Author Topic: Boss 302 Barn Find  (Read 3167 times)

Offline ChrisV289

Chris
1965 Honey Gold Fastback (SJ 10/29/64)
1965 Caspian Blue Fastback (SJ 06/03/65)
2009 V6 Mustang Coupe

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: Boss 302 Barn Find
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2014, 01:19:17 PM »
Being discussed on all the forums seems in very good shape if it was really stored where the story suggests. Maybe we should each invest in a barn to add 20K-plus to the value of each of our cars ;) Car auction ended with the car going for just over $74K... IMHO a real strong price for what is there so the idea that the car was just storied somehow adds allot of additional value.

Looking at the auction looks like the story did its job and "barn find" has replaced "survivor" as the top descriptive term in the coming year ;).

Someone is running a similar sale for a Talladega in this auction

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ford-Torino-Talladega-1969-ford-torino-talladega-barn-find-428-cobra-jet-/251420566989?forcerrptr=true&hash=item3a89d565cd&item=251420566989&pt=US_Cars_Trucks#ht_0wt_0
« Last Edit: January 08, 2014, 01:30:38 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline silverfox

« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2014, 06:09:06 PM »
Being discussed on all the forums seems in very good shape if it was really stored where the story suggests. Maybe we should each invest in a barn to add 20K-plus to the value of each of our cars ;) Car auction ended with the car going for just over $74K... IMHO a real strong price for what is there so the idea that the car was just storied somehow adds allot of additional value.

Looking at the auction looks like the story did its job and "barn find" has replaced "survivor" as the top descriptive term in the coming year ;).

have to agree that is a very strong price and as Jeff says, if you use the word "barn find" automatically adds another $15000+ to the ticket price
Chris
Current Mustangs:
1965 Fastback 289 K Code - Hi-Po - Caspian Blue

1970 Mach 1 Sportsroof 351C Auto - White - Project car and in Resto (started Sept 2012)

Past Mustangs:
1966 Fastback GT350 clone, Hi-Po 289, 4 Spd Man, White/Blue

Offline svo2scj

• Car Collector and home to WHEEL CITY FAIRLANE
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2014, 07:54:09 PM »
Some might remember - 12 or so years ago (when Ebay was new) there was an auction out of NJ that showed a barn, sealed door (whit a concrete and steel barrier) and a great "lead up story" of what is in the barn....................................

There as found were 3 cars  300SL Roadster, 265GTB and if I remember either a 289 Cobra or an AC Ace.  I watched the auction thinking they were going to sell for a little over 140K (for all three) but it was gone the next time I looked.   (Obviously a "I'll end the auction early" move)

As I see cars like these I have listened to see if the story appears again (at auction).

Mark
P.S.  The MB ended up at Scott Restorations - as a friend saw it when shopping for a shop for restoration on a Gullwing.    (The prices for the work made him sell his fathers car right after that)  Anyone that thinks restoration is cheap (especially if you are "writing a check") will find out PDQ on that G Code!

1969 R Code , Sportsroof (non Mach) W Axle
AB , Standard Interior  San Jose built 4/22/1969

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2014, 08:19:41 PM »
Just out of curiosity I wonder what the Boss 302 forum is saying. I would assume that they have a registry similar to the Shelby registry and would have filled in a blank spot with this car. Any Boss 302 forum types here?
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline svo2scj

• Car Collector and home to WHEEL CITY FAIRLANE
1969 R Code , Sportsroof (non Mach) W Axle
AB , Standard Interior  San Jose built 4/22/1969

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2014, 08:36:09 PM »
Just out of curiosity I wonder what the Boss 302 forum is saying. I would assume that they have a registry similar to the Shelby registry and would have filled in a blank spot with this car. Any Boss 302 forum types here?
Jim

Pretty much - "it's missing this and that part", "can't believe it went for that much" and the typical "will this make my car worth more money?" sort of statements
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline workhorse

« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2014, 11:33:57 AM »
Unfortunately the term "Barn Find" has evolved into little more than a marketing  ploy. That’s not to say that these discoveries don't occur, but with every new "story" our threshold of doubt increases. I've seen firsthand a few of these "barn find" cars of various marquee's that on the surface seemed plausible but after doing some digging didn't make the grade. Sometimes the story itself contradicts the car, other times the owner falls short of substantiating their claim either because it's not true or at some time in the past they too were misled. On occasion though, the story is true, they have a story, the proof, and a strong connection to the car.

