Author Topic: How Not to Install an Engine--Cover of Oct. 2014 Mustang Monthly  (Read 8489 times)

Offline drummingrocks

How Not to Install an Engine--Cover of Oct. 2014 Mustang Monthly
« on: September 10, 2014, 02:17:32 PM »
Has anyone else received the latest issue of Mustang Monthly?  I couldn't believe what I saw on the cover, with the guy standing on top of the transmission to guide the engine/transmission into the engine bay.  Talk about a way for someone to get hurt!  I could just see the hoist tipping over and the engine falling and hitting that guy in the engine bay.  And with the way the pullies are hitting the engine hoist, his weight is no longer tilting the engine (since it can't tilt any further), but is instead starting to pull on the hoist itself...

I think I would seriously put an engine and transmission in separately before I'd take a chance like that. Scary stuff.

Anyway, just wondered what everyone else thought!  I'm all for "Doing it Yourself," like the blurb on the cover says, but geeze, be safe about it!!   :)
Too much junk, too little time.

Offline carlite65

• Global Moderator
Re: How Not to Install an Engine--Cover of Oct. 2014 Mustang Monthly
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2014, 02:21:57 PM »
saw that too...........baaaaad idea. also noticed tacky ad in back of magazine......hope they don't go downhill.
5F09C331248

Offline drummingrocks

« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2014, 02:22:53 PM »
saw that too...........baaaaad idea. also noticed tacky ad in back of magazine......hope they don't go downhill.

I also noticed that they have a new editor, and that he's already moved on.  I think he did one column as editor, and it was this month's.  Not good.

Offline lancelot66

« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2014, 02:35:52 PM »
Thank you for the heads-up on the latest issue guys. I canceled my subscription back in March but thought later on I would buy the issues each month for the 50th Anniversary year and "then" be all done. Still my intention but have noticed the same you all have as well...really a shame and it doesn't look good (right now at least). Hope Donald Farr is doing well out there and knows how much he is missed. Good man and his professionalism still appreciated by so many of us...
VR/
-Lance

SJ Build Date: 1/6
'66 Fstbk: 63A M 25 06A 71 1 6
Many Original Options

Offline 67gtasanjose

• "Take the MUSTANG PLEDGE"
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2014, 04:32:52 PM »
Pulled this image from the facebook site...

Ride'm Cowboy! He should be holding on with one hand and his other up high to the sky!
« Last Edit: September 10, 2014, 04:36:47 PM by 67gtasanjose »
Richard Urch

1967 (11/2/66, S.J.) GTA Luxury Coupe, 289-4V w/Thermactor Emissions, C-4, Int./Ext. Decor +many options

2005 (04/05) GT Premium Convertible, Windveil Blue, Parchment Top w/Med. Parchment interior,  Roush Body Appointments

Online jwc66k

« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2014, 07:31:05 PM »
If it worked, great. Otherwise, I use the "transmission in first, then the engine hoisted in" method. On the positive side, the radiator is not installed, and that's a good thing.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline 67gta289

« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2014, 10:29:14 PM »
Pulled this image from the facebook site...

Ride'm Cowboy! He should be holding on with one hand and his other up high to the sky!

Richard, were you thinking about Dr. Strangelove?
John
67 289 GTA Dec 20 1966 San Jose
7R02C156xxx
MCA 74660

Offline lancelot66

« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2014, 11:12:24 PM »
Good 'ol Slim Pickens....now THERE was a Cowboy who knew how to ride horses!  This particular MM issue is gonna be a sought after collector item me thinks...
VR/
-Lance

SJ Build Date: 1/6
'66 Fstbk: 63A M 25 06A 71 1 6
Many Original Options

Offline 67gtasanjose

• "Take the MUSTANG PLEDGE"
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2014, 05:40:14 AM »
...well that photo doesn't look like the way they did it in the Martha Reeves video, does it?

Richard
« Last Edit: September 11, 2014, 05:58:22 PM by 67gtasanjose »
Richard Urch

1967 (11/2/66, S.J.) GTA Luxury Coupe, 289-4V w/Thermactor Emissions, C-4, Int./Ext. Decor +many options

2005 (04/05) GT Premium Convertible, Windveil Blue, Parchment Top w/Med. Parchment interior,  Roush Body Appointments

Offline drummingrocks

« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2014, 04:57:27 PM »
...well that photo doesn't look like the way they did it in the Martha Reexes video, does it?

Can you imagine the workers comp claims that Ford would've faced if they did it that way on the assembly line?   

"Hey boss, Jim fell and is laying under that 289."
Boss: "Don't worry about it.  Get that new guy from the body & fender department.  And HURRY IT UP, we can't stop the line!"

;D

Offline 5F08KGT

« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2014, 05:02:58 AM »
Thank you for the heads-up on the latest issue guys. I canceled my subscription back in March but thought later on I would buy the issues each month for the 50th Anniversary year and "then" be all done. Still my intention but have noticed the same you all have as well...really a shame and it doesn't look good (right now at least). Hope Donald Farr is doing well out there and knows how much he is missed. Good man and his professionalism still appreciated by so many of us...

Mustang Monthly has degraded in the months since Donald Farr was let go as editor, I hadn't heard that the new editor has already moved on.......the October issue has way more ads than articles.......very poor mag.........

My understanding is that Donald is the new editor of Mustang Times.....

Offline Brian Conway

« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2014, 12:14:53 PM »
     That picture was somebodies idea of some bonehead backyard mechanics at work and is in my opinion ' staged '.   Absolutely no advantage to standing on the motor/trans while trying to install in the engine bay and obviously dangerous and stupid.  Again my opinion; the editor that approved that shot for the cover was just insulting and debasing his/her readers.  Brian
« Last Edit: September 12, 2014, 12:18:40 PM by Brian Conway »
5RO9A GT  4 Spd Built 5/29/65
9TO2R SCJ 4 Spd Built 9/19/68
Owner Driver Mechanic
San Diego, Ca.

Offline 69cobrajetrugae2

« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2014, 03:39:58 PM »
They are making fun of "do it yourselfers".  Those of us here take this hobby seriously and know that many guys have been seriously hurt or killed working on cars.  I know a guy that died and one that was crippled so safety is no joke.

Look at the picture. They are putting the engine in backwards. The round rubber hood stop is in the wrong place!   

priceless

« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2014, 08:43:46 AM »
Can you imagine the workers comp claims that Ford would've faced if they did it that way on the assembly line?   

"Hey boss, Jim fell and is laying under that 289."
Boss: "Don't worry about it.  Get that new guy from the body & fender department.  And HURRY IT UP, we can't stop the line!"

;D
LOL...That's funny as H*^%

priceless

« Reply #14 on: September 13, 2014, 08:46:34 AM »
Maybe the guy thats showing only his hand is on the other side of the hoist as ballast....LOL.