Author Topic: Was dual exhaust an option on an early, non-GT 1965 "A" code?  (Read 13191 times)

Offline blk65fstbk

Was dual exhaust an option on an early, non-GT 1965 "A" code?
« on: January 30, 2014, 11:26:19 PM »
I'm going to put dual exhaust on my non-GT 65 A-code. Three questions. First, could you get a dual exhaust on a non-GT A-code? And second, if you could, what would it have been (Dearborn car built in early November of 1964)? And third, what would the exhaust manifolds have been? Thanks.
1965 Mustang Fastback
"A" Code 289 V8, 4 Speed Manual Toploader and 3.00:1 Locking Differential
Raven Black Exterior and Black Standard Interior
No PS, PB or A/C
Built November 5, 1964 in Dearborn, MI

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
Re: Was dual exhaust an option on an early, non-GT 1965 "A" code?
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2014, 01:21:56 AM »
No, it was never a factory option on a 65-66 non-GT A code.  The only mustang that had dual exhaust from the factory in Nov. '64 would be a K code and it would most likely have been the Arvinode type.

Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline rocket289k

« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2014, 04:34:23 PM »
No, it was never a factory option on a 65-66 non-GT A code.  The only mustang that had dual exhaust from the factory in Nov. '64 would be a K code and it would most likely have been the Arvinode type.

+1 Charles - that it was never a factory option on a 65-66 non-GT A code.  It's a common misconception that the non-GT "A" codes could be had with dual exhaust.  Of course over the years a lot of "A" codes had dual exhaust added.  It's pretty hard to find a single exhaust "A" code anymore.
1965 "A" Code 289 Mustang GT - Planned Build Date July 19 / Bucked July 21 Metuchen / Factory AC & PS / C4 Auto / 3.00 open

Offline blk65fstbk

« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2014, 08:22:39 AM »
Good information. I'm thinking about setting my car up to have the correct exhaust had it been a GT. So, if my car would have been a GT with dual exhaust, what would the exhaust manifolds have been? Standard? or High Performance? Thanks.
1965 Mustang Fastback
"A" Code 289 V8, 4 Speed Manual Toploader and 3.00:1 Locking Differential
Raven Black Exterior and Black Standard Interior
No PS, PB or A/C
Built November 5, 1964 in Dearborn, MI

Offline midlife

• Wiring Guru---let me check your shorts!
  • Global Moderator
    • Midlife Harness Restorations
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2014, 08:40:52 AM »
Good information. I'm thinking about setting my car up to have the correct exhaust had it been a GT. So, if my car would have been a GT with dual exhaust, what would the exhaust manifolds have been? Standard? or High Performance? Thanks.
Standard for A code, HiPo for K code.
Midlife Harness Restorations - http://midlifeharness.com

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2014, 12:17:54 PM »
Just for reference, there is no difference in exhaust manifolds between "A" and "C" code engines in a specific year. Almost all small block manifolds will "fit", but be careful in replacing one as there are minor variations, choke fittings, smog, casting enhancements.
Jim 
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline rocket289k

« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2014, 12:25:41 PM »
Standard for A code, HiPo for K code.

+1 the "A" code engine whether it is a GT equipped car with factory dual exhaust or a standard single exhaust utilized the exact same exhaust manifolds.

Part #'s - C3OE-9431-A (driver's side) and C4OE-9430-A (passenger side)

Regards,

Ron
1965 "A" Code 289 Mustang GT - Planned Build Date July 19 / Bucked July 21 Metuchen / Factory AC & PS / C4 Auto / 3.00 open

Offline outback mustang

« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2014, 03:56:41 AM »
+1 Charles - that it was never a factory option on a 65-66 non-GT A code.  It's a common misconception that the non-GT "A" codes could be had with dual exhaust.  Of course over the years a lot of "A" codes had dual exhaust added.  It's pretty hard to find a single exhaust "A" code anymore.

Hi guys,

just found this forum, been reading many threads for days and have enjoyed it thoroughly. i m hopeful some folk here may soon be able to help me to solve a few of my own questions to get my 65 in good shape (well she's not in bad shape, drives beautiful, looks great for its age but is pretty much original and needs a bit of improvement if not TLC i think, things are just getting too old or worn, even though its low K's/Miles).

i am curious though about the consensus in this thread that non-GT "A" codes couldn't be ordered with duel exhaust. that wasn't my understanding at all. could anyone elaborate further or point to references to confirm this ? i would find it very interesting

it seems many places i look on the net believe they were available with D/exhaust. also Colin Date's book Collector's Originality Guide MUSTANG 1964 1/2 - 1966  goes into detail e.g which month (mid august 65) it became an option (standard was single exhaust) for non GT cars. 

non-GT (A) from august 1965 configuration was identical to 64 1/2 K code , not the "Avinode" set up that was phased out in October of 1964 (but apparently found its way on to plenty of early 65 cars (i'd assume only GT's though). after October 1964 the configuration changed to a free flow set up that most are familiar with, that is what was used on GT's and was an option for non GT's.

Mike Mueller's book Mustangs 64 1/2 -73 also mentions explicitly that duel exhaust was an option for non-GT.  also goes on to say that Ford ran full page adverts spelling out the situation in no uncertain terms and many other promotional varieties almost as soon as the GT option became available, stating examples such as that Fords' slogan mentioned  "Make your Mustang into a GT ! Your ford dealer has the goods". 

in addition Scott Fuller's reproductions (whom i assume is respected among the mustang community ?) web site shows details of some of the exhausts, with dates to the month as he understands it . he definitely shows a concourse correct duel exhaust for 1965 non GT cars . his emphasis is on exact concourse as far as i tell (and very very pricey), he even had some Utube for the 64/65 avinode exhaust but i couldn't find it available it on his site for sale

anyways, not trying to stir any buckets , just my own thoughts and research

any comments welcome

cheers

Outback Mustang :-)

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2014, 10:27:07 AM »
It is definitely a subject of controversy, but I can assure you that the opinions stated here are made from sound judgement and many years of observing original cars in addition to Ford documentation.

As far as references, I would have to defer to the Ford order sheet.  There is no line item for 65/66 to add dual exhaust.  I've heard of dealers requesting it or writing it on the order sheet, but the car would still come with single exhaust.  Have only ever heard of one case where someone "in the know", was able to get it through.  I have not seen that car personally or inspected the documentation, so I hesitate to mention it.  I would not consider that standard operating procedure, though.
Here's an order sheet from January '66:
http://www.ct.early-mustang.com/charles/66_order_sheet.jpg

Few other points:

-Have never heard of an 'August 65' date, do you have any Ford documentation to support that? 
-A 64 1/2 K code would have had a transverse dual exhaust system and would have been the only Mustang that received dual exhaust from the factory.
-The Arvinode system was introduced into K code production around Oct/November '64 and phased out around March '65.  It's possible that some extremely early A code GT cars received the Arvinode system, but for the most part, 65-66 A code GT's would have had the typical dual exhaust system.
-The reference to Mike Mueller's book is taken out of context.  What he is probably referring to is that Ford ran a campaign to have existing owner's bring their cars in and add GT options such as fog lights and dual exhaust.  This is much different than being able to order dual exhaust on a C code or non-GT A code.
-The reference to Scott Fuller's site is also taken out of context.  His site only states "non-GT" for K codes, not A codes.  I helped him with this verbiage to make sure he did not state something incorrectly.

Offline rocket289k

« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2014, 10:46:26 AM »
It is definitely a subject of controversy, but I can assure you that the opinions stated here are made from sound judgement and many years of observing original cars in addition to Ford documentation.

As far as references, I would have to defer to the Ford order sheet.  There is no line item for 65/66 to add dual exhaust.  I've heard of dealers requesting it or writing it on the order sheet, but the car would still come with single exhaust.  Have only ever heard of one case where someone "in the know", was able to get it through.  I have not seen that car personally or inspected the documentation, so I hesitate to mention it.  I would not consider that standard operating procedure, though.

