Author Topic: Rebuild alt for 65 in orange county  (Read 1251 times)

Offline DKutz

Rebuild alt for 65 in orange county
« on: May 04, 2015, 12:09:38 AM »
I have AMK autolite  alternator I got back when they made the correct repops for my 289.  It's acting up and I think something is off inside. Diode pack?  Or stator?  I am mechanically inclined but elec is not my strong point.  Does anyone know someplace I can take the alt to get it tested and fixed in Orange County?  Not sure I would know how to do it myself...
« Last Edit: May 04, 2015, 12:18:12 AM by DKutz »
1965 Mustang Fastback 'A' Code, silver Blue Met, Med blue int. Auto, San Jose, 10/8/64 #1449**

Gone but not forgotten - 1996 Mustang GT

Offline suskeenwiske

• 214-347-3628
Re: Rebuild alt for 65 in orange county
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2015, 09:11:27 PM »
Most Auto Supply Stores should be able to check the Alternator for you, usually free of charge. This is not always 100% though. I recently had an Alternator checked and tested good. When I disassembled it, I found that there was an entire Diode missing from the Diode Pack.

Checking the Diodes is easy if you have a Digital Multimeter with a Diode Check Option, if it doesn't, using the Ohm's setting will work also. A good Diode will read around .400 - .500 when measured in one direction and show open when measured in the opposite direction. If you receive a low reading in both directions or an open in both directions, that particular Diode is bad.

The Stator could be at fault as well as the Rotor; both aren't difficult to check. Look for any obvious areas of wire darkening, this may be an indication of a short induced hot spot; not usually the issue unless the Alternator is very old. Look for any melted tape around the Rotor Windings or Resin that has peeled away from the Stator Wire. Also check all the Solder Connections for poor or cracked Solder Joints.

Be sure to look at the Brushes for damage or wear and inspect the Rotors Copper Slip Rings for gouges that may have been caused by damaged Brushes and make sure that the nuts, bolts and screws are tight.

There may also be a Radio Suppression Capacitor inside, check that as well; it should read as an open circuit.

While you have it apart check the Rear and Forward Bearings; they should be silent when turned by hand; you'll have to check the Rear Bearing by turning the Rotor Shaft manually. Any noise or sloppiness requires replacement; they're easy to find.

Have you checked the Voltage Regulator and the external Alternator connections?

The photo is of a 1965-1966 Alternator.

Hope this is of help.

Ray
Ray
1965 Dearborn Coupe
6 Cylinder, AT, PB, PS, AC
Est. Build 23A

Offline suskeenwiske

• 214-347-3628
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2015, 09:36:34 PM »
I found and copied some pages out of an old Ford Training Manual...may be helpful.

Ray
Ray
1965 Dearborn Coupe
6 Cylinder, AT, PB, PS, AC
Est. Build 23A

Offline Texas Swede

« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2015, 11:49:43 PM »
Are you sure it's the alternator and not the regulator. If you have an AMK regulator
which is built like originals for 38 or 42 amps and using the AMK alternator which gives
61 amps the regulator will stop working after a while. Guess how I know, my AMK alernator killed two AMK regulators until I switched to an aftermarket electronic regulator with the
AMK cover. Since then everything worked fine. Some time ago I changed to DeadNutsOn alternator as they use original casings.
Texas Swede

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2015, 03:52:51 PM »
Jack Brooks at DeadNutsOn rebuilt an original alternator for me once, turned out nice.
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin