Author Topic: K Code Drive shaft markings  (Read 533 times)

Offline k-code

K Code Drive shaft markings
« on: February 18, 2022, 01:51:42 PM »
Yes I did search and search again, but didn't find a Dearborn late 64 k code build example.

Cleaned and stripped my driveshaft and I am fairly certain it's a re-tube, no evidence of markings, round weights, no evidence of rust pitting, driveshaft was rebuilt and tube was painted black by a PO.

Slip yoke C3AA-4868-A, also AJ4683-A at both ends. Outside locks, not inside.

Gregory books states two purple, one pink stripes. Is that correct for a Dec 64 Dearborn build? And if so, any measurements from centre of back hole available? Not entering competitions, just want it to look fairly correct for me.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2023, 12:26:34 AM by J_Speegle »
Andy
65 K code coupe, Dearborn, Dec 18, '64

Online CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
Re: Drive shaft markings
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2022, 02:20:08 PM »
I think the Gregory book is wrong again.  Hi-po driveshaft stripes for that time period were usually light green/dark green and I believe a white stripe.  Jack Brooks at deadnutson.com has been restoring these for a while and should have more info.
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline k-code

« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2022, 02:43:21 PM »
Thanks Charles, I tried calling them this morning but they are closed on Fridays and wanted to finish this weekend.
Andy

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2022, 04:19:39 PM »
From a post on the Shelby Forum - www.saacforum.com/ dated 9/24/12 -
From the rear:
- 1 inch space
- 1 inch black ring
- 3/4 inch space
- 3/4 inch LT blue
- 2 inch space
- 5/8 inch LT blue
(I have this nasty habit of writing down stuff like this, including sources and dates. These colors are penciled in my copy of "The High Performance Mustang", by Tony Gregory.)
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline k-code

« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2022, 04:26:35 PM »
From a post on the Shelby Forum - www.saacforum.com/ dated 9/24/12 -
From the rear:
- 1 inch space
- 1 inch black ring
- 3/4 inch space
- 3/4 inch LT blue
- 2 inch space
- 5/8 inch LT blue
(I have this nasty habit of writing down stuff like this, including sources and dates. These colors are penciled in my copy of "The High Performance Mustang", by Tony Gregory.)

Awesome Jim, you made my day! Thanks so much!!

Now, should I paint detail grey, or bare metal and T9 treatments?
Jim
Andy

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2022, 04:38:31 PM »
Yes I did search and search again, but didn't find a Dearborn late 64 k code build example.

Cleaned and stripped my driveshaft and I am fairly certain it's a re-tube, no evidence of markings, round weights, no evidence of rust pitting, driveshaft was rebuilt and tube was painted black by a PO.

Slip yoke C3AA-4868-A, also AJ4683-A at both ends. Outside locks, not inside.

Gregory books states two purple, one pink stripes. Is that correct for a Dec 64 Dearborn build? And if so, any measurements from centre of back hole available? Not entering competitions, just want it to look fairly correct for me.
Given a replacement driveshaft because the weights are different and the driveshaft has external clips instead of the factory internal it is not technically original looking . Consequently the paint markings are overkill and leaving the tube bare metal will not gain anymore authenticity but will add in maintenance IMO. I would suggest painting the replacement driveshaft with a stainless steel color wheel paint available in autoparts stores or the Eastwood detail gray.   
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline k-code

« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2022, 04:44:58 PM »
Given a replacement driveshaft because the weights are different and the driveshaft has external clips instead of the factory internal it is not technically original looking . Consequently the paint markings are overkill and leaving the tube bare metal will not gain anymore authenticity but will add in maintenance IMO. I would suggest painting the replacement driveshaft with a stainless steel color wheel paint available in autoparts stores or the Eastwood detail gray.   

Thats why I mentioned the clips and weights in my original post. Appreciate the feedback.
Andy

Online CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2022, 04:46:42 PM »
Would be a mistake to put blue stripes on your early K code driveshaft, but do whatever you want, it just won't be correct. 
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2022, 05:47:31 PM »
I've found early K code driveline markings confusing since they seem to have changed allot. Have about 40 examples but not allot of matches or patterns so far

Agree that focusing on the paint markings given the other details seems to match. Not like stripes are going to make the driveline details more correct.
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)