Author Topic: 65 Autolite Alternator  (Read 1361 times)

Offline mjd 65

65 Autolite Alternator
« on: September 12, 2013, 05:39:37 PM »
Just got my alternator back from Jack at Dead Nuts On and thought I'd post a few pictures. He did a superb job, as always!
Mel
July 65 silver blue Metuchen hardtop

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: 65 Autolite Alternator
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2013, 11:00:10 PM »
Interesting he did the double AUTOLITE stamp. We discussed this a few weeks ago. At least it makes it easier for the judges to see  :-[
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline mjd 65

« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2013, 12:12:53 AM »
Jeff,

I had a long discussion with Jack about the double stamp.  He now believes the top stamp is incorrect, but he admits so many people have done it for so long, it has become accepted.  I ultimately told him to put it on,with the understanding I could always remove the top stamp if I wanted.
Mel

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2013, 01:51:56 AM »
I had a long discussion with Jack about the double stamp.  He now believes the top stamp is incorrect, but he admits so many people have done it for so long, it has become accepted. ............

Yes the challenge of the one off part :(  There has at least one found (original case with double stamp) so many felt that it gave them license to do the double stamp. There are so many examples where owners (lacking the original detail on their car or just wanting to stand out) make a choice. One of the reasons we hesitate sharing/showing some details and oddities.
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline mjd 65

« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2013, 07:33:51 PM »
Jeff,

You make a good point. Just because it is commonly done doesn't mean it is correct.  Guess I need to go buy some lacquer thinner....   :'(
Mel