Author Topic: Bench seat and console in a 68  (Read 11749 times)

Offline mjd 65

Bench seat and console in a 68
« on: October 18, 2013, 10:39:48 PM »
I came across this unusual picture on eBay of a 68 with a deluxe interior bench seat and a short console.  I know the console option was not available with bench seats in 65-66, but I don't know if the same was true in 67-68. 

Mel
July 65 silver blue Metuchen hardtop

Offline tim_morrison82

• Click Here for My Project
Re: Bench seat and console in a 68
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2013, 11:40:14 PM »
that is  very poor mod.... definately a fake/manufactured console...... can you post the link to the car?
San Jose built (Mid Dec 67) Non GT J code Coupe.
Wimbledon White with Parchment Bench seat,
Visibility Group, Power Steering, Power Disc Brakes, Selectaire Conditioner, AM radio, Heavy Duty suspension, Deluxe Belts, Deluxe Wheel Covers, 3.00:1 rear.

Unique 1 of 1 car. Just like every other car...

Offline mjd 65

« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2013, 12:21:36 AM »
Tim,

Unfortunately, I didn't save the link to the auction.  As I recall, it was a J-code convertible.  I agree, the console looks homemade, but the interior looked fairly original otherwise.
Mel

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2013, 12:50:46 AM »
Yes hacked/homemade "really short" console :)

Don't let a fairly decent original car to believe that everything is correct or original ;)

Without a Marti, body code or picture of the complete seat, its difficult to tell if the console was added or the bench seat
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline mjd 65

« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2013, 01:31:29 AM »
I suspect it was the latter, Jeff. In doing some research, I see a deluxe bench seat was available on hardtops (65D) and fastbacks (63D), but deluxe convertibles were only offered with bucket seats.  Someone probably added the bench seat to this convertible and modified the console to fit, although that would seem to defeat the purpose of installing a bench seat in the first place!
Mel

Offline ruppstang

« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2013, 10:08:00 AM »
Off topic but I thought the gaffers tape on the tilt was interesting. I have been questioned about it on mine.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2013, 07:27:25 PM »
Off topic but I thought the gaffers tape on the tilt was interesting. I have been questioned about it on mine.

Not something I've seen or would expect a new owner would put up with. With the right length legs they do/can get knocked off  and around pretty easily
Jeff Speegle

Offline Cptnkeza

« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2013, 12:20:15 AM »
Hi all,

This is my first post.
I actually brought the car in the picture, and myself was puzzled. which led me to spend way to much time on line
They did not make any bench seat convertibles as 'mjd 65' posted in 68
It is interesting that even thow the codes and Marti say that this car was to have Parchment decor buckets, I wonder how many  comfort weave, parchment cars were built as the front and back seats match.............
The console has been hacked lengthwise, but also to fit a non console shifter.
The order type 'company lease plan' so it was properly a executive car or a promo vehicle, it even has the factory tow bar ( tow hitch) still installed
Was it buckets with the console hacked for a bench, or a bench with a hacked console installed??
68 convertible (12/67)  302-4V, C4, power steer, power front disc,  3.0 L.S.D, visibility group, interior decor group, deluxe interior
Dearborn

Offline mjd 65

« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2013, 07:28:47 PM »
Hi all,

This is my first post.
I actually brought the car in the picture, and myself was puzzled. which led me to spend way to much time on line
They did not make any bench seat convertibles as 'mjd 65' posted in 68
It is interesting that even thow the codes and Marti say that this car was to have Parchment decor buckets, I wonder how many  comfort weave, parchment cars were built as the front and back seats match.............
The console has been hacked lengthwise, but also to fit a non console shifter.
The order type 'company lease plan' so it was properly a executive car or a promo vehicle, it even has the factory tow bar ( tow hitch) still installed
Was it buckets with the console hacked for a bench, or a bench with a hacked console installed??

I'm not an expert on 68s, but the Marti seems to confirm my theory that the car could not have come from the factory with  a deluxe interior and bench seats.   Most likely, a prior owner  swapped the comfort weave bench seat in place of the factory buckets and modified the console to fit.
Mel

Offline tim_morrison82

« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2013, 08:06:53 AM »
i have a parchment bench interior car with the original back seat covers still on the seat and in poor condition. it is definately comfortweave for the back seat too.

Parchment bench was interior code 8U (deluxe bench 9U) Parchment knitted (comfortweave) buckets was 7U (deluxe knitted 5U). according to mustangs by the numbers no vert had parchment knitted bench or bucket seats. its possible it was swapped at a dealership. i have 1 local car claim his bench was dealer installed...? didn't check his rear seat but will next time! stats from Mustangs by the numbers:

5U = 279
7U = 772
8U = 1287
9U = 278

Total 68 parchment comfortweave buckets inc deluxe = 5U+7U = 1051
Total 68 parchment comfortweave benches inc deluxe = 8U + 9U = 1565
Visibility Group, Power Steering, Power Disc Brakes, Selectaire Conditioner, AM radio, Heavy Duty suspension, Deluxe Belts, Deluxe Wheel Covers, 3.00:1 rear.

Offline tim_morrison82

« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2013, 09:00:08 AM »
i just re-read your post... parchment decor buckets are non knitted...

6u = 1515
of which only 352 were convertibles

what exterior color was your car? if you have a deluxe marti, it should give you all the stats for that anyway...
« Last Edit: November 13, 2013, 09:26:36 AM by tim_morrison82 »

Offline ruppstang

« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2013, 09:26:10 AM »
Comfortweave interiors were not a option for convertibles.

Offline Cptnkeza

« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2013, 05:34:03 PM »
Here is the back seat.
If no convertibles had comfort weave, that means this seat doesn't exist right?
Aren't convertibles seat different to coups and fast backs?
68 convertible (12/67)  302-4V, C4, power steer, power front disc,  3.0 L.S.D, visibility group, interior decor group, deluxe interior
Dearborn

Offline Cptnkeza

« Reply #13 on: November 13, 2013, 05:43:30 PM »
here is the report.
Like you guys, i agree it does not all add up
I want to restore to original, but whats original..... what i see, or what the report says..........
Dearborn

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: November 13, 2013, 08:31:15 PM »
here is the report.
Like you guys, i agree it does not all add up
I want to restore to original, but whats original..... what i see, or what the report says..........

What the report says/states. If you look at the seat the spring ID tags likely will not match up date wise with the rest of the car. Just a possibility. In any case its not original to the car
Jeff Speegle