Author Topic: Does anyone know where I could get this wheel weight?  (Read 1686 times)

Offline 79mustangcobra

Does anyone know where I could get this wheel weight?
« on: June 17, 2014, 06:14:13 PM »
Does anyone know where  I could get this wheel weight? Sorry the picture is cut off on the weight

Thanks!

« Last Edit: June 17, 2014, 06:32:59 PM by 79mustangcobra »
1979 Mustang Cobra 5.0
2P Red and 1C Black

Stock never goes out of style
MCA #70281 -  79-93 MCA Concours Judge
Proverbs 3:5-6

Offline jwc66k

Re: Does anyone know where I could get this wheel weight?
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2014, 09:51:14 PM »
It may be a type of wheel weight that has a sticky back to it. Years ago I used that type on my mags. I think it was called "Tape-A-Weight". Check with a tire store or speed shop.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2014, 10:22:43 PM »
It may be a type of wheel weight that has a sticky back to it. Years ago I used that type on my mags. I think it was called "Tape-A-Weight". Check with a tire store or speed shop.
Jim
Jim, I believe the one in the picture is one of the more conventional type with the portion that wraps over the rim cut off in the picture or at least that is my take. The tape a weights that I have seen were segmented in short 1/4 -1/2  sections to allow easy cut off of  un needed weight. 
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline 79mustangcobra

« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2014, 11:45:26 PM »
Jim, I believe the one in the picture is one of the more conventional type with the portion that wraps over the rim cut off in the picture or at least that is my take. The tape a weights that I have seen were segmented in short 1/4 -1/2  sections to allow easy cut off of  un needed weight.

Yes this is the type. Just trying to keep it correct. Thanks

Here is another picture. Looks like smaller weight

« Last Edit: June 18, 2014, 11:36:42 AM by 79mustangcobra »
1979 Mustang Cobra 5.0
2P Red and 1C Black

Stock never goes out of style
MCA #70281 -  79-93 MCA Concours Judge
Proverbs 3:5-6

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2014, 04:18:26 PM »
From the first picture it is difficult to determine type of weight it is. Clip-on types are available at just about any tire shop. If a Ford factory weight is desired, try a Ford dealer. The real question is what weight value is needed? There are many sizes. The next questions are what method was used to determine that a weight was needed, what weight weight and where to attach it. A large imbalance would necessarily attach another weight on the inner rim. This type of info comes from a tire store with a spin balance machine and should have been critical in the initial request.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline C5ZZ

« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2014, 10:55:58 PM »
The lip on the rim where the weight fastens is deeper than most wheels of the day.
I remember quite well dealing with this on my 79 Cobra in the early 80's, most tire
stores used the more common weight found on GM cars, they wouldn't stay on very
well. Later on the correct weights became more available.
I would check with your local Ford dealer, most of them are selling tires now.
MCA # 00945

65 Fastback, 6 cyl, AT, AC, PS, PB
Rangoon Red/Red Interior