Author Topic: Emergency Brake Cables  (Read 2572 times)

Offline Sunlitgold68

Emergency Brake Cables
« on: March 04, 2010, 10:52:10 PM »
How are the reproduction emergency brake cables? Mine are Frayed and the rubber hose section has badly deteriorated, would rather find some originals. Are NOS ones out there for 1968 models? 
8T01C204XXX

Built May 14th, 1968

Original Owners, custom ordered from Clemmons Ford, Henderson NC

Offline sparky65

Re: Emergency Brake Cables
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2010, 12:02:28 PM »
I bought reproductions for my 67.  The front cable is very nice I couldn't see any differences from my original.  The rear cables are no where close.  Although I see they have "exact" reproductions available for  65 and 66 so maybe its just a mater of time before we get exact reproductions for 67 and 68.  My cables are not frayed so it was recommended to try to soak them in evapo rust to clean them up.  The problem is I haven't come up with a good method of replacing the rubber hose section.  The one idea I had was to just put a piece of heat shrink around the old hose but I think the splitting may show through.
Steve
1967 Pebble Beige  I6 Coupe built in Metuchen on Oct 26, 1966.
2009 Black GT Coupe

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2010, 03:16:39 PM »
Seen the heat shrink used. Tried it myself years ago . It just doesn't look good enough for any kind of show car IMHO. I don't think you will be satisfied. I would start considering a plan "B". Bob
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline sparky65

« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2010, 10:49:08 PM »
Seen the heat shrink used. Tried it myself years ago . It just doesn't look good enough for any kind of show car IMHO. I don't think you will be satisfied. I would start considering a plan "B". Bob

Anyone know how the hose got on there in the first place?  Is it really a hose or was the rubber molded around the cable after it was built?

My plan B is to use the reproductions for now until something better shows up or i figure out how to replace the hose.  I'm kind of betting there will be better reproductions availible in a few years.
Steve
2009 Black GT Coupe

Offline sparky65

« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2010, 10:01:18 PM »
Anyone use the cables from Inline Tube?
http://www.inlinetube.com/Brake%20Cables/brake%20cable%20listings/cables.htm

There picture of the 67 looks close but is missing the rubber tube.  Which is odd becouse the pictures of the other years have a rubber tube.  Looks much better then the repro I have anyway.
Steve
2009 Black GT Coupe

Offline Twilight65

• Gold Level Subscriber
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2010, 10:15:14 PM »
I bought a rear cable from them for my 66. Was advertised as an exact duplicate. Looked nice but was not exactly the same. the rubber was smaller diameter. also the crimping was not the same.

Dave
65 Coupe Dearborn Scheduled Build July 9,1965 289/C4
66 Sprint Conv. Dearborn Scheduled Build May 13, 1966 200/C4

Offline dan green

« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2010, 11:25:15 PM »
I've used several from inline tube.
I like them and think they look great.  The main difference I found was the connector balls that are crimped on the ends to connect the cables.  They are too big and you have to grind them smaller to get them to fit or make the hole in the connector bracket larger.