Few other points:

-Have never heard of an 'August 65' date, do you have any Ford documentation to support that? 
-A 64 1/2 K code would have had a transverse dual exhaust system and would have been the only Mustang that received dual exhaust from the factory.
-The Arvinode system was introduced into K code production around Oct/November '64 and phased out around March '65.  It's possible that some extremely early A code GT cars received the Arvinode system, but for the most part, 65-66 A code GT's would have had the typical dual exhaust system.
-The reference to Mike Mueller's book is taken out of context.  What he is probably referring to is that Ford ran a campaign to have existing owner's bring their cars in and add GT options such as fog lights and dual exhaust.  This is much different than being able to order dual exhaust on a C code or non-GT A code.
-The reference to Scott Fuller's site is also taken out of context.  His site only states "non-GT" for K codes, not A codes.  I helped him with this verbiage to make sure he did not state something incorrectly.

+1 on all of the above Charles

Offline ptosborn1111

« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2014, 01:41:26 PM »
As long as we are defining the use of correct exhaust systems!
It apparently is tough to get an exhaust system that is concourse (any concourse level) correct for these cars. Scott Fuller makes some outstanding products but not for all cars.
Virginia Mustang has exhaust systems that work but may not be structurally all correct.
So this leaves the question to be debated.
Who makes an acceptable system for concourse level judging? I mean any concourse level of judging. Any if not most judges would say good exhaust system in this application because this is all we have on the market to work with.
My car for example again is a May, Dearborn built, "A" code 289.
Pat
« Last Edit: February 28, 2014, 02:05:26 PM by ptosborn1111 »
65' Fastback (42k mile car) VIN 5F09A718971
A code 289/4 speed
Body 63A
Color K
Trim 26
Date 07S
DSO 41

71' Boss 351 (Grabber yellow, 2nd owner, 32k miles)
71' Boss 351 (Bright red, 2nd owner, 56k miles)
67' RS/SS 350 Camaro (Butternut yellow project)

Offline outback mustang

« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2014, 01:44:12 PM »

Few other points:

Hi Charles,
thanks for your detailed reply.

i'll try and put a couple of my earlier comments in to better context .

firstly though i was referring largely to 1965 A code, your order sheet is for a 1966 mustang. according to Colin Date's book quote: "Duel exhaust, similar to the Hi-Po 289's was now standard equipment on A code engines for 1966." , so obviously there would be no box to cross for that option. however, even on that order form though you can see the dealer wrote down the bottom some additional items/comments, limited slip diff, console for air and deluxe [seat?] belts. it would seem logical that even on a 1965 order form if there wasn't a box to cross the dealer could write down the bottom the addition of duel exhaust. do you happen to have a 65 order form? or any other ford documentation? it might be interesting to look at

also i'm wondering what is that box on the 66 form you posted referring to that says 'Addition to basic' and the other 'Part of basic' under title Check One ?

sorry about the august 1965 date, that was a typo error on my account, it should have read August 1964, which is of course was when the 1965 model/variants began production (some evidence to say it was a week or two either way but to eliminate trivialities i'll just go with the most accepted or official date and say august 1964), actually it looks like i muddled up that whole sentence .

i'll quote straight from his Colin Date's book so i dont stuff it up: "with the 289-4V engine, the standard exhaust mimicked the 289-2V's. On early 1965 cars ( [produced] after mid august 1964), the optional dual exhaust system was identical to the 1964 1/2 K-code 289 HiPo system. After October 15, 1965 the (optional) dual exhaust changed to a free flow set up. the the engines individual exhaust manifolds were connected to dual exhaust pipes that ran back along the length of the chassis where they fit into two separate mufflers that were located in front of the rear ale. the pipes then looped up and over the axle, and ran through a set of smaller resonators. the twin tailpipes excited beneath the rear valance. On A-codes with the GT option ( [introduced] late Feb 1965 the twin tailpipes excited through special holes in the rear valance"

so that description seems to fit in with Scott fullers pics of the optional exhaust. also it can be seen that dual exhausts were available on A codes somewhere around 6 months before the GT option was introduced

i dont have any official ford documents (edit, i have a giant ford parts book and have found some interesting bits, i'll add below). as i previously mentioned i am referencing Colin Date's book and some other authors. Colin Date has acknowledged a plethora of ford historians , sources, noted authors and peoples original cars though in his forward. i cant do better than that atm i'm afraid. If he is wrong then so be it, maybe its books like this causing the misconceptions. i thought however it was highly regarded among the community .

