Author Topic: Front Spring Finish  (Read 11408 times)

Offline 69 black r code

Front Spring Finish
« on: November 26, 2013, 09:10:00 PM »
What is the correct finish for the front coil springs on a 4/69 NJ car? Thanks!!
4-69 Mach1 NJ 428cj

priceless

Re: Front Spring Finish
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2013, 09:53:03 PM »
Like a phosphate color. Probably from an oil quenching process. From a dark gray to almost looking black....Hope this helps.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2013, 09:54:33 PM »
Like a phosphate color. Probably from an oil quenching process. From a dark gray to almost looking black....Hope this helps.

+1  Basically dark heat treated steel.

Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline Brian Conway

« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2013, 10:10:22 PM »
     Thought you might like to see an original.  Colors are supposed to be gold and pink.  Brian
5RO9A GT  4 Spd Built 5/29/65
9TO2R SCJ 4 Spd Built 9/19/68
Owner Driver Mechanic
San Diego, Ca.

Offline 69 black r code

« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2013, 10:43:55 PM »
Thanks for the replys!!!
4-69 Mach1 NJ 428cj

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2013, 07:39:17 PM »
Some restored/refinished examples I've done

Dearborn car

San Jose 69

As they came off the car

Another application

Jeff Speegle

Offline specialed

« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2013, 09:52:17 PM »
Jeff somebodyneeds to come up with a way to duplicate the finish on front & rear springs in a kit to sell restorers to get that rite & gm & mopar guys also need this.  I have a set of new take-off & nos 428 cj coil springs & the finish is different between them.   By the way I just got the triangle liecence plate screws done & david davis was here today & got original original b2 b9 68=69 428 cj & 70 cj pcv hoses to make the correct way & texture & markings & they are being worked on.   I also sent to amk the assembly line c5az correct battery J-bolt for 65-69 cars so they can be made concours correct so no more shortening the current doaz long service replacement bolts.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2013, 10:15:05 PM »
Jeff somebodyneeds to come up with a way to duplicate the finish on front & rear springs in a kit to sell restorers to get that rite & gm & mopar guys also need this.......................

Think you would need to have the paint and the bare metal version. Paint is pretty easy (outlined on this site a number of times and they turn out well - just don't over time with the rubbing at the spring perches and the rear spring leaf overlap. Think the bare metal isn't really difficult either IMHO its just the cost of that amount of fluid (to dip the full assembly to keep the look consistent across the part and building a tray or container to hold the items without allot of wasted space = treating fluid

Another problem for many of you guys is the poor condition of what your starting with :( No real good way of addressing pitted metal

I have a set of new take-off & nos 428 cj coil springs & the finish is different between them.  .........................

Yep - Would not expect to see the same finish on an assembly line part as one designed to sit of the shelf and look pretty when you sell it to a shop or owner. Lots of painted front and rear springs in service replacement examples

Looks like the restoration "cottage industry" is continuing efforts to bring us more and more good reproductions

Happy Turkey day
« Last Edit: November 28, 2013, 10:54:04 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Offline 69eliminator

« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2013, 10:28:11 PM »
Hi all
Happy thanksgiving from  a first timer to post on this site.
I am restoring a Cougar Eliminator. Can someone tell me the stripe colors for the front springs for a 428 cj with air conditioning?
Can anyone tell me where I can get a set of these springs or quality replacements?

Thanks for a great site.
1969 Cougar Eliminator 428 CJ Q Code with AC , PS, PDB, C6 Transmission,Traction-Lok Diff. 3.00. Bright yellow paint.
Dearborn 6/69

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2013, 10:52:14 PM »
Hi all
I am restoring a Cougar Eliminator. Can someone tell me the stripe colors for the front springs for a 428 cj with air conditioning?
Can anyone tell me where I can get a set of these springs or quality replacements?

First welcome  to the site

Don't know where replacements can be had - never had to purchase any other than from a donor car.

As for strip colors you'll have to forgive me - haven't collected many buildsheets from Cougars

What transmission does you car have and what body code (91-94 or something like that) does the car have.

I've got on 69 CJ Cougar with air just want to make sure its a match ;)

Maybe Scoots got something on this also

Again welcome hope you find the information useful
Jeff Speegle

Offline mach1one

« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2013, 01:21:32 AM »
I have found that powder coating with the correct black looks great. It hides any pitting and is super durable. No more screwing up paint on putting the springs back in.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2013, 03:59:23 AM »
I have found that powder coating with the correct black looks great. It hides any pitting and is super durable. No more screwing up paint on putting the springs back in.

Unfortunately powder coated springs look powder coated IMHO not a great look for a concours car. Not sure what the "correct black would be that looks like dark heat treated bare steel. maybe one of the graphites ??
Jeff Speegle

Offline 69eliminator

« Reply #12 on: November 29, 2013, 11:42:17 AM »
Thanks for the response.
The car is equipped with a C6 transmission and the body code is 91

Best,
brian
1969 Cougar Eliminator 428 CJ Q Code with AC , PS, PDB, C6 Transmission,Traction-Lok Diff. 3.00. Bright yellow paint.
Dearborn 6/69

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: November 29, 2013, 05:10:39 PM »
Hi all

Thanks for a great site.
For a quality replacement try Detroit Eaton. They manufactuer the front coils to Ford engineeing drawing specs with the correct wire size etc.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: November 29, 2013, 08:22:44 PM »
Thanks for the response.
The car is equipped with a C6 transmission and the body code is 91

1 Violet and 1 Brown stripe

As usual applied to the spring when it was out of the car either sitting on its side or upside down (from how it was installed) - this is important if there are any runs - so they travel the original direction. Typically applied with a 1/2" wide semi dry brush. And it appears IMHO that they were painted from the top down (out of the car top ;)

While we're at it I find it nice to place a rag or towel inside to catch the splatter from the brush passing from one coil to another since I've never found the splatter on originals and don't want to add that detail to the restored ones ;)

Hope this helps and again welcome to the site
Jeff Speegle