Author Topic: Headlight Logo Etching  (Read 16351 times)

Offline Skyway65

• Gold Level Subscriber
Headlight Logo Etching
« on: July 14, 2012, 09:30:04 AM »
Has anyone ever successfully etched the FOMOCO logo onto a headlight?  I have a pair of correct NOS GE 6012 headlights for my '65 as well as the correct artwork copied from an original light.  But I am having a difficult time finding someone who is able to reproduce such a small, detailed stencil to etch the logo onto the headlight.  Any ideas would be appreciated.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2012, 12:35:13 PM by Skyway65 »
Gary Schweitzer
MCA #00181
Traverse City, MI

"A work of art in the form of a Mustang"

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
Re: Headlight Logo Etching
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2012, 11:19:42 AM »
Has anyone ever successfully etched the FOMOCO logo onto a headlight?  I have a pair of correct NOS GE 6012 headlights for my '65 as well as the correct artwork copied from an original light.  But I am having a difficult time finding someone who is able to reproduce such a small, detailed stencil to etch the logo onto the headlight.  Any ideas would be appreciated.
You are retracing the steps that many before you have tried and failed . The best of luck with your effort.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline Skyway65

• Gold Level Subscriber
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2012, 12:34:36 PM »
Thanks for that Bob; I was hoping for something better than that!  :o
Gary Schweitzer
MCA #00181
Traverse City, MI

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2012, 06:33:12 PM »
I would look at the process some used a long time ago putting the FoMoCo on the older Fords of the 30-40's When I played with those guys would use a putty on the glass and press in a stamp for the design then followed with a light (ait  brush style) sand blaster to etch the glass.

Just a thought ;)
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline ruppstang

« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2012, 12:18:21 AM »
I too was following that path till I found a nice set of TS lamps. I was going to try a PS Auto Glass Co. They put the Carlite logo and build date on their windshields so I thought it might be possible that they could help. Good luck if you try it. Let us know. Marty

Offline C5ZZKGT

• Gold Level Subscriber
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2012, 01:49:41 PM »
I'll bet PS can do it. What headlights does someone need to start with?

Offline mgmradio

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2012, 02:37:03 PM »
I wouldn't think it would be that hard to do. A few years back we had a recall on Ford Contours were the factory had left the AS1 markings off the windshield. We were provided rub on masks ( like the vinyl decals dealers use) that we put on the glass then applied a dab of etching solution that we let set for a few seconds then wiped off. After scraping off the mask it left a perfect etching. The problem would be finding someone to cut the masks. Possibly one of the decal makers for modeling.
Formerly the MCA ANHJ 64.5-66!

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2012, 05:08:05 PM »
Another problem is the flutting (lines ,ribs etc.)in the glass is different then the vintage bulbs.  GE is different now ,Tung Soll is gone ,and Westinghouse is the molded type. So even if you find someone to etch the logo in the glass , the different flutting is a visual giveaway that can be seen long before you get up close enough to see a etched trademark.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline ruppstang

« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2012, 03:28:43 PM »
I have some plain vintage bulbs that work. Marty

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2012, 06:48:31 PM »
I had to replace a burned out headlamp today. It was a Ford factory installed, etched Tung-Sol bulb. Arggg! Well, I got a set of NPD Wagners, plus a set of Westinghouse cast-in for show purposes. Stock up while you can.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline Skyway65

• Gold Level Subscriber
« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2012, 10:23:44 AM »
Another problem is the flutting (lines ,ribs etc.)in the glass is different then the vintage bulbs.  GE is different now ,Tung Soll is gone ,and Westinghouse is the molded type. So even if you find someone to etch the logo in the glass , the different flutting is a visual giveaway that can be seen long before you get up close enough to see a etched trademark.

I was able to locate a couple of NOS correct GE 6012 lamps.  I have also located a stenciling place that claims that they can do the small mask stencils and still maintain the detail.  I will update as the project progresses.
Gary Schweitzer
MCA #00181
Traverse City, MI

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2012, 12:29:47 PM »
Somewhat on the same subject but will hopefully be usefull info is to be careful sending vintage used bulbs through mail,ups etc. The movement during shipping is the cause of about a 50%or more failure rate once it gets to it's destination and tested.Always test once you receive one. They may not light up at all or when you light them up, they flash ,fill with smoke and are useless. I typically only buy at swap meets or get a guarantee from online buyer that way if it happens I have a better chance of getting a replacement or money back. Typically a seasoned bulb seller know better then to guarantee a shipped bulb.

Offline C5ZZKGT

• Gold Level Subscriber
« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2012, 08:07:46 AM »
I had to replace a burned out headlamp today. It was a Ford factory installed, etched Tung-Sol bulb. Arggg! Well, I got a set of NPD Wagners, plus a set of Westinghouse cast-in for show purposes. Stock up while you can.
Jim

I thought the new Drake repros were Westinghouse......at least Westinghouse-looking......can't they just get rid of the stupid attempt at simmiliar logo and put the right Westinghouse logo on it?

Offline carlite65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2012, 09:50:33 AM »
think it had something to do with copyright stuff.
5F09C331248

Offline C5ZZKGT

• Gold Level Subscriber
« Reply #14 on: August 12, 2012, 07:01:26 AM »
I was able to locate a couple of NOS correct GE 6012 lamps.  I have also located a stenciling place that claims that they can do the small mask stencils and still maintain the detail.  I will update as the project progresses.

Nice work Gary, please keep us informed