Author Topic: Window Regulator Rubber Stop  (Read 4028 times)

Offline Angela

Window Regulator Rubber Stop
« on: February 09, 2014, 04:21:01 PM »
Which of these window stops (see picture) depicts the most common factory install? Or perhaps both methods were used?

(1) My SanJose '67 car had two piano wire straps poked through the rubber bumper and wrapped around the door bracket. Is this how I should put it back or was this done by a previous owner? Also note, if you look closely you can see someone applied some glue to the split down the middle of the rubber and it's still glued strongly together to this day. Is the glue factory?

(2) Neither rubber bumper/stop taken from a pair of "donor doors" had the piano wire.

Offline 67gta289

Re: Window Regulator Rubber Stop
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2014, 04:30:25 PM »
The piano wire and glue are incorrect.  The correct stop is one piece as shown in your picture.  There is a "tongue" on the bottom that simply pushes into the groove in the metal bracket.
John
67 289 GTA Dec 20 1966 San Jose
7R02C156xxx
MCA 74660

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2014, 04:53:42 PM »
Your car uses the same rubber stop as all 1965-66 body styles and 1967-68 Hardtops and Fastbacks. Why the 67-68 convertible is different, I don't know.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2014, 09:22:50 PM »
Never seen the wire on a car
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline ruppstang

« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2014, 09:48:05 PM »
Your car uses the same rubber stop as all 1965-66 body styles and 1967-68 Hardtops and Fastbacks. Why the 67-68 convertible is different, I don't know.
Jim

What is the difference on the 67-68 convertible?

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2014, 12:20:56 AM »
What is the difference on the 67-68 convertible?
Don't know, it was a surprise to me as well. If you look at the Ford Car Parts book (C5ZZ-6521762-B and others), it's even more confusing.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline Angela

« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2014, 11:02:04 AM »
Thanks for the feedback. I'll assume the rubber stop was not supposed to be glued and wired, yet it's so strange that both my driver and passenger side doors had these two wires wrapped around the stop. Perhaps I'm completely wrong, but I had thought that this scenario had to have been factory, simple because why on earth would a previous owner take the time to install these wires if they could simply replace the rubber stop. We all know what a pain it is to get at this rubber stop. Not to mention how difficult it is to push a piano wire through a block of rubber..... just seems crazy that a person would do this unless maybe the stop kept falling out of place, driving the owner crazy.

Offline ruppstang

« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2014, 02:52:50 PM »
I can assure you the wires were not factory.

Offline Angela

« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2014, 03:20:22 PM »
OK, thanks for the help!

Offline Angela

« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2014, 04:46:56 PM »
I'm resurfacing this thread because I cannot figure out how in the world anyone installs these blasted rubber stops. Someone stated: "There is a "tongue" on the bottom that simply pushes into the groove in the metal bracket."

It's the "simply pushes in..." part that blows me away... because through no lack of effort I cannot simply or difficulty push these stupid stops into the grooves in the door. Seriously, how do you guys do this? I even have a rotted out spare door with a huge access hole cut into the interior side such that you can reach your whole arm into the door easily. Even in that scenario I cannot even partially get the rubber stop to begin to push into the slot in the door. How the heck is this supposed to work? I'm about ready to cut the tongue off and glue them in place.

Offline ruppstang

« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2014, 08:45:31 PM »
Put some Murphy's oil soap on the retainer then it takes a lot of force and persistence to push it in. I have used a dull putty knife between the sides to push down and a small screwdriver to work it through.

Offline stangfan

« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2014, 10:06:33 PM »
You can also put some rubber/vinyl protectant on the rubber to help it slide.  You are needing some lubricant to help you get the rubber to slip into the groove.  Heck, even some white lithium grease would do it.
1968 GT/CS
2018 Premium GT Fastback

Offline Angela

« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2014, 12:29:31 PM »
OK, I'll try murphys oil.... I already tried WD40 and white litium and neither made any difference at all. I mean, pushing, screaming, near-cursing, use of a putty knife...nothing helps.... won't even start, not even a little.

Offline 67gta289

« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2014, 12:32:51 PM »
Is the slot damaged?  Can you provide pictures of the slot on the door and the side profile of the rubber?  Someone might spot the problem.
John
67 289 GTA Dec 20 1966 San Jose
7R02C156xxx
MCA 74660

Offline Angela

« Reply #14 on: April 13, 2014, 02:07:15 PM »
I got 'em. What a pain. For what it's worth, the trick that worked for me was heat..... a LOT of heat. I used a heat gun and kept heating the stupid rubber bumper, trying to fit it into the door, heat, repeat.... using a putty knife to apply pressure. This process using heat worked where no type of oil or lubricant did.

The only remaining question I have on this topic is whether or not these stops wobble around in the door and make noise. If so, perhaps I sould apply a bead of glue along one edge. Once installed I do notice I can wiggle the stop and doing so seems like they'd make an annoying sound when going down the road.