No, i wasn't taking Mike Meuller's book out of context. trying to be brief i may have not made it clear enough to you though.

it's a pain to type, but for the sake of clarity, i'll quote some of his book. i've highlighted the key parts to save reading

referring to the 1965 mustang he writes:

". . . the 289-4V, sent spent gases into the atmosphere via single tailpipe in standard non-GT applications. At the ends of either GT V-8's dual exhaust were chrome trumpets poking through cutouts in a special rear valance panel. the cutouts displaced the standard bumper guards normally located in those positions.

When optional dual exhausts were ordered for any V-8 Mustang, they required the addition of spot welded reinforcement plates at the tail end of each unit-body "frame rail" in back. while the presence of these reinforcements does not necessarily help document a true GT mustang remember, optional duals were available for non-GT's too--their absence on a car in question means it is not a factory built GT no matter how many other features are present. Anyone can transform any early mustang into a GT with all the right parts.

Ford promotional people muddied the waters by offering nearly all GT appearance features (everything save the actual GT emblems) as over the counter dealer options not long after the GT equipment group was introduced. thanks to all this promotional exploitation, a "factory correct" 1965 mustang could have looked very much like a GT but not actually been one. full page ads in 1965 even spelled out the situation in no uncertain terms: "Make your mustang into a GT! your ford dealer has the goods"

he seems to make it clear he believes that dual exhaust could be ordered at time of purchase. obviously he also later talks about how the parts could be purchased over the counter. i simply included both.

again , No, i havnt taken Scott Fuller out of context . His site does not only state non-GT dual exhaust for K codes. i do see the page you are referring to that shows only those options, but another page shows options for concourse correct non-GT dual exhausts . in the picture below you can see the 4th option is for a non-GT A code. further down he writes ''every detail copied from original ford assembly line and confirmed by ford engineering drawings''

as mentioned earlier i had look through my ford parts book, never having used it much, i forgot i even had it because its not the easiest thing to navigate through if you are not familiar with it so i tend to avoid it.
after finally finding my way to the parts and exhausts it does show 1965 A code standard as single exhaust but also an optional dual exhaust . it also shows 1966 A code as having standard dual exhaust but also showed a single exhaust was available. that seems to contradict Colin Date's information slightly but also your order form picture didnt have a box to place an X in

also it might interest you that before October 1964 there were two exhausts available for the K code, not just the transverse muffler set up but also an inline muffler and resonator set up

« Last Edit: February 28, 2014, 01:56:56 PM by outback mustang »

Offline ptosborn1111

« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2014, 02:04:07 PM »
Why would there be an option for an "A" code and NOT a "C" code 289 of this time period?
Pat
65' Fastback (42k mile car) VIN 5F09A718971
A code 289/4 speed
Body 63A
Color K
Trim 26
Date 07S
DSO 41

71' Boss 351 (Grabber yellow, 2nd owner, 32k miles)
71' Boss 351 (Bright red, 2nd owner, 56k miles)
67' RS/SS 350 Camaro (Butternut yellow project)

Offline outback mustang

« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2014, 02:19:17 PM »
Why would there be an option for an "A" code and NOT a "C" code 289 of this time period?
Pat

i wondered the same thing!

