Author Topic: Four way flasher location  (Read 16549 times)

Offline rodster

Re: Four way flasher location
« Reply #30 on: May 22, 2013, 10:05:58 AM »
Yes, emergency flashers are different from regular flashers,
four lights flashing versus two, if you look on it there is a
different number, 536 for four way flasher, 552 for turn signal flasher

Did you happen to get a chance to see where your harness plugs in for power?

Thanks for the info.

I took a quick look and think it looks like the the wiring in the drawing picture above but need to double check. It's been too hot lately  to crawl under the dash.  :o

I'm a bit confused.

Is the above wiring drawing the dealer add on method and the factory is different or is that still being resolved?
1965 Dearborn Mustang Coupe
Raven Black - Palomino Pony
1967 Dearborn Mustang Conv.
Wimbeldon White - Red
1984 SVO - 2A

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #31 on: May 22, 2013, 06:07:49 PM »
Extension wires (female plugs) are not used in Mustangs.  I believe they were put there for temporary lights (like a movable light to place on the top like a cop car?).
This is not true, there is a factory installed extension cable (C5DB-18A919-A) used to supply power to the radio. The extension from the cigar lighter terminal for power to the dealer installed flasher harness is another. There are two triple female socket connectors under the dash (switched and constant voltage) to attach the Rally Pack lights, back-up lights,  radio dial light and other accessories.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline midlife

• Wiring Guru---let me check your shorts!
  • Global Moderator
    • Midlife Harness Restorations
« Reply #32 on: May 22, 2013, 10:31:08 PM »
This is not true, there is a factory installed extension cable (C5DB-18A919-A) used to supply power to the radio. The extension from the cigar lighter terminal for power to the dealer installed flasher harness is another. There are two triple female socket connectors under the dash (switched and constant voltage) to attach the Rally Pack lights, back-up lights,  radio dial light and other accessories.
Jim

I think we are talking about two different but related things.  The radio power cable is typically plugged into the three-prong plug tied directly to the fuse box, and that 3-prong plug also supplies power to the backup lamp circuits.  Since most 65's did not come with e-flashers, the radio still had to get power.

For 1966, the e-flasher harness also has two far left extensions: one blue and one orange.  One offers a blinking voltage; the other is always hot (but fused).  These are the female plugs I was referring to that seem to have no usage in Mustangs.  Obviously, they can be adapted.  I suspect the always hot line can be used for the rally pack clock power, but the manuals state to get it off of the door switch. 

The two triple female sockets are (1) switched ACC power for radio, back-up lamps, etc., and (2) dash lamp signals for radio, rally packs, etc. 
Midlife Harness Restorations - http://midlifeharness.com

Offline MWM

« Reply #33 on: May 22, 2013, 11:16:17 PM »
Midlife,
I read the following post about the extra wires.

http://thecareandfeedingofponies.blogspot.com/2009/01/emergency-flashers.html

The part of Mark's response was interesting.

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #34 on: May 23, 2013, 12:42:30 AM »
Midlife,
I read the following post about the extra wires.
http://thecareandfeedingofponies.blogspot.com/2009/01/emergency-flashers.html
The part of Mark's response was interesting.
If you look at the 2nd picture in the above link, you will see two wires going to the flasher connections, and they are the same color as the two wires in question in the 3rd picture. The way the circuit is shown in the 65 Electrical Assembly Manual, page 84, they are used for an indicator light. Also in the above link, the harness assembly is identified as NOS, which could be used in several applications (different years, or different models), ones where both the left and right turn signals are the emergency light indicators, the 66 factory original and the NOS replacement, or in an earlier application, (like 64-65) where there is a single indicator lamp in the dash for both left and right turns and that single bulb is not part of the emergency circuit. In order to see activation of the flasher you need an indicator, which is what these two wires do.
Extension wires (female plugs) are not used in Mustangs.  I believe they were put there for temporary lights (like a movable light to place on the top like a cop car?).
You made a general statement and I found it to be potentially confusing, which is why I answered the way I did.
Jim     
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline NEFaurora

« Reply #35 on: May 26, 2013, 11:36:48 AM »

" (like 64-65) where there is a single indicator lamp in the dash for both left and right turns"

HUH?!?

You lost me here with this statement..

Please explain.

Thanks,

Tony K.
Tony Kovar (NEFaurora@aol.com)
1965 Mustang Convertible 200 cid 3spd manual
1966 Mustang Convertible Sprint 200 C4 Auto
2007 Mustang Convertible V6 Auto with "Pony Package".
1966 Mustang Sprint 200 Registry Owner/Moderator
MCA#70001

Offline C5ZZ

« Reply #36 on: May 26, 2013, 02:13:47 PM »

" (like 64-65) where there is a single indicator lamp in the dash for both left and right turns"

HUH?!?

