Restoring - General discussions that span across many different groups of years and models > Processes, Products & Techniques

chrome plating outside rearview mirror

(1/2) > >>

warp1:
I have a rectangular non-remote outside rearview mirror, casting number C5AB-17743-C which was used on Mustangs over a few years. The mirror body is attached to the base the same way all of the 1960?s Ford cars mirrors were assembled, and probably the 1970?s also.  I want to have it chrome plated. I removed the glass, and have tried to pull the ball end stud out of the base, but was unable. I don?t see how to remove the body from the base without doing damage to it. Has anyone ever disassembled any of the old Ford mirrors? Thanks.

kkupec02:
My 1967 has to be removed from the door via the interior door panel before the base and rectangular part can be separated.

J_Speegle:

--- Quote from: kkupec02 on March 31, 2024, 09:23:37 PM ---My 1967 has to be removed from the door via the interior door panel before the base and rectangular part can be separated.

--- End quote ---

He may be referring to a non-remote mirror. Lets see  ;)

warp1:
I am referring to the non remote rectangular mirrors. Also, I didn't mean how to remove the mirror from the car. What I was asking was how the actual mirror assembly can be taken apart without damaging it. I need to separate the rectangular mirror part from the mounting base. The ball end stud that attaches them together is pressed into the base, and I haven't come up with a way to pull out.

1969 Cale II:
Not seeing how a 65 goes together, my guess is the ball stud you see(mirror head side) is nutted on from the inside. So, you have to take the mirror off the car, look up inside and I bet you see a nut at the end of the stud. I could be wrong, put being press together doesn't sound right.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version