Colin Date's book just doesnt mention it for the C code, whether that means it was just an oversight or according to him it wasnt available i dont know. but according to Mike Mueller all V-8 mustangs could be optioned with dual exhaust. the parts book shows dual exhaust was available for C-code as well. i just didnt want to widen or complicate the discussion any further. some people seem to be adamant but i would like some sort of convincing references or documentation before dismissing

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2014, 04:38:40 PM »
My responses in blue

Hi Charles,
thanks for your detailed reply.

i'll try and put a couple of my earlier comments in to better context .

firstly though i was referring largely to 1965 A code, your order sheet is for a 1966 mustang. according to Colin Date's book quote: "Duel exhaust, similar to the Hi-Po 289's was now standard equipment on A code engines for 1966." , so obviously there would be no box to cross for that option. however, even on that order form though you can see the dealer wrote down the bottom some additional items/comments, limited slip diff, console for air and deluxe [seat?] belts. it would seem logical that even on a 1965 order form if there wasn't a box to cross the dealer could write down the bottom the addition of duel exhaust. do you happen to have a 65 order form? or any other ford documentation? it might be interesting to look at
Colin's book is totally wrong on that statement.  As I stated, even if a dealer wrote down dual exhaust, they weren't going to get it.  I'm sure I have a '65 order form, but from memory, there is not much difference.  Something else to consider is that a line item for dual exhaust has never been seen on a window sticker or even in the dealer option price sheet.

also i'm wondering what is that box on the 66 form you posted referring to that says 'Addition to basic' and the other 'Part of basic' under title Check One ?
I don't know for sure.  I would assume part of basic means standard equipment and Addition is optional.

sorry about the august 1965 date, that was a typo error on my account, it should have read August 1964, which is of course was when the 1965 model/variants began production (some evidence to say it was a week or two either way but to eliminate trivialities i'll just go with the most accepted or official date and say august 1964), actually it looks like i muddled up that whole sentence .
There were no exhaust changes made during the transition of generator to alternator cars.

i'll quote straight from his Colin Date's book so i dont stuff it up: "with the 289-4V engine, the standard exhaust mimicked the 289-2V's. On early 1965 cars ( [produced] after mid august 1964), the optional dual exhaust system was identical to the 1964 1/2 K-code 289 HiPo system. After October 15, 1965 the (optional) dual exhaust changed to a free flow set up. the the engines individual exhaust manifolds were connected to dual exhaust pipes that ran back along the length of the chassis where they fit into two separate mufflers that were located in front of the rear ale. the pipes then looped up and over the axle, and ran through a set of smaller resonators. the twin tailpipes excited beneath the rear valance. On A-codes with the GT option ( [introduced] late Feb 1965 the twin tailpipes excited through special holes in the rear valance"
Another error in Colin's book.  The only 64.5 mustang that could have dual exhaust from the factory was a K code.  The "free flow" setup is the Arvinode system, which again, was only available on K codes from the assembly plant.  Some very early A code GT's, early March built, may have had Arvinode systems.  I only say this because I have seen Arvinode hangers on a March built '65 GT A code.

so that description seems to fit in with Scott fullers pics of the optional exhaust. also it can be seen that dual exhausts were available on A codes somewhere around 6 months before the GT option was introduced
I went and double-checked Scott's website and see absolutely no reference to what you are saying.  The image that you provided looks like an old printed flyer.

i dont have any official ford documents (edit, i have a giant ford parts book and have found some interesting bits, i'll add below). as i previously mentioned i am referencing Colin Date's book and some other authors. Colin Date has acknowledged a plethora of ford historians , sources, noted authors and peoples original cars though in his forward. i cant do better than that atm i'm afraid. If he is wrong then so be it, maybe its books like this causing the misconceptions. i thought however it was highly regarded among the community .
Colin's book is a nice coffee table item, but I would not put much weight in most of the information.  He never contacted anyone I know to ask to validate information in the book.  Seems a pretty common thing to do.  Probably more concerned about getting it to print and making $$.  There are many books like this that have errors in them which create issues like this (i.e. damage control).  The "Mustang Does It" book is one of the worst and we still get folks referring to it.