And no, it's not for sale.

Here is one such firsthand story:

In my formidable years…how long ago that was eludes me… ;) I happen to be driving a side street due to a traffic accident detouring me. As chance would have it, I spotted a Hertz car parked next to a house. After a quick U-turn I made several passes noticing damage to the rear quarter. Finally mustering the nerve to stop I walked past the car up to the door and knocked. There was no answer.  I made a few trips around the car and decided to return another day.
My return trip offered me the opportunity to bring along my trusty 110 Kodak. After knocking and again finding no one home, I took a few snapshots and noticed the hood was open, just closed enough not to have noticed originally. I gave it a quick lift and snapped two photos before quickly shutting it again and getting out of there.

My third visit proved fruitful as I happened upon a man in the yard who told me the car was his sons and…was gonna fix it up again. Not interested in selling and already knowing I was out staying my welcome, he agreed to let me take a few pictures and be gone. As luck would have it, our brief conversation yielded information about the driveshaft that they had
just put back into the car after welding washers and pennies to it to balance it out.

Fast forward quite a few years and while browsing HMN I come across an ad for a Hertz car. Placing a call to the number listed I discover it's only a short drive away and arrange for a look. Low miles, original and relatively well kept. The price? Twelve thousand bucks. But I was too late. Someone had just left a deposit for the car.

Having driven out to see the car that has now been sold, the owner and I walk around the car talk about the Shelby and he shares some interesting history. A Hertz employee bought it for his son, babied the car, washed it almost every day etc, etc, etc.  Son eventually moved away and the car sat inside his garage until it had to go to make room for a new car.

Everything sounded like a sweet little deal until I happened to be checking out a few small rust spots in the door corners under the paint when I looked under the car for floor rust and what did I see?

A drive shaft with washers and pennies welded on to it.

I made a mental note of the vin and thanked him for his time and headed home. A few weeks later I received a package from my childhood home with a scrapbook I had made years ago and asked to be sent to me. Just as I suspected, inside were those original snapshots I had taken years before with the very same car…verified by the vin in my original photos…far from well maintained and garage kept.

In the years since, the car has passed through more than a few hands and with each, the story grew. Today, the current owner, who has had the car for many years knows the facts and makes no outlandish claims about the car, but was told the story by the previous seller which for years he admitted seemed plausible.   

Fortunately registries and websites exist today that can provide a cars history much better than they did all those years ago. Somewhere along the line the facts got skewed willingly or not and unfortunately this owner paid a premium for his car in part due to its "history" at the time.

As hobbyist, collectors or enthusiasts we've become jaded to these type stories because they seem to appear all the time, and with them usually a for sale price. Who hasn't dreamed of finding  a 'Vette inside an attic, a Porsche speedster sealed in an underground bunker or a Cobra in a storage box? 

Yep, me too, but before I hand over any hard earned green you'll need to prove it to me.

just my .02 cents   

Offline cobrajetchris

« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2014, 12:25:55 AM »
I hope the new owner of the 69 boss just wants the car to keep or restore for himself and not try to restore it and profit from it. The car appears to be very solid and mostly complete however I did note some expensive parts missing and no mention they came with the car such as: exhaust manifolds, air cleaner assy. pollution, oil pan and the distributor. These parts alone are worth several thousand dollars and hard to find. As far as the barn find story, I think that may have been staged as most drafty barns attract mice that feast on wiring and upholstery. I think the car was in storage for a long time but doubt in a barn.
CHRIS KNOBBE
69 MUSTANG COUPE, DEARBORN BUILT 06/10/69 OWNED SINCE 1978
70 BOSS 302 MUSTANG, DEARBORN BUILT 10/24/69 OWNED SINCE 1987
69 R CODE MACH1 AUTO, DEARBORN BUILT 10/10/68 OWNED SINCE 2006
69 R CODE MACH1 4 SPEED (factory black) SAN JOSE BUILT 12/30/68 OWNED SINCE 2007