Author Topic: Headlight Logo Etching  (Read 16348 times)

Offline C5ZZKGT

• Gold Level Subscriber
Re: Headlight Logo Etching
« Reply #15 on: August 12, 2012, 07:03:02 AM »
think it had something to do with copyright stuff.

Fred, I asked Paul Kerner about that straight up and he said no, that wasn't the reason.......kinda makes us wonder though...

Offline C5ZZKGT

• Gold Level Subscriber
« Reply #16 on: August 12, 2012, 07:08:30 AM »
Guys, The older repros with the etched logos.......I understand that they were plant-specific on headlights.....I have the etched repros on my July 1965 Dearborn car......I have been told that THEY are correct from that plant and time frame......wonder why these repros aren't made anymore??

Offline C5ZZKGT

• Gold Level Subscriber
« Reply #17 on: August 12, 2012, 09:36:53 AM »
Guys, Here are the etched repros that I have on my July 1965 Dearborn car, the ones that are said not to be available/made anymore, note-they are standard incandescent lights:http://www.cjponyparts.com/headlight-sealed-beam-incandescent-with-fomoco-script-1965-1968-1970-1973/p/HL7/

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #18 on: August 12, 2012, 12:58:36 PM »
I don't know where you got your information from about "not being available anymore" but I've got a set of the same etched headlights from NPD waiting to go on my car. I've had them for at least eight years, and they are Wagners. I previously sold a set of Wagners that I had for a couple of years to a club member then for a judged car show she was going to, then replaced them with some new ones, also from NPD.
That being said, Wagner was not making headlights for Ford in 1964-73 (I don't even know if they were even in existance). The prime bulb suppliers were Tung-Sol (their logo was TS), General Electric (aka GE), Sylvania (spelled out) and Westinghouse (a "W"). Some Ford logos were etched and some were cast in, all on the center of the bulb front. I have a set of cast in Ford logo made by Westinghouse (I thought they were GE). They are date coded for 1968.
With the current "politically correct to the environment thinking" going on, all incandescent bulbs are the devil's creation and you will use halogen or LED bulbs as replacement.
My advice is to stock up before the thinking gets to you.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #19 on: August 12, 2012, 01:12:18 PM »
Guys, Here are the etched repros that I have on my July 1965 Dearborn car, the ones that are said not to be available/made anymore, note-they are standard incandescent lights:http://www.cjponyparts.com/headlight-sealed-beam-incandescent-with-fomoco-script-1965-1968-1970-1973/p/HL7/
A point of posting protocol, if you leave a space before and after a link you include in your post, any reader can click on the highlighted link and go there instead of copying and pasting. Just a hint.
http://www.cjponyparts.com/headlight-sealed-beam-incandescent-with-fomoco-script-1965-1968-1970-1973/p/HL7/
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #20 on: August 12, 2012, 01:31:28 PM »
The etched bulbs were unavailable for a couple years and then recently a vendor came out with the odd "Westinghorse" or what ever deviant of the logo molded in halogen. I see that someone is now making the etched incandescent again from your link . Before it was based on a generic Wagner bulb with a etched FORD logo applied which as Jim mentioned was not a OEM supplier to Ford and which looked odd on the repro bulb. I wonder who makes these new bulbs now which are advertised made by a OE supplier in the new and improved link ? It really bugs me that these bulbs are refereed to as a reproduction because they are some of the worst examples of reproduction when compared to original that are out there in the aftermarket world. Slapping a FORD logo on some bulb that does not look close other then the basic shape should be a insult to all of us. I guess it is frustrating that with technology today something better couldn't be made and marketed even at the elevated price it would no doubt have to be . Just my opinion.       
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline C5ZZKGT

• Gold Level Subscriber
« Reply #21 on: August 13, 2012, 09:13:51 AM »
The etched bulbs were unavailable for a couple years and then recently a vendor came out with the odd "Westinghorse" or what ever deviant of the logo molded in halogen. I see that someone is now making the etched incandescent again from your link . Before it was based on a generic Wagner bulb with a etched FORD logo applied which as Jim mentioned was not a OEM supplier to Ford and which looked odd on the repro bulb. I wonder who makes these new bulbs now which are advertised made by a OE supplier in the new and improved link ? It really bugs me that these bulbs are refereed to as a reproduction because they are some of the worst examples of reproduction when compared to original that are out there in the aftermarket world. Slapping a FORD logo on some bulb that does not look close other then the basic shape should be a insult to all of us. I guess it is frustrating that with technology today something better couldn't be made and marketed even at the elevated price it would no doubt have to be . Just my opinion.     

OK so now you guys are going to rag on the fact I made a mistake as to how I posted a link to the lights.....wow!
AND, then 1 says he doesn't know where I get my info as to the incandescent etched lights wern't available anymore, 1 says he has had the incandescents for 8 years, 1 says the "NEWEST" Incandescents aren't any good either........
I'll bet the manufacturers of the repro lights and other repro stuff are sitting back laughing their asses off at us all the way to THEIR bank!

