Author Topic: Underhood light - 68 San Jose  (Read 155 times)

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Underhood light - 68 San Jose
« on: October 24, 2023, 12:32:38 AM »
Rather than adding to the earlier generic hood light thread and following our typical practice of separating out by assembly plants so that the find details and worker practices are not jumbled together if there are any I thought I would start posts for each of the sets I collected in pictures and examples I have. Like often we don't have a real nice since source with all the detailed pictures we would love but at the same time it likely would not be a good idea to base our understanding from a single source so here is what I've collected as of today. If you have an unrestored or original 68 San Jose car with the courtesy package and the hood light I invite you to post pictures in efforts to help others

For others the original All Plant thread is as follows:
https://www.concoursmustang.com/forum/index.php?topic=12282.0

Looking at these and the NJ examples in a separate thread there was a single wire that ran from the light mounded in the center of the hood that traveled down to the bottom (once hood was open) where it exited and was retained with a small plastic retainer. It then traveled under the cowl to firewall pinch weld/lip to the solenoid where there was a inline fuse holder made of white or off white plastic. There are a number of those small thin sheetmetal retainers located in different spots or locations. These retainers of clips look to be the same that were used on 65-66 fastbacks in the trunk holding the wire for the passenger side rear interior light as it traveled across the trunk just below the rear window. Maybe different workers choose different spots when they did it. The wire and in some cases the clip is highlighted in some pictures with yellow arrows.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

8R01S114xxx Only picture of this car is a poor one, up close at the base of the hood once opened

8R01J119xxx
In this one we can see where a past owner disconnected the wire at the fuse holder, wrapped it up and shoved it back in the lower hood hole. We can see that at least two of those small metal clips were used on the installation.

Same car as above 8R01J119xxx On this one we can again see one of those small metal retainers used for the underhood light.

8R1404xxx

8R01J161xxx

« Last Edit: October 24, 2023, 12:54:08 AM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)