Author Topic: Power Steering Hoses  (Read 8403 times)

Offline C5ZZ

Re: Power Steering Hoses
« Reply #30 on: October 30, 2012, 11:58:34 PM »
Steve,

There's a difference in the overall length of the hoses, too - with the C5DZ being longer than the C3DZ by about 1 inch. Really happy with the NOS find. I got a NOS pump to control valve pressure hose, too. And it looks exactly like the original.

Did you notice the paint markings on the center link?

Pete,
Yes I did notice the paint markings, have seen the same thing on a clean centerlink
from a southern car that I had a while back, I would say they are factory markings
and not from a wrecking yard.
MCA # 00945

65 Fastback, 6 cyl, AT, AC, PS, PB
Rangoon Red/Red Interior

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #31 on: October 31, 2012, 12:19:48 AM »
Pete,
Yes I did notice the paint markings, have seen the same thing on a clean centerlink
from a southern car that I had a while back, I would say they are factory markings
and not from a wrecking yard.

Well then lefts look at it this way. From what time period are the center links? If factory markings we should be able to find others from the same time period to support the idea ;) Don't think we see yellow used until later in the 60's on this application but we'll see

While we're discussing the center link in the picture - does that center link look bent to anyone else???
« Last Edit: October 31, 2012, 12:21:56 AM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline Pete Bush

« Reply #32 on: October 31, 2012, 09:20:47 AM »
I bought all the power steering related parts from a fellow in Michigan that was parting out a donor car. I've emailed him to find out if he can provide the build date.

Attached is a picture of the center link. It has a different part # for the 6-cylinder (C5ZZ 3304-B) than that used on the 8-cylinder (C5ZZ 3304-D). The one pictured seems to match the illustration in the MPC.

And while we're at it, I've attached a picture of the steering box I purchased out of the same donor car. It too, has paint markings.
'66 6-cylinder Sprint Convertible
Metuchen - Scheduled May 10th; Built June 21st

Offline C5ZZ

« Reply #33 on: October 31, 2012, 05:45:32 PM »
Well then lefts look at it this way. From what time period are the center links? If factory markings we should be able to find others from the same time period to support the idea ;) Don't think we see yellow used until later in the 60's on this application but we'll see

While we're discussing the center link in the picture - does that center link look bent to anyone else???

Jeff, the power steering centerlink, control valve, idler arm, pitman arm, tie rod ends
are all unique to 65/66 6 cyl cars, none of it interchanges with 65/66 V8.
It is a strange animal with the bend in the centerlink and the bolt on section that threads
onto the control valve. It's rare, not many 6 cyl cars had power steering in 65/66

The one I had was marked in the same area in a similar way, don't recall what colors were
used so that may vary as has been discussed before.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2012, 05:48:39 PM by C5ZZ »
MCA # 00945

65 Fastback, 6 cyl, AT, AC, PS, PB
Rangoon Red/Red Interior

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #34 on: October 31, 2012, 07:32:17 PM »
Thanks - forgot this was a 6 cylinder thing (and mark) rather than a V8)   Center link still looks mighty strange ;)
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline Pete Bush

« Reply #35 on: October 31, 2012, 08:47:54 PM »
The TRW pump that came with the rack is dated May 11, 1966.
'66 6-cylinder Sprint Convertible
Metuchen - Scheduled May 10th; Built June 21st