You lost me here with this statement..

Please explain.

Thanks,
Tony K.

Tony, on the 65 "Falcon" style cluster there is one indicator light (on the right)
that flashes for right or left turn signals, the indicator on the left is
for high beam, see picture below.
MCA # 00945

65 Fastback, 6 cyl, AT, AC, PS, PB
Rangoon Red/Red Interior

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #37 on: May 26, 2013, 02:19:01 PM »

Tony, on the 65 "Falcon" style cluster there is one indicator light (on the right)
that flashes for right or left turn signals, the indicator on the left is
for high beam, see picture below.
You beat me to it, thanks.
Jim

Offline NEFaurora

« Reply #38 on: May 26, 2013, 07:45:49 PM »

Oh Ok..  I know what you're talking about now...

Has anyone ever wondered why they never did the left side turn signal on the '64-'65 Falcon or '65 Mustang cluster??  It seems weird..

Just curious..

Tony K.

MCA#70001

Offline NEFaurora

« Reply #39 on: May 26, 2013, 07:52:45 PM »

It would have made more sense for the High Beam indicator to double as the Left Hand Turn signal indicator.  It doesn't seem like it would have been Rocket science even back then in the '60's to do this.. It would be a nice mod for the '65.  I wonder if anyone has ever considered doing this.  It sure is in the proper place!

Tony K.

MCA#70001

Offline csxeng

« Reply #40 on: January 07, 2015, 08:43:30 PM »
Hope this reply helps other members on this question. Six Pictures. The photos uploaded are for the 1965 mustang original Emergency Flasher & Switch which mounts on left side of lower dash in the ā€œDā€ hole. The orange with yellow stripe wire which is spliced to a faded blue with white stripe wire is used to connect to the cigar lighter hot wire, which is the Blue with White stripe wire main harness. The flasher unit is number 536 and is used for this application while the turn signal flasher is number 552. This setup is in my 1965 fastback with a scheduled build date of October 13th 1964. There is only one "D" hole stamped into my lower leftside dash instead of two because of the early production date. Later production cars had the two "D" holes at that location. The Emergency Flasher was an option for the 1965 year. In 1966 the feds stepped in mandating it as standard equipment so the location was in the glove box. Hope these pics help out and feel free to ask questions.
Dave V.

Offline rodster

« Reply #41 on: January 07, 2015, 10:37:49 PM »
Very nice first post.  ;)

Welcome!
1965 Dearborn Mustang Coupe
Raven Black - Palomino Pony
1967 Dearborn Mustang Conv.
Wimbeldon White - Red
1984 SVO - 2A

Offline NEFaurora

« Reply #42 on: January 08, 2015, 05:06:36 AM »
I have noticed that the 1966 Emergency Flasher wiring assembly has two extra wires with barrel connectors (A Blue wire, and an Orange wire)

Since the 1965 Emergency Flasher wiring assembly does not have these EXTRA TWO BLUE AND ORANGE WIRES, I am thinking that these are redundant accessory wires for extra 1966 accessories.

Does anyone know what the EXTRA TWO BLUE AND ORANGE WIRES with Female barrel connectors are for on the Early 1966 Emergency Flasher wiring assembly ???  Does anyone know?

So according to MIDLIFE, The two extra Female Orange and Blue wires are not used in the Mustang???  Well, What could I use them for if I wanted to?? Extra Power??

My Mid May 1966 Convertible has the Emergency Flasher wiring assembly integral within the harness so it is no help here.

:o)

Tony K.

Midlife....Where are you?
« Last Edit: January 08, 2015, 05:12:54 AM by NEFaurora »
MCA#70001

Offline midlife

• Wiring Guru---let me check your shorts!
  • Global Moderator
    • Midlife Harness Restorations
« Reply #43 on: January 08, 2015, 08:35:22 AM »
I don't see why you couldn't use those female bullet connectors for other purposes.  One is tied into the cigarette lighter; the other could be used for another flasher output.
Midlife Harness Restorations - http://midlifeharness.com

Offline NEFaurora

« Reply #44 on: January 08, 2015, 01:26:07 PM »

Thanks Midlife!

The point is, On the Mustang, The extra female wires were meant NOT to be used unless you had an added lighting accessory. The '65 harness does not have these two extra blue and orange female wires..and the mid '66 to late 66 harness had the emergency flasher INTEGRAL within the entire harness.

Mystery solved.

I guess if there is any question left, It's what you could actually attach to the extra blue and orange wires that are sitting there not being used. Any ideas??

I'm thinking that I could use the extra Orange wire for an added cigarette lighter power source for my IPOD.  That would be a good use, but I would probably have to ground the outside of it to make it work.

Tony K.
MCA#70001