Author Topic: My old car was auctioned off again...  (Read 5752 times)

Offline rusty nuts

Re: My old car was auctioned off again...
« Reply #15 on: December 26, 2012, 09:08:08 PM »
Charles
Was that car a really early GT? and can you tell us more about the history of the car. I'm very suprised at how high it went for but none the less that's a great result and you should be very proud. Did the car originally have the styled steel wheels? or did the owner after you put them on before it went to auction. Also I notice the fuel cap wasn't a GT one did the first GT's come with the standard fuel cap?

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #16 on: December 26, 2012, 09:50:53 PM »
Wow, forgot about this thread!

The car was not a particularly early GT, it most likely was built at the end of May '65.  The scheduled build date was 24 May, but I found a 25 May sheet metal stamp on the cowl, so assume it was built a few days or a week late. 

Don't know any history previous to 1976, it was owned by a guy in Gaffney, SC at that time and then 2 owners between 1979-2002 in SC, before I bought it.  The DSO was Richmond, VA, so maybe it sold new in Virginia, not sure.

I found no evidence that the GT had styled steel wheels originally and I didn't have any original paperwork.  For all I knew, it had standard hub-caps.  I installed knock-off wheel covers on it when it was restored as it seemed to fit best with the other options/appearance of the car.  The owner after me installed the repro SS wheels and radials.

The GT gas cap was not used until '66 production.  All '65 GT cars would have had the standard gas cap... even GT350's used the standard mustang gas cap for '65.

Yes, I was very surprised what it sold for, but the second sale seemed to legitimize the first.  I'm still not sure why it went that high, it was a very nicely done car, but there are areas that I would restore differently today.  It definitely had a lot of plus(es), like all original sheet metal and floors.  Every piece of sheet metal was original to the car, even the valences.  Being a 4sp GT convertible makes it desirable, but you would think with it having standard interior and no a/c that it would hurt the value.  It didn't seem to make any difference.  Maybe it was because the car looked like something you could buy in 1965 instead of what you see on most show-fields... cars loaded up with options that were not on them when new.  I tried to stay as true to how the car was made as possible, which maybe separated it from other restored cars.

Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #17 on: January 01, 2013, 11:07:06 AM »
First want to say, absolutely beautiful restoration work done on the car!

Can you elaborate on the areas you mention above you would restore differently today?

I restored the car 8 years ago, have done a few more since then.  The cool thing about restoration is you keep learning, the more you're involved in the hobby.  Whether it be from wrenching on the cars, judging or observing other cars, including low mileage examples.

If I had to specifically state certain areas, it would mainly be the suspension/undercarriage finishes and some of the fasteners.  If I had the car back and could spend about a month detailing, could get it up to even better standards now.

It's still a great reference car and others use photos from it as a guide in restoring their cars.  Just keep in mind there is no such thing as a perfect restoration.
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline ekerö

« Reply #18 on: January 02, 2013, 10:36:44 AM »
Just looked thru all the photos, thanks for a few hours of quality entertainment and education!

Great inspiration for my May San Jose -65 GT Cab, se photo.

//Jesper

Offline classicsguy

« Reply #19 on: January 06, 2013, 08:25:50 PM »
It has always been my dream to have a concours restored Mustang,Great looking car Charles...I loved it,love the color too. Are you still restoring Mustangs for other people?

Offline jacks65gtvert

« Reply #20 on: May 25, 2013, 07:58:29 AM »
no surprise  :D