Author Topic: What does Concours restored mean, exactly?  (Read 32403 times)

Offline bryancobb

• Silver Level Subscriber
  • 2009 Ridn' Around
Re: What does Concours restored mean, exactly?
« Reply #60 on: July 26, 2012, 08:37:26 PM »
  Why is it so hard for people to understand this concept?

Charles, you are more or less, a hero of mine.  My car is much better and more accurate because of you and the info you have blasted me with.

However, a car is a machine.  A machine that is not operated is nothing more than a bunch of parts.  It's like judging a C6OE-A water pump, or giving a GOLD trophy to a 50 year old tire on a newly painted and detailed rim!

You can see how stupid that sounds.

For a machine to be worthy of competing and being judged against other machines, proper operation should be mandatory !  Whether it leaks fluids or not, whether it makes noises it's not suppose to, if it's smooth, if it works correctly...

It's clear that all of that makes restoring a MACHINE at least three or four times as difficult.  Anyone can refurbish a water pump.  Not everyone can refurbish and OPERATE a water pump without it leaking or making noise or vibrating.
66 Metuch Conv
Nightmist, Std Blu Int
6T08C223904    76A       K         22       15c     21      6        6
                      BODY  COLOR   TRIM    DATE   DSO   AXLE  XMSN
   C/O  785                                   (rotation #)
   16    C14   6T08C223904        (weld bay 16, bucked MAR 14)

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #61 on: July 26, 2012, 08:54:40 PM »
I guess we will just have to agree to disagree.  While I understand your logic, I consider restoration to be artwork and a tribute to something that once was by returning it to its former glory.  I don't have to "use" it to make it a valid form of art.  It doesn't matter what the original intent of the object was.

It's all of little consequence.  The K code convertible I restored could easily be cranked and driven, there was no expense spared to make it an operational car, we just decided not to operate it!  I would wager that if that car was operational, it would far exceed the expectations of anyone and probably run and drive better than just about any car of it's age and condition.
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #62 on: July 26, 2012, 10:50:59 PM »
I guess we will just have to agree to disagree.  While I understand your logic, I consider restoration to be artwork and a tribute to something that once was by returning it to its former glory.  I don't have to "use" it to make it a valid form of art.  It doesn't matter what the original intent of the object was.

It's all of little consequence.  The K code convertible I restored could easily be cranked and driven, there was no expense spared to make it an operational car, we just decided not to operate it!  I would wager that if that car was operational, it would far exceed the expectations of anyone and probably run and drive better than just about any car of it's age and condition.
I understand both points of view and think nether wrong . There is room in the hobby for both schools of thought. This is the same degree of separation as the open track configured driven cars compared to the original configured driven cars. Celebrating the same machine just in a little different way.   :) Just my opinion.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2012, 10:52:33 PM by Bob Gaines »
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #63 on: July 27, 2012, 12:29:27 AM »
That's exactly right Bob.  There is room in the hobby for everyone, some just enjoy it in different ways.
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline ruppstang

« Reply #64 on: July 27, 2012, 09:28:33 AM »
I have not heard anything from the MCA that would indicate there will be any changes in the rules for Concours trailered and Thoroughbred regarding this. The annual judges meeting will be at Mustang OK. following the awards banquet. Marty

Offline midlife

• Wiring Guru---let me check your shorts!
  • Global Moderator
    • Midlife Harness Restorations
« Reply #65 on: July 27, 2012, 09:21:01 PM »
What does Concours restored mean, exactly?

If you have to ask, then you don't have enough money.  ;)
Midlife Harness Restorations - http://midlifeharness.com

Offline C5ZZKGT

• Gold Level Subscriber
« Reply #66 on: July 28, 2012, 02:17:10 PM »
If you have to ask, then you don't have enough money.  ;)

Ok, I HAD enough money for my car's restoration, but guess I didn't work close enough with my restorer to make it clear that all systems had to work and operate so I could drive the car on weekends if I desired to-I went into the restoration with a hint of resto-mod on my mind, but my restorer talked me out of that, and for that I am thankful! It would have been a crime to put a Haarz cloth convertible top on, radial tires, and some other stuff I've even forgotten about now.......these cars, to me are far more valuable (1965 K GT Convertible) restored to complete (Concours) condition than modifying them......