ALL I was doing is sharing information that I had heard in the feild about the Incandescent etched lights, I didn't realize that someone IS evedentally making the etched ones again until I found the listing on CJ's site after doing a Google  search!
I remember back when Brant started a post about the Drake lights coming soon and he was under the impression that THEY were going to be Incandescent and they turned out to be Halogen.

I firmly believe the technology exists to make a nice bright halogen light to look exactly like an original Incandescent with the proper logos both for the Ford script and the manufacturers logos.

I also asked the question about these headlights being plant-specific and don't think I received an opinion or answer on that-anyone know? -seems there are 2 choices on the market now:Halogen EMBOSSED with a bad attempt at a look-alike manufacturers logo, and an Incandescent with ETCHED logo and (I guess) someone said the fluting wasn't right....
« Last Edit: August 13, 2012, 09:51:49 AM by C5ZZKGT »

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #22 on: August 13, 2012, 11:27:43 AM »
OK so now you guys are going to rag on the fact I made a mistake as to how I posted a link to the lights.....wow!
AND, then 1 says he doesn't know where I get my info as to the incandescent etched lights wern't available anymore, 1 says he has had the incandescents for 8 years, 1 says the "NEWEST" Incandescents aren't any good either........
I'll bet the manufacturers of the repro lights and other repro stuff are sitting back laughing their asses off at us all the way to THEIR bank!

ALL I was doing is sharing information that I had heard in the feild about the Incandescent etched lights, I didn't realize that someone IS evedentally making the etched ones again until I found the listing on CJ's site after doing a Google  search!
I remember back when Brant started a post about the Drake lights coming soon and he was under the impression that THEY were going to be Incandescent and they turned out to be Halogen.

I firmly believe the technology exists to make a nice bright halogen light to look exactly like an original Incandescent with the proper logos both for the Ford script and the manufacturers logos.

I also asked the question about these headlights being plant-specific and don't think I received an opinion or answer on that-anyone know? -seems there are 2 choices on the market now:Halogen EMBOSSED with a bad attempt at a look-alike manufacturers logo, and an Incandescent with ETCHED logo and (I guess) someone said the fluting wasn't right....
I actually thought Jim was polite in the way he pointed out the link issue ? I only thought of the post in a friendly helpful way not meant to be disrespectful. I hope you were kidding and didn't take it in a disrespectful way. I do think we need a emocticon that symbolizes "friendly" for instances like this.Sometimes a smiley face can be taken as smurking and inaproprieate. Like the two glass toasting each other for friendship on another forum I frequent. The written word can be tricky to decipher emotion and intention sometimes.  I made 2 failed attempts to link to the bulb listing before the improved link was posted. So it was helpful to me . I don't think the bulbs were meant to be plant specific however with that said there were suppliers that took care of the vast majority of the bulbs used at certain plants. For instance I have only seen GE and TS on SJ plant cars but would only be mildly surprised if I saw another mfg bulb. Dearborn used TS extensively. Others can fill in blanks . Besides the fluting on the etched incandescent bulb there was always a issue with the MFG logo because Wagner was not a OEM supplier to Ford. I don't know if the new incandescent is the same Wagner or not. At any rate both repro types are sorely lacking in appearance IMHO.

Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline Skyway65

• Gold Level Subscriber
« Reply #23 on: August 28, 2012, 04:38:32 PM »
The stencils have been ordered-should be here in a week.  Fingers crossed that they will work. In the meantime these are the results that I achieved with a simple rubber stamp duplicating the logo from one of my original headlights.
Gary Schweitzer
MCA #00181
Traverse City, MI

"A work of art in the form of a Mustang"

Offline ruppstang

« Reply #24 on: August 28, 2012, 11:11:23 PM »
Hey that looks pretty good. I can't wait to see the etching. Marty

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #25 on: August 28, 2012, 11:19:04 PM »
Looks good should turn out well. BTW not all of the FoMoCo script headlights I've got have the little printing over the top of the logo
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #26 on: August 29, 2012, 02:45:42 AM »
The stencils have been ordered-should be here in a week.  Fingers crossed that they will work. In the meantime these are the results that I achieved with a simple rubber stamp duplicating the logo from one of my original headlights.
They look better then I expected.

Offline Skyway65

• Gold Level Subscriber
« Reply #27 on: August 30, 2012, 08:36:28 AM »
They look better then I expected.

thanks Bob-- :)
Gary Schweitzer
MCA #00181
Traverse City, MI

Offline Skyway65

• Gold Level Subscriber
« Reply #28 on: September 11, 2012, 07:20:11 PM »
Well the stencils turned out better than I expected and the results are stunning.  This process worked perfectly.   :D

First step is to apply the stencil, second step is blast it for a few seconds with the sand etch gun, the third  step is to pull off the tape, final step-stand back and admire!
« Last Edit: September 11, 2012, 07:47:54 PM by Skyway65 »
Gary Schweitzer
MCA #00181
Traverse City, MI

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #29 on: September 11, 2012, 08:20:14 PM »
Thanks for sharing Gary - figured it would work well (based on the early car stamp and puddy practice I've seen in the past. Glad there is another option for the do it yourself crowd
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)