No, i wasn't taking Mike Meuller's book out of context. trying to be brief i may have not made it clear enough to you though.

it's a pain to type, but for the sake of clarity, i'll quote some of his book. i've highlighted the key parts to save reading

referring to the 1965 mustang he writes:

". . . the 289-4V, sent spent gases into the atmosphere via single tailpipe in standard non-GT applications. At the ends of either GT V-8's dual exhaust were chrome trumpets poking through cutouts in a special rear valance panel. the cutouts displaced the standard bumper guards normally located in those positions.
I have never heard of Mike Mueller before you posted here so have no idea who he is.  The sentence above states what I've been saying, only single exhaust on non-GT for 65/66 A codes.

When optional dual exhausts were ordered for any V-8 Mustang, they required the addition of spot welded reinforcement plates at the tail end of each unit-body "frame rail" in back. while the presence of these reinforcements does not necessarily help document a true GT mustang remember, optional duals were available for non-GT's too--their absence on a car in question means it is not a factory built GT no matter how many other features are present. Anyone can transform any early mustang into a GT with all the right parts.
That's not entirely true.  The earlier dual exhaust systems did not have the reinforcements in the rear frame rails.  Very common misconception.  When the GT style exhaust was introduced in March of '65, that's when the reinforcements appeared.  The rear floor reinforcement for the hangers was there the whole time though, except for possibly some extremely early 64.5 K codes.  The rear frame rail reinforcements should be there on most all 65-66 GT's except for possibly some very early March '65 cars that could have gotten the Arvinode system.  Or, maybe some transition cars that got mixed up during the process.  There is more to dual exhaust than the rear frame rail reinforcements and rear seat platform reinforcements... which is due to dual exhaust having been born from K code cars.  The rear build up a K code and the specific features carried over to A code GT cars.  Anything can be faked, but most folks can't do it without leaving some tell-tale signs.

Ford promotional people muddied the waters by offering nearly all GT appearance features (everything save the actual GT emblems) as over the counter dealer options not long after the GT equipment group was introduced. thanks to all this promotional exploitation, a "factory correct" 1965 mustang could have looked very much like a GT but not actually been one. full page ads in 1965 even spelled out the situation in no uncertain terms: "Make your mustang into a GT! your ford dealer has the goods"

A sales promotion for dealers is pretty much irrelevant to what we are discussing.  We are discussing assembly line options, not something installed by a dealer after the car was made.

he seems to make it clear he believes that dual exhaust could be ordered at time of purchase. obviously he also later talks about how the parts could be purchased over the counter. i simply included both.
He's wrong about factory ordering.  Of course, one could have bought just about anything from a dealer and had it installed, after the car was shipped from the assembly plant.

again , No, i havnt taken Scott Fuller out of context . His site does not only state non-GT dual exhaust for K codes. i do see the page you are referring to that shows only those options, but another page shows options for concourse correct non-GT dual exhausts . in the picture below you can see the 4th option is for a non-GT A code. further down he writes ''every detail copied from original ford assembly line and confirmed by ford engineering drawings''
Please provide a URL link to the page on Scott's website as I am not seeing it.  If it is there, I will send Scott a note to let him know.  We went over this several times.

as mentioned earlier i had look through my ford parts book, never having used it much, i forgot i even had it because its not the easiest thing to navigate through if you are not familiar with it so i tend to avoid it.
after finally finding my way to the parts and exhausts it does show 1965 A code standard as single exhaust but also an optional dual exhaust . it also shows 1966 A code as having standard dual exhaust but also showed a single exhaust was available. that seems to contradict Colin Date's information slightly but also your order form picture didnt have a box to place an X in
If you're looking at the '75 MPC, it has many known inconsistencies, most from drawings and parts being superseded with later versions.  The single year MPC's are usually the best reference for things like this.  I can assure you there is no mention of "standard" dual exhaust on a non-GT A code in the single year MPC's.

also it might interest you that before October 1964 there were two exhausts available for the K code, not just the transverse muffler set up but also an inline muffler and
Not that I'm aware of.  The only dual exhaust before the Arvinode system was the transverse setup and only available on K codes from the assembly plant.  The transverse had 2 resonators before the transverse muffler. The Arvinode systems were a free flow system.