Author Topic: Dual Master Cylinder for '65 Disc Brake Car??  (Read 3148 times)

Offline 5F08KGT

Dual Master Cylinder for '65 Disc Brake Car??
« on: August 29, 2014, 06:52:41 PM »
I plan on starting to finally DRIVE my '65 K GT Convertible some and want to install a DUAL master cylinder for added safety.

I just read the thread about the original disc brake master cylinder's push-rod length.

I have heard that certain year Maverick/Comet and Granada/Monarch with MANUAL Disc brakes will work.

Can anyone confirm this? also I'm seeing pre-bent lines to work with the dual setup.....

I would like to be able to re-install my original disc brake single m/c for shows.

Thanks Guys!

Offline mgmradio

• Global Moderator
Re: Dual Master Cylinder for '65 Disc Brake Car??
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2014, 08:00:55 PM »
Why? There is nothing wrong with the original style M/C. If you are worried about it, have it rebuilt and check the wheel cylinders and calipers for leakage. Check the fluid level regularly . The brakes don't fail without warning.
Formerly the MCA ANHJ 64.5-66!

Offline 67gtasanjose

• "Take the MUSTANG PLEDGE"
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2014, 08:37:40 PM »
Why? There is nothing wrong with the original style M/C. If you are worried about it, have it rebuilt and check the wheel cylinders and calipers for leakage. Check the fluid level regularly . The brakes don't fail without warning.

+1

If you change it over, I guaranty you will not be changing it back for shows.  Not THAT easily switched back and forth.The only thing that might cause sudden brake failure where this might be of service is if a brake hose (or rusty line?) suddenly blows out.  A clean system that isn't seaping will not fail suddenly

In 1967, when the dual brake systems became widely used, the Emegency Brake became known as a PARKING BRAKE, so if you had a problem, just pull the Emergency Brake :D

Richard
« Last Edit: August 29, 2014, 08:43:21 PM by 67gtasanjose »
Richard Urch

1967 (11/2/66, S.J.) GTA Luxury Coupe, 289-4V w/Thermactor Emissions, C-4, Int./Ext. Decor +many options

2005 (04/05) GT Premium Convertible, Windveil Blue, Parchment Top w/Med. Parchment interior,  Roush Body Appointments

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2014, 10:04:30 PM »
+1 . It was good enough for 100's of thousands of Mustangs in 65/66 (that had disc brakes) with out issues. Sure there is better but if maintained there is no reason to think that there will be a problem.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline 5F08KGT

« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2014, 08:51:13 AM »
Thanks Guys for helping me get the confidence back on the brake issue.

My VERY FIRST CAR was a (different) '65 K GT Convertible that I bought for just $500.00 at age 16 back in 1973, I didn't know anything about brakes back then, all I wanted to do was to go FAST!!

NEVER did any brake work on that car, never added any fluid, had a mechanic replace the pads once as I recall.

I don't remember ANY particular vehicle back in the days of single master cylinders having wrecks as a result of a master cylinder failing suddenly.

Thanks Again!!

Offline 5F08KGT

« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2014, 10:06:12 AM »
Is anyone using the DOT 5 fluid in your car??

Offline 67gta289

John
67 289 GTA Dec 20 1966 San Jose
7R02C156xxx
MCA 74660

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2014, 12:26:28 PM »
Is anyone using the DOT 5 fluid in your car??
Have used Dot 5 silicone for years on driver and show cars. It's characteristics are only a + in my book for the inevitable spill or leak when servicing because it does not lift paint like regular fluid. It is not something for a track car because under extreme conditions the pedal is softer but is fine for occasional spirited driving of a primary driver/street car.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline midlife

• Wiring Guru---let me check your shorts!
  • Global Moderator
    • Midlife Harness Restorations
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2014, 09:41:54 PM »
I've used it for 8 years now and not a problem.  I did start with all new parts, though.  I've heard that cleaning all lines and brake parts of DOT 3 can be difficult when changing over to DOT 5---just time consuming.
Midlife Harness Restorations - http://midlifeharness.com

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2014, 09:56:38 PM »
I've used it for 8 years now and not a problem.  I did start with all new parts, though.  I've heard that cleaning all lines and brake parts of DOT 3 can be difficult when changing over to DOT 5---just time consuming.
Yes easiest to start with new parts etc. You flush thoroughly with alcohol first if changing over . I would still suggest manually cleaning caliper pistons and wheel cylinders to be on the safe side.

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2014, 02:33:40 PM »
Pic of the push-rods I have.  Are we saying that the disc brake one is the one with the bigger end and plastic clip?
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin