Author Topic: Driving on the Coker Tires  (Read 3325 times)

Offline Sunlitgold68

Driving on the Coker Tires
« on: March 30, 2011, 11:53:05 PM »
What a world of difference the reproduction tires make. Just switched out my radial set of tires and installed the US Royal 6.95 x 14's. Aside from looking 10 times better than the radials....I notice these tires are much taller than the radials, at least 1.5 inches in diameter. I'm now wondering how these tires will drive.

Are these reproduction tires well made and safe to drive on? Does anybody know the recommended tire pressure for the 6.95 x 14's? Any other things to be aware of driving on these.
8T01C204XXX

Built May 14th, 1968

Original Owners, custom ordered from Clemmons Ford, Henderson NC

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
Re: Driving on the Coker Tires
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2011, 12:17:57 AM »
What a world of difference the reproduction tires make. Just switched out my radial set of tires and installed the US Royal 6.95 x 14's. Aside from looking 10 times better than the radials....I notice these tires are much taller than the radials, at least 1.5 inches in diameter. I'm now wondering how these tires will drive.

Are these reproduction tires well made and safe to drive on? Does anybody know the recommended tire pressure for the 6.95 x 14's? Any other things to be aware of driving on these.
I hope you don't think the bias ply repro tires are going to drive even close to as good as the radials . For driving purposes and enjoyment as well as safety the radial tire are hands down better then the bias ply original tires. A lot of owners have a set of the repros mounted on show wheels for show and another set of wheels mounted with radials for driving to maximize pleasure and safety.By not driving on the repro tires it keeps the repro set new looking for show. I have heard it said that tire technology is the thing that has advanced the most in the last 35+ years and believe it. The repros bias ply tires are junk regardless of MFG when compared to most any modern radial for driving.  Just my opinion . Bob
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline Sunlitgold68

« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2011, 12:23:25 AM »
I also have a set of radials, I can switch them out in 30 minutes. They sure look ALOT better on the car than the radials do.
8T01C204XXX

Built May 14th, 1968

Original Owners, custom ordered from Clemmons Ford, Henderson NC

Offline TLea

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2011, 08:28:15 AM »
I'm now wondering how these tires will drive.
First time I drove on bias ply tires (in probably over 35 years) after 1/4 of a mile I pulled over and checked the lugs to see if they were loose. Also feels like your steering box suddenly goes sloppy. We have forgotten how bad these were compared to radials. They follow every crack in the road. You'll get used to them and they will be OK, just the maiden voyage is scary. Can't beat the look.
Tim Lea  Shelby concours judge MCA, SAAC, Mid America

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2011, 08:44:03 AM »
+1 to what Tim/Bob posted.

I've driven bias ply tires, no fun at all.  You have to give 110% attention when driving since any little imperfection in the road can pull the car one way or the other.
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline Bill Cabaniss

« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2011, 09:52:20 AM »
Bias ply tires will definately keep your attention while driving. Jerking left and right when there is rough road, squealing on off ramps and curves, slippery when wet. In 20+ years of concours driven division I have been through 3 sets of 6.95-14 tires from coker on my 66 coupe. The last set feel to be the best feeling that i have had. But I still have to be careful. I run 30 lbs. of air all the way around. Unless your front end is perfect you will need to mark and occasionally rotate them. The biggest things I pay attention to with these tires is I start braking a little earlier. I take the curves a little slower.  And double of all of that if the road is wet.
 With all of that being said, I have driven 20+ years without any trouble from my tires. They definately make a first generation car look concours.  Be careful, good luck, any enjoy the view. Bill.
Highland green 68 GT fastback/concours driven since 2000. 8f02j - 1-23-68
raven black 66 coupe/concours driven since 1991.6f07c- 5-14-66
rangoon red 65 Mustang JR. go-cart serial#02. not driven much.
Still drive them to the nationals/they do clean up! 
Gold card judge for 67-68 concours class.

Offline Richard P.

« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2011, 10:36:57 AM »
When I was growing up all we had was bias ply tires, so I've had lot of experience with them. As mentioned by others here you have to drive the vehicle full time. After sitting a while you'll get flat spots with the bias ply tires, until they're driven and warmed up they'll bump along. I did drive a school bus with them so they'll get you where you want to go, just take your time.

Offline TLea

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2011, 11:26:27 PM »
After sitting a while you'll get flat spots with the bias ply tires, until they're driven and warmed up they'll bump along.
I thnk that is only the old nylon tires
Tim Lea  Shelby concours judge MCA, SAAC, Mid America

Offline Richard P.

« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2011, 01:14:10 AM »
My wife's car has been sitting for about three months about three months. I took it out recently and for about three or four miles it bumped along. This finally subsided. Nylon tires will normally make a flapping or slapping sound until warmed up the bias ply on this car bumps. I have two early Mustangs that I show in a concourse driven class both with bias ply tires. They both do the same thing if sitting for a long period of time.

Offline NEFaurora

« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2011, 06:58:02 PM »

Try Firestone's current FR380 P21575R14's or P20575R15's  They are the ticket if you want nice looking radial tires.

Tony K.

Tony Kovar (NEFaurora@aol.com)
1965 Mustang Convertible 200 cid 3spd manual
1966 Mustang Convertible Sprint 200 C4 Auto
2007 Mustang Convertible V6 Auto with "Pony Package".
1966 Mustang Sprint 200 Registry Owner/Moderator
MCA#70001

Offline Asm109

« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2011, 03:20:31 PM »
When I bought my 66 coupe in 1977 it was equipped with Bias Belted tires. After a few thousand miles I went out and bought a set of Winston 205/70R-14 tires.
The first thing I noticed was the effort to turn the wheel in a parking lot went down A LOT.  On the road, things just got better.

Erich

Not goin back to bias ply tires any time soon.