Author Topic: 65 alternator suppressor capacitor  (Read 2455 times)

Offline mjd 65

65 alternator suppressor capacitor
« on: September 06, 2013, 09:33:14 PM »
I managed to locate a 65 alternator suppressor capacitor, C5TA-18827-A. This is the capacitor which bolts to the back of the alternator, not the more common one used near the voltage regulator. Jack from Dead Nuts On tells me these were used on all 65 alternators, but were discontinued in 66, when Ford went to an internal suppressor.  They were usually discarded over the years and are difficult to find.  Unfortunately, mine is missing the wire connector.  Does anyone know if it is possible to take apart and rebuild one of these capacitors?
Mel
July 65 silver blue Metuchen hardtop

Offline Richard P.

Re: 65 alternator suppressor capacitor
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2013, 09:48:37 PM »
I have an extra capacitor that I'll part with if you're looking. Feel free to email me.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2013, 10:12:42 PM »
................ Does anyone know if it is possible to take apart and rebuild one of these capacitors?

Never heard of anyone that has done that yet. Looks like it would require that you will have to rerubber (insulate) to complete the task. Have one that came back from the plater last week (never put these in the barrel plating method/process) So I thought I might reattach the wires - since I don't care if they really perform as original at this point just look right. Besides no other choice at this point.

Richard let us know how it goes - and take some pictures :)
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline mjd 65

« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2013, 12:19:15 AM »
Thanks, Richard. I sent you a PM.

Jeff, I wonder if there is any way the bracket can be removed from the capacitor.  It seems like the alternator suppressor is basically identical to the  more common suppressor near the voltage regulator except for the bracket.
Mel

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2013, 12:31:02 AM »
The '65 suppressor for the alternator has a different plug than the one by the voltage regulator.
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline mjd 65

« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2013, 12:54:04 AM »
The '65 suppressor for the alternator has a different plug than the one by the voltage regulator.

Good point, Charles. I have attached pictures of the voltage regulator suppressor (top picture) and the alternator suppressor (bottom picture).  The alternator suppressor's  wire is shorter and it has a barrel shaped plug.  Also, the alternator suppressor has a C5 part number, while my voltage regulator suppressor has a C3 part number.

Mel

Offline Richard P.

« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2013, 03:28:21 PM »
MJD

I received your PM and tried to respond but, for some reason I haven't figured it out how to. Call me on my cell 540-645-2048. The capacitor at the voltage is different from the one at the regulator in that the voltage regulator one is smaller in diameter.

Offline mjd 65

« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2013, 02:05:38 AM »
Thanks, Richard. If you would prefer, you can email me directly at mjdugas@aol.com.
Mel

Offline Richard P.

« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2013, 11:22:07 AM »
MJD

I sent you a e-mail