Author Topic: Mustangs at MickYard: Who's Going?  (Read 8294 times)

Offline carlite65

• Global Moderator
Re: Mustangs at MickYard: Who's Going?
« Reply #15 on: September 03, 2013, 12:18:22 PM »
i will follow up with this positive comment. all the disney folks that i had contact with at the hotel, conceirge, etc. were extremely friendly & helpful. they were very understanding of some of the problems participants were experiencing there but was out of their control. the rooms were great and the food was ok.
5F09C331248

Offline AU SNK

« Reply #16 on: September 03, 2013, 12:38:12 PM »
I hate it for the host clubs that there were so many issues because you know they worked hard to put the show on..

How involved is the MCA on a national level in these shows in helping them?
Unrestored 66 Metuchen, NJ Fastback 6T09C2435XX
Sauterne Gold Metallic, Lt. Ivy Gold Crinkle Vinyl and White Crinkle Vinyl, Pony Interior

Offline carlite65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #17 on: September 03, 2013, 12:55:08 PM »
there is a page/document on the mca site that deals with the requirements for hosting a national show. i don't have the link handy but it spells out exactly what the responsibilities are. search for 'national show requirements'.
5F09C331248

Offline bluemax

« Reply #18 on: September 03, 2013, 01:24:26 PM »
I hate it for the host clubs that there were so many issues because you know they worked hard to put the show on..

I agree.

One thing that will always ruin a good thing is logistics, just ask the Asheville club. Your show site has to be able to accomodate the traffic; show cars, trailers, suppot vehicles, vendors, and spectators. We can not control the weather , although I knew going in that early Sept in Central Florida was going to be hot, but we can plan for the logistics.

Sometime during the planning phase leading up to the show the question about hosting the site indoors at the convention center was thrown out as a possible option. I heard several reasons over the weekend why that didn't work out, but based upon the fact that Dream Cars was going on at the same time, in the same hotel, I doubt it would have worked anyway... there was just not enough parking for all of the various vehicles. I rode on a bus Saturday night over to Epcot and one poor guy was lost trying to figure out how to get back to his parked car after visiting the hotel for the Dream Cars event... what a mess.

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #19 on: September 03, 2013, 01:34:14 PM »
I'm not sure how involved MCA is once the shows are approved, but it seems it would be in the best interest of the national organization to work closely with these clubs in making sure everything is done right.  There are usually 5 of these per year, they ought to run like clockwork with contingency plans for weather, etc...

Hate it for the host club, from what I understand, all the work they did will barely have them break even with expenses.  Disney evidently was not bashful about charging an obscene amount for the show site.  Most I have ever heard of, if including the cost of the trophies too.
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline AU SNK

« Reply #20 on: September 03, 2013, 02:55:49 PM »
Also would be nice if the MCA would have the awards ceremony either Sat night or first thing Sunday morning and cut down on the fluff. We did not get home Sunday night till close to midnight and I am sure there were many others that had further to drive than us.
Sauterne Gold Metallic, Lt. Ivy Gold Crinkle Vinyl and White Crinkle Vinyl, Pony Interior

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #21 on: September 03, 2013, 03:12:09 PM »
Also would be nice if the MCA would have the awards ceremony either Sat night or first thing Sunday morning and cut down on the fluff. We did not get home Sunday night till close to midnight and I am sure there were many others that had further to drive than us.

As much as I understand folks wanting to get back home in a timely manner, there has to be some give/take from the MCA/regional club to advertise and show-off the club as much as possible.  That's only fair, considering the tremendous amount of time involved in hosting one of these national shows.

Offline AU SNK

« Reply #22 on: September 03, 2013, 03:38:38 PM »
As much as I understand folks wanting to get back home in a timely manner, there has to be some give/take from the MCA/regional club to advertise and show-off the club as much as possible.  That's only fair, considering the tremendous amount of time involved in hosting one of these national shows.

I agree with you on that and was not referring to that part of the ceremony, what I am referring to is having a guy walk around for close to an hour rambling on about much of nothing and needing a earlier start time.

Offline carlite65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #23 on: September 03, 2013, 03:43:36 PM »
+1 on the rambling. lots of people were getting antsy.
5F09C331248

Offline aslan

« Reply #24 on: September 03, 2013, 09:28:29 PM »
Having co-chaired the 2007 Concord MCA show, I fully understand what a massive amount of work it is in putting one of these show on.  I've also come to the conclusion that no club should do an MCA show without having helped in at least a couple of other MCA shows.  I'm not talking about attending but actually working one.  I've gone to too many shows where there were major problems because of the lack of understanding in putting on an MCA show.  I'm also realizing that putting one on in an establish business (Disney) takes a lot of say from the club (which should know how to do it) and hands it over to novices. 
Just my 2 cents.
Stan Edington

Offline 67gta289

« Reply #25 on: September 04, 2013, 08:15:59 AM »
I've been to 3 national shows this year and see repeated opportunities to improve things.  I would hope that someone (ok, more than one) from MCA would recognize the issues and develop a plan to avoid any and all repeated "mistakes".  There will always be new challenges - but with planning, communication, and follow through the issues should be limited to the new ones.
John
67 289 GTA Dec 20 1966 San Jose
7R02C156xxx
MCA 74660

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #26 on: September 04, 2013, 10:36:32 AM »
I've been to 3 national shows this year and see repeated opportunities to improve things.  I would hope that someone (ok, more than one) from MCA would recognize the issues and develop a plan to avoid any and all repeated "mistakes".  There will always be new challenges - but with planning, communication, and follow through the issues should be limited to the new ones.

Totally agree.  MCA needs to step it up and do more than provide a document to the club.  Seems like there ought to be start/stop/continue type conversations with MCA and each host club after national shows.  This would be invaluable information to improving things.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #27 on: September 04, 2013, 10:58:13 PM »
Totally agree.  MCA needs to step it up and do more than provide a document to the club.  Seems like there ought to be start/stop/continue type conversations with MCA and each host club after national shows.  This would be invaluable information to improving things.

It surprises me that there is not a requirement for an after action plan and follow up. :(
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline Laurie S.

• Trouble
  • Global Moderator
    • My 1968 Mustangs
« Reply #28 on: September 05, 2013, 01:29:10 AM »
The Show Committee, of which I'm a member, currently is in the process of rewriting the guidelines and changing procedures to ensure that host clubs understand what is required of them and do it.  Also, we do not just sign off on a show and then stand back.  Different committee members work with each host club to help them through the process.  Within three months after a show, the host club is required to provide MCA with a financial reckoning of the show and a summary.  We have had clubs refuse to provide this information, which should preclude them from being awarded another show until that requirement has been met.  I believe this should be better enforced than it has been in the past.

Murphy, 1968 Coupe - Concours, Original Owner
Trouble, 1968 Fastback - Modified

MCA Gold Card Judge, 67-68 Concours
MCA Gold Card Judge, Modified - All Years

Offline buckeyeresto

« Reply #29 on: September 06, 2013, 07:12:27 PM »
the mca should take note from the aaca and do the awards on Saturday night and if your not there mail your award for 10 bucks.  Also the National club should be more involved in helping the local club be organized the aaca shows run smoothly as the mca's do not.  Also a good idea would be all cars should be driven on the show field to prove there road worthiness after 50 years even an event like bonus points should be given for a 20 mile road tour at grand national events just like high end concours shows were the dusenburgs, essex, marmons etc are on the prowl proving there road worthiness. Who cares if you put the nos tartop battery, nos exhaust system, nos tires on the car start it up prove its road worthiness and drive it onto the show field.   Even in the old days the MCA cars had to pass a tech inspection which was a joke but it was something.