Author Topic: Turn signals flashing fast  (Read 1379 times)

Offline C5ZZ

Turn signals flashing fast
« on: December 21, 2013, 12:42:45 PM »
I have a problem where my turn signals are flashing faster
than they should be. In the past that would mean that one
of the bulbs was burned out. Not the case here, front and
rear both come on and both sides work the same. I have
tryed a few different flashers with very little to no change.
Are the newer style bulbs different in anyway than what
was used back in the day? I'm wondering if the resistance
of the filament is different which could effect the speed of
the flashing?
MCA # 00945

65 Fastback, 6 cyl, AT, AC, PS, PB
Rangoon Red/Red Interior

Online 67gta289

Re: Turn signals flashing fast
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2013, 12:54:09 PM »
Resistance of the bulb absolutely plays a role.  The flasher is based on a bi-metallic element.  The lower the resistance, the more current flow.  The higher the current flow, the more heat generated.  With more heat, the element opens (cycles) faster.
John
67 289 GTA Dec 20 1966 San Jose
7R02C156xxx
MCA 74660

Offline suskeenwiske

• 214-347-3628
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2013, 04:06:07 PM »
You've hit on a common problem that often shows up whenever someone temporarily adds trailer lights to the flasher circuit; the flasher heats up too rapidly from the extra load and the flasher goes nuts. In those cases, a heavier duty flasher is required to match the load in order to slow the flasher.

67gta289 is dead on about the bulbs. If your bulbs have increased the load on your flasher because they have a lower resistance to current flow, they'll draw a larger amount of current, increased current flow means increased friction and the flasher reacts accordingly.

Isolating the circuit may net some results. If you have an Emergency Flasher, remove it from the circuit and then try your turn signals again. If no change, leave the Emergency Flasher disconnected until you've found the problem. If however, the turn signals now flash at a normal rate, then the problem is somewhere in the Emergency Flasher Circuit.

It is also possibly that you have a short somewhere in the circuit. Let's hope not as these can be tricky to find but I would do a visual of the wiring and bulb sockets first and then the wiring in the steering column and turn signal switch if necessary. You can try a heavier duty flasher and it may slow the flashing rate. If it does that may have been the only problem but if there is a short somewhere, the heavy duty flasher is only acting as a Band-Aid.

Have you tried just replacing the bulbs? It may be as simple as a bad bulb or two.

Also, I'll ask just in case...have you added any accessories to your car that you may have inadvertently wired into the flasher circuit?

Let us know what you find.

Ray
Ray
1965 Dearborn Coupe
6 Cylinder, AT, PB, PS, AC
Est. Build 23A

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2013, 04:21:29 PM »
There are two basic types (more actually). Look at the housing, if it is marked "two lamps (or bulbs)" it's for turn signals. The turn signals only light up two bulbs (ignore the indicator). Flashers that say four or more are for the emergency flasher circuit or regular turn systems if towing.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline C5ZZ

« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2013, 09:19:35 PM »
Thanks for the info!
I'm thinking that I want to try replacing the bulbs and see what happens.
The front turn signal housings are repro and I remember having a difficult time
installing the bulbs, they are new bulbs, I have some older bulbs that I'll try out.
I'm wondering if todays bulbs use a filament with less resistance than the old ones.
Don't have the emergency flashers installed yet so thats not in the equation.
Both sides flash at a fast rate, not one side different than the other and they do
seem nice and bright.

MCA # 00945

65 Fastback, 6 cyl, AT, AC, PS, PB
Rangoon Red/Red Interior