Author Topic: Export Braces - Reference Thread  (Read 995 times)

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Export Braces - Reference Thread
« on: October 11, 2022, 06:02:23 PM »
Thought we might benefit from a stand alone thread on the differences between the different versions of the Mustang and in turn Shelby export braces used through the classic years rather than having members search through other threads more focused on comparing fit or reproduction verses original versions.

The "export" brace was a one piece formed metal piece that secured the shock towers to the firewall/cowl when a car was ordered with the "export package" which contained other parts that made up the package. For Mustangs there were three different forms/versions

#1- 65-66 version with equally spaced mounting holes at the firewall/cowl union point that required re-drilling of the cowl
#2- 67-70 version where the attaching holes at the cowl matched the spacing of the two individual supports they replaced if ordered with the export package
#3- 69-70 Boss 429 export brace that had the same unequal and matching attaching holes at the cowl

Of course over the years many owners have added the braces to cars originally not equipped with them such as Boss 302's or modified cars owners felt would benefit from the change

A quick picture showing the most noticeable feature the attachment hole pattern.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Since the 65-68 Shelby's were ordered with the export package they received the same export brace that the Mustangs with the package received.

In 69 it appears in the examples I been able to find that the export cars no longer received the braces like the earlier cars and used the two piece braces. This continued through 73 or further.  69-70 Shelby cars mirror this and used the non-export two brace system.

Additional specifications of an original was provided by one of our members in the thread below. He provided measurements of the thickness of metal (.131" gauge metal) and the distance across one of the support arms. 2.264" across

Thread - https://www.concoursmustang.com/forum/index.php?topic=12062.msg73074#msg73074

Sure we will be adding addition facts as time passes

Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: Export Braces - Reference Thread
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2022, 06:37:19 PM »
Though its not the export brace a good discussion of the 65-66 export braces would not really be complete without the description and a few pictures of the support brace that was welded to the cowl lip in the engine compartment where the center of the export brace was bolted to. Apparently the engineers figured out that they wanted a thicker and stronger section of the body to body the export brace to and had the plate below added to those cars ordered with the export package on 65-66 examples.

Brace was welded and heavily chalked with sealer producing what many describe as a mess job

Jeff Speegle

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2022, 06:39:55 PM »
Over time an oddity has shown up in a small number of vehicles built during 1967 production where it appears the early evenly spaced export braces were re-drilled and used on the assembly line. No pattern has been established yet but I offer the following examples so we can keep an eye open for additional examples. Must note that equally spaced export braces in the service replacement supply change did not last long as were quick;y replaced with the newer version that did not require re-drilling of the cowl/firewall. Interesting that all three examples are from an approx six week period.

Example from a San Jose built car completed Mar 23, 1967. A Shelby since few export Mustangs were built at San Jose

Example from a New Jersey built car completed April 4, 1967. 6 cylinder export car. Only have the projected build date of May one

Example from a New Jersey built car completed April 4, 1967. One owner export V8. Is in the unrestored picture thread section

Jeff Speegle

Offline RoyceP

« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2022, 07:03:19 PM »
The factory shop manual for each model year has a lot of important dimensions that need to be checked if an export brace does not fit right. A lot of times these cars are wrecked, straightened, and no one knows until that day comes.

1968 W code 427 Cougar XR-7 GTE Feb 23 Dearborn C6 / 3.50 open
1968 R code 428CJ Cougar XR-7 May 13 Dearborn C6 / 3.91 T - Lock

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2022, 07:50:22 PM »
The factory shop manual for each model year has a lot of important dimensions that need to be checked if an export brace does not fit right. A lot of times these cars are wrecked, straightened, and no one knows until that day comes.

Members can find those also in the Library ;) 

Under Installation Instructions   titled 67-71 Frame Alignment Diagrams
Jeff Speegle

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2022, 08:01:02 PM »

Since the 65-68 Shelby's were ordered with the export package they received the same export brace that the Mustangs with the package received.

