Author Topic: Kelsey Hayes Disc Brake  (Read 2734 times)

Offline mcfly

Kelsey Hayes Disc Brake
« on: October 12, 2011, 12:59:09 AM »
Talking to a guy who is selling some parts and he says he has Kelsey Hayes Disc Brakes. Not sure what year but says they fit 65-67..
If they are for a 66 I would take them..
I am looking for the correct setup not one that will work with mods
Is 67 different than 65-66 ?
How can I tell what year they are from ?

He also has spindles, are 65-66 the same as 67..?

mike
« Last Edit: October 12, 2011, 01:02:09 AM by mcfly »

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
Re: Kelsey Hayes Disc Brake
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2011, 01:49:09 AM »
Talking to a guy who is selling some parts and he says he has Kelsey Hayes Disc Brakes. Not sure what year but says they fit 65-67..
If they are for a 66 I would take them..
I am looking for the correct setup not one that will work with mods
Is 67 different than 65-66 ?
How can I tell what year they are from ?

He also has spindles, are 65-66 the same as 67..?

mike
The 67 calipers have a larger inlet hose fitting size. The backing plates are different shape too. The spindles will work on ether. Many people have used the 67 calipers because that is what the repro calipers are made after plus the 67 style hose has been the only one up untill recently that has been reproduced. Coupled with the correct backing plates one would be hard pressed with a casual inspection to tell the difference between the 65/66 and the 67 caliper set up. Just my opinion. Bob 
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2011, 01:51:32 AM »
Not that you mentioned it but i thought i would mention ,besides the calipers/spindle setup the proportioning valve and master cylinders are different between 65/66 and 67. Bob
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline midlife

• Wiring Guru---let me check your shorts!
  • Global Moderator
    • Midlife Harness Restorations
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2011, 09:13:40 PM »
There are subtle differences in the cylinders and dust boots between 66 and 67, but the overall assemblies are basically interchangeable. 
Midlife Harness Restorations - http://midlifeharness.com

Offline mcfly

« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2011, 09:46:05 PM »
Thanks guys.... going to dig out my originals (if I can find them) and bring them with me to match up..
If I can get them at a good price I will probably take them even if they are for a 67..

mike