my hat on.

The challenge with "concrete evidence" is that its different for each person - we see it all the time :) Seen way too many unrestored cars with and without the chrome valve covers with dates on the covers that matched well with the other engine parts and dates.

Personally don't put a ton of weight on magazine articles from over the decades and we're well aware of the mistakes or change of plans included in Ford documents.

Discussions and sharing are welcome.
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline Brunofxst

« Reply #32 on: June 23, 2021, 08:42:19 AM »
RPO (regular production option) meant factory installed option.  LPO (limited production option) meant option on the factory invoice, but installed at the dealer during the PDI process.  DLR meant an option or accessory sold and installed at the dealer.  So this document was printed in the beginning of the model year.  And all 390's were to get the chrome package.  So, it makes more sense that towards the end of the model run, they probably ran out of the chrome parts.  That must be the answer.  And if it is, what was the cutoff date? BTW, Thanks for the link!
« Last Edit: June 23, 2021, 08:55:29 AM by Brunofxst »