Author Topic: '69 Mach 1 Exported to Japan  (Read 2275 times)

Offline drummingrocks

'69 Mach 1 Exported to Japan
« on: July 21, 2014, 08:18:02 PM »
Hi guys, wasn't sure if anybody had seen this '69 making the rounds on the VMF.  Pretty cool, it was originally exported to Japan.  I'd heard of export cars before, but had never heard of one heading to Japan.  And I've got a soft spot for it, since it's the same color combo as my '69 Mach (Black Jade w/white interior).

http://forums.vintage-mustang.com/vintage-mustang-forum/783586-69-428cj-mach1-originally-exported-japan.html
Too much junk, too little time.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: '69 Mach 1 Exported to Japan
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2014, 09:18:28 PM »
Interesting story would have expected it to have been purchased originally by a serviceman. US performance cars in the 60's often were not the most popular export cars for most countries.

Have seen a number of cars exported to Japan over the years - not sure if all the info posted is correct (differs from what I've seen on other ones exported there) and apparently the owner doesn't understand all the details (make reference to the car being shipped unfinished  :o\  "final assembled in Japan"  would love to see a Marti that stated exactly that

Things like "left shift headlights" and "no door tag on the car" make me wonder

Some of the post makes one thing that the owner is looking for a big pay day IMHO

Here is a engine compartment shot of a 69 Shelby originally shipped to Japan. The door tag is still in place and only a few modifications appear to have been made for import

And did see a 68 coupe what was originally shipped there a couple of years back at a local show

BTW a friend just rescued a 70 Boss 9 from Japan a couple of years back.  Was surprised he found it there. Never though of looking at over seas EBays for cars  ::) It went to NZ

The really odd export cars are the low compression ones with the odd engine that could run on just about any liquid that would burn.  Often (depending on the production year) had engine codes that were numbers rather than letters
« Last Edit: July 21, 2014, 09:43:44 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline drummingrocks

« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2014, 09:23:32 AM »
You made a good point, it stuck out to me too that the OP kept saying that the car's final assembly happened in Japan.  He said that the Marti verifies that, but in the pic of the Marti report, it doesn't say anything like that.  I think you're right; the owner's seeing the fact that the car was sent to Japan and  mistaking that for being assembled in Japan.
Too much junk, too little time.

Offline blackthunder70

« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2014, 01:50:45 AM »
hi
yes there are a lot of american cars in japan because of the us bases there
i have imported to australia 5 70 428 cobra cars and a 69 351 mach1
the cars are fully loaded with all factory options
and there were a lot of shelbys over there also
i know of kr convertible that went to new zealand
and a 1970 gt500 convertible what was wrecked and crushed as i have some parts from it
and a black jade gt500 that went back to america as i pass on buying
cheers
barry

Offline mwizz

« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2014, 07:14:11 AM »
I have seen Barry's 5 cobra jets that were imported to Oz from Japan. Very nice cars.

Offline ClevelandKid

« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2014, 10:51:51 AM »
There are allot of Mustangs too in the Philippines. I was stationed at Subic Bay back in 72-73. Made allot of trips to Manila and couldn't believe my eyes at seeing hundreds of Mustangs tooling around Metro Manila. You could buy vehicles at substantially reduced prices through Military Auto Sales. Many servicemen that were stationed at overseas US bases would often sell their cars to locals when their tour of duty was up rather than go through the hassle of shipping the car back to the states.
Mustang country. Get the women,kids and Chevys off the streets.