Thread - https://www.concoursmustang.com/forum/index.php?topic=12062.msg73074#msg73074

Interesting. What you identified in the lower right photo as 1967-70 by the four "unequally spaced mounting holes"  is what I bought four of (over several years starting about 1992) from Swanson Ford (now closed) and they were all identified as C5ZZ-16A052-E, for use on 64 thru 68 Mustangs. It was a direct, single item replacement for both separate firewall to shock tower braces (Ford calls them "Brace, Front Fender Apron To Dash"), C5ZZ-16A052-C and C5ZZ-16A053-B for 64-68 Mustangs (although the 75 ed "Ford Car Parts" - aka MPC) shows only the 1968 Mustang application.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline Daven

• 1969 Mustang Mach I. 9R02R107xxx
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2022, 08:44:54 PM »
Great information Jeff!  Thank you!

Offline PraireBronze

« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2022, 12:49:57 PM »
Interesting. What you identified in the lower right photo as 1967-70 by the four "unequally spaced mounting holes"  is what I bought four of (over several years starting about 1992) from Swanson Ford (now closed) and they were all identified as C5ZZ-16A052-E, for use on 64 thru 68 Mustangs. It was a direct, single item replacement for both separate firewall to shock tower braces (Ford calls them "Brace, Front Fender Apron To Dash"), C5ZZ-16A052-C and C5ZZ-16A053-B for 64-68 Mustangs (although the 75 ed "Ford Car Parts" - aka MPC) shows only the 1968 Mustang application.
Jim

My experience aligns with this.  i worked in a very small Ford dealership's parts department in the mid '80s.  I ordered an "export brace" for my '65 when I was working there.  I can't imagine I would have ordered a C7ZZ and thus it must have been a C5ZZ.  What I received was the unequally spaced hole bar.  Fits perfectly and never thought anything about it.
- Tim -

1965 Prairie Bronze 2+2 (under construction)
Build Oct '64 San Jose
289 4V Automatic Transmission (A-code clone :P )
Black Std Interior
AC, PS, Style Steels, 1" Drop, Konis
Aluminized 2 1/4 Exhaust, Tri-Ys

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2022, 05:27:08 PM »
As usual Ford replaced and expanded applications for service parts to reduce cost and inventory issues through the years. In other examples they simply substituted a different part and number - Example would be battery trays. The larger one size fits all for the smaller on cars originally built with those
Jeff Speegle

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2022, 05:56:46 PM »
Jim

Yes likely bought a dozen or so over the years and all had the C5ZZ paper labels on them.

Checked a 2/68 MPC and it does not list any other than the individual LH and RH standard shock tower supports with a comment of "flat stamping. Also listed is a 66 tubing style for 66 convertibles (C5ZZ-16A052-A and 16A053-A) and Oddly a pair of tubular for 67 convertibles without AC. C7ZZ-16A052-C & C7ZZ-16A053-B  Guess that is a whole "nother discussion
No mention of an export version though we know they carried them

Jeff Speegle

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2022, 07:33:48 PM »
Yes likely bought a dozen or so over the years and all had the C5ZZ paper labels on them.
The ones I bought had a silver/aluminum tape with black letters and a Ford in an oval logo, plus a manufacturing date.
Checked a 2/68 MPC and it does not list any other than the individual LH and RH standard shock tower supports with a comment of "flat stamping. Also listed is a 66 tubing style for 66 convertibles (C5ZZ-16A052-A and 16A053-A) and Oddly a pair of tubular for 67 convertibles without AC. C7ZZ-16A052-C & C7ZZ-16A053-B  Guess that is a whole "nother discussion
No mention of an export version though we know they carried them
The Export Brace is listed in the 75 edition of Ford Car Parts (aka MPC), the one we have in the link to in the library.
See attached. It's shown with a 65 Service number but used on a 68 GT350/500 only.
Jim
(I used Photoshop to "touch up" the page I scaned, then had to convert that scanned version to .jpg via their "Export" feature. Just a bit of irony.)
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.