Author Topic: 66 spring perch bushings  (Read 2565 times)

Offline FredG

66 spring perch bushings
« on: February 23, 2014, 10:10:11 AM »
Hi Guys,
Finally getting to my front suspension and over the years, I've never attempted to replace front spring perch bushings. I did order replacement bushings from NPD, but they do not appear as original... What's the deal with this procedure anyway...does just the rubber get replaced or is there is an outer sleeve on the rubber bushing as well?  Any help or reference to shop procedure would be appreciated. 
Thanks,
Fred 
6S1826
Fred
6S1826
'13 Boss
MCA 64943

Offline Brant

• Virginia Classic Mustang Inc
Re: 66 spring perch bushings
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2014, 01:12:04 PM »
Fred,

There is an outer metal sleeve on the bushing assembly.  The old bushing assembly needs to be pressed out and the new one pressed in.

To be honest, it's much easier to replace the entire spring seat and bushing assembly (bushing already installed).  The complete assembly is available in a stock form, high performance with an "synthetic elastomer" bushing (fully rotating), or a roller bearing assembly.

Offline suskeenwiske

• 214-347-3628
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2014, 01:59:34 PM »
Fred, you said never attempted. Please be careful compressing the Springs...check your tools for cracks, thread damage, bent arms, stretched metal, twists, etc. and look at your springs too for any signs of damage. I don't know what your level of expertise is and do not mean to insult your experience, but the energy these springs can release is huge...I lost a dear friend this way.

Ray
Ray
1965 Dearborn Coupe
6 Cylinder, AT, PB, PS, AC
Est. Build 23A

Offline FredG

« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2014, 02:50:39 PM »
Brant and Ray,
Thanks for the reply. While new to this forum, I've been around awhile on SAAC of VMF.  In the past, I've always used the roller bearing seats, but this car is pretty much a nuts and bolts restoration, so the roller bearings are out.  Brad, I called you last week on this as well as a possible spring change and as discussed, will photograph the springs and send down to you, (as well as VIN stamp on the block).  I just thought that before throwing in the towel on trying to figure out how to re-bush the original perches, I'd give it one more shot.   Last resort might be those perches with the elastomer bushings as they appear to be stock appearing..of course the paint would have to stripped off the perches.  Also, Ray, thanks for the words of wisdom..I've learned by the school of hard-knocks over the years, but am on a pretty good course now.  Brant, I've re-riveted your ball joints into the original control arms and they look pretty darn good.. These stupid perches are driving me nuts, though!
Fred   
Fred
6S1826
'13 Boss
MCA 64943

Offline 69bossnut

• DSD Restorations LLC
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2014, 01:53:43 AM »
Fred,
Yes you are correct the replacement are more like the 67-70 style bushing. It will work as is or you can modify it to look like you originals. But that has to be done with a metal lathe. Also they will have to be tacked in on the underside to the spring perch.
Google luck.
DAVID DAVIS
DSD RESTORATIONS LLC
5075 E. COUNTY RD. 126
BLYTHEVILLE, AR. 72315
870-780-4999
dsdresto@gmail.com
www.dsdrestoration.com

Offline FredG

« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2014, 02:56:48 PM »
Hey Dave,
Tnx so much. 10-4 on milling and tacking the sleeves. It all makes sense now.
Fred
Fred
6S1826
'13 Boss
MCA 64943