Author Topic: Correct 69 Mach rear leafs?  (Read 7673 times)

Offline Andrew@MagMustangs

• MagMustangs: Original Parts for 64 1/2-73 Mustangs
    • MagMustangs
Correct 69 Mach rear leafs?
« on: August 21, 2012, 12:24:09 AM »
Trying to figure out what the Correct Rear Leaf Springs are for Mid-July 69 Built Mach 1. 351W 4V, the buck tag states GT. Car had C7ZA-AT springs come off it. The best I can figure from my book is that it should have C7ZA-AN or AR springs?? What do the judges typically find?? It is a very late car.

Thanks, Andrew
MagMustangs: Vintage Mustang Enthusiasts. We have Original Factory Parts for 1964 1/2-1973 Ford Mustang.   Like Us On Facebook. https://www.facebook.com/MagMustangs

• MagMustangs
Re: Correct 69 Mach rear leafs?
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2012, 03:30:34 PM »
Bumping this. I have a customer who really needs to know what is correct before he builds his car for MCA Concours and ends up losing points for the wrong leaf springs.
MagMustangs: Vintage Mustang Enthusiasts. We have Original Factory Parts for 1964 1/2-1973 Ford Mustang.   Like Us On Facebook. https://www.facebook.com/MagMustangs

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2012, 11:15:50 PM »
Trying to figure out what the Correct Rear Leaf Springs are for Mid-July 69 Built Mach 1. 351W 4V, the buck tag states GT. Car had C7ZA-AT springs come off it. The best I can figure from my book is that it should have C7ZA-AN or AR springs?? What do the judges typically find?? It is a very late car.

Well first IMHO don't look at the "book"   :)   IF its the Master Parts Catalog it likely only lists what was available and recommended at the time the "book"  was printed NOT always what came original to the car.

With that said -

Do the date codes from the AT match or are close to what we would expect for the given build date of the car??

Did you find a paint code on either of the two leaf springs ?  (if so we can compare that to other similar cars built around the same time)

That should get us started
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

priceless

« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2012, 09:35:24 AM »

Thanks, Andrew
Where was your Mach 1 built?...Dearborn,San Jose or Metuchen?

• MagMustangs
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2012, 01:05:34 PM »
Those are all great questions and I will contact him and find out. I didn't realize the leafs were date coded. Jeff, what is the date code format on them? is it a Month-Day-Plant or a DDMMYY format? Thanks for helping. Andrew

Edit: I agree about not going by the book on instances like this. That is why I wanted to confirm here. From what I have been told, this is a previous MCA Gold Award Car, but I know things have been changed in it, like the Motor. I don't think it is very common for anyone to change the rear leafs to another original ford set, usually they go with new leafs, but since he said the ATs came off it and the book didn't match, I needed to find out what was going to be accepted by the judges who would be looking at his car.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2012, 01:09:39 PM by MagMustangs »

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2012, 06:13:00 PM »
Here is where you look

Jeff Speegle

Offline Brian Conway

« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2012, 09:49:20 PM »
Here is where you look

That's a great photo.  If you want to tell your friend where to look;  Bottom of the smallest leaf and aft of the axle/shock bracket.  Brian

5RO9A GT  4 Spd Built 5/29/65
9TO2R SCJ 4 Spd Built 9/19/68
Owner Driver Mechanic
San Diego, Ca.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2012, 12:31:45 AM »
Thanks Brian - picture was taken too close to show the location.

Did look at a later 69 Windsor Mach I today - rear springs were rough and the paint marks were gone. Maybe I can make out the markings if I play with the contrast. Will see
Jeff Speegle

priceless

« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2012, 09:25:31 PM »
Our Mach 1 is a Feb.69 NJ built Windsor engine Mach. Let me know if anyone needs some info.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2012, 10:38:52 PM »
Our Mach 1 is a Feb.69 NJ built Windsor engine Mach. Let me know if anyone needs some info.

The engineering number off of both your rear springs (as well as the date from the bottom row) might be helpful if you could post it.  How your car was equipped would be needed also.

Thanks
Jeff Speegle

priceless

« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2012, 07:46:39 PM »
Here are a few pics of the engineering numbers and I'm assuming the 0359 number is some sort of date code. Thats the only numbers I found. These are the original leaf springs that came on this Mustang from the factory.

Our '69 Mach 1 is an "H" engine code 351-2V Windsor, no P/S, no A/C.  It was built on Monday, February 24th 1969 in Metuchen, NJ.

The first pic is of the drivers side(L.S.), the second pic is of the passenger(R.S.), the numbers are the same.

This Mach 1 has been in my wifes family since January 1970 and I met her in 1979, so I know these are the original leaf springs....Hope this helps.

« Last Edit: September 08, 2012, 07:51:30 PM by priceless »

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2012, 11:40:59 PM »
Thanks - haven't seen 69 springs stamped that way (that supplier) Interesting
Jeff Speegle

Offline sah62

• Mustang 428 Cobra Jet Registry
« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2012, 08:42:30 AM »
Here are a few pics of the engineering numbers and I'm assuming the 0359 number is some sort of date code.

Could be Julian date (035, count of days from January 1st) and year (9). If so, it translates to February 4, 1969.
Scott Hollenbeck
Administrator, Mustang 428 Cobra Jet Registry
Owner, Muscle Car Research LLC
1970 Calypso Coral R-Code Mach 1 (10/69 T)
2019 Lincoln MKZ 3.0T AWD
2003 Mercury Marauder 300A
(more non-Ford stuff)

priceless

« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2012, 10:57:26 AM »
That's interesting. Let me know what you guys can find out...Thanks

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: September 09, 2012, 05:02:47 PM »
Could be Julian date (035, count of days from January 1st) and year (9). If so, it translates to February 4, 1969.

Same thing I was thinking (dating method)  just the pattern of the way the information is applied to the leaf and those dots at the end of the engineering number.

Feb 4th might make it a quick trip from the supplier to the car plant but not knowing the distances it should be possible.   

Interested what Andrew finds on the springs in question
Jeff Speegle