Author Topic: Vacuum Canister Question  (Read 11742 times)

Offline travnemi

• Travis Waters
Vacuum Canister Question
« on: October 02, 2014, 10:09:19 PM »
I have a 1967 Mustang FastBack GTA 390 with tilt steering, without air and is equipped with CA Emissions. Its a San Jose Built car. Would the car have come with a one or two port vacuum canister?
Thank you for your help,
Travis Waters
Travis Waters

Mine -
1967 Mustang GTA S Code, Fastback, San Jose, Built Dec. 13, 1966 (Thermactor)

Daddy / Daughter Project -
1967 Mustang S Code, Fastback, San Jose, Built Sept. 9, 1966

Offline ruppstang

Re: Vacuum Canister Question
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2014, 10:43:59 PM »
It should have two ports like the one in the picture.
Marty

Offline travnemi

• Travis Waters
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2014, 11:20:41 PM »
On my car, it was mounted above the heater motor. Does that sound right?
Travis
Travis Waters

Mine -

Offline ruppstang

« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2014, 11:53:54 PM »
The 67 assembly manual shows the tilt canister mounted under the battery tray. Does your Marti report show the tilt as a option?
 What is the build date of your car.

Offline drummingrocks

« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2014, 09:48:47 AM »
My '67 is a Metuchen car, but I can't remember off the top of my head when it was built.  I'm thinking it was December 1966?

Anyway, it has factory tilt/swing away steering, as stated on the Marti report.  My vacuum canister for it is located above the heater blower motor too.

You can see it behind the PS shock tower.  I can't be 100% certain, but it doesn't look like the tilt away has ever been messed with or modified on my car.

Too much junk, too little time.

Offline ruppstang

« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2014, 12:04:25 PM »
I have see the canister mounted there as well but just passed it off as a PO fix when the battery tray went bad. This could be another one of those 67 running changes. A lot of the 67 Shelby's had tilt columns may be one of our Shelby guys can add to this.
Marty 

Offline 67gta289

« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2014, 01:15:40 PM »
Pull the hoses off the canister and attach a picture to a reply.

My research (always open for correction) finds that for 67 the tilt without A/C application canister has two "large" ports like the first picture below, whereas A/C and A/C with tilt has the oblong canister like picture two.  Picture three is of a canister the same shape and size as the 67 tilt only can, but with one small and one large port.  I don't think that the picture three style canister is correct for any 67 Mustang, although some pass it off as one.  In 1980 I bought an NOS tilt canister and it was a C9 replacement model with one small and one large port.

As for physical location Marty is correct in that the early model tilt only canister was attached to the battery tray.  The A/C and A/C with tilt was located under the passenger side hood hinge.  There were many running changes in 67 so it is possible that there was a change to what you have.  That is why the build date is relevant. 

Also take a picture of your battery tray (angled bracket), and if possible try to find a date stamp on it.  If original that would be very interesting.

Pictures of the mounting of your canister would also help.  A camera phone helps in this tight space.

While we are at it, please post a picture of the in-line check valve between the engine and canister, and where the hose goes through the firewall.

Thanks for sharing.
John
67 289 GTA Dec 20 1966 San Jose
7R02C156xxx
MCA 74660

Offline Oz390

« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2014, 06:31:59 PM »
Not 100% sure but the #3 is similar to the '68's I have seen.  Most have been covered with an apparently dipped rubberized coating.  The '67 I have seen are as sown, bare cans.  Not sure if it is consistent or maybe a 67 changeover (changed to coated for corrosion or dent protection?)

Thanks for posting the pics. In a pile-o-parts I recently got with a purchased (you want parts you want, you take it all deal!) I got one of the oblong shown and had not been able to determine its origin.  Solved...
8R03S : 76A I 2A 15M 72 5 U
8R01S : 65A B 2A 28M 72 7 5 - Factory GT
8R01C : 65A M 2A 01E 72 2 W - Cal Special
8F01X : 65A I 2A 2G 20E 24 1 U - EXP500 repli-bute

Offline ruppstang

« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2014, 07:29:16 PM »
The 68 ones were rubberized to protect them because they were inside the fender well.

Offline travnemi

• Travis Waters
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2014, 08:28:20 PM »
My 1967 390 with tilt steering and without A/C was made DEC 1966 in San Jose. The canister was mounted on the firewall above the heater motor.

Thanks everyone
Travis
Travis Waters

Mine -

Offline 67gta289

« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2014, 09:11:48 PM »
Travis,  I've never seen one mounted to the firewall.  The attachment nuts would be a bear to get to.  I've seen "near" the blower motor but attached to the side panel below the hood hinge, and also as Marty's picture attests to on the batter tray.

If you get a chance please provide some more pictures.  Thanks John
John
7R02C156xxx
MCA 74660

Offline drummingrocks

« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2014, 08:50:26 AM »
I was thinking more about this over the weekend.  I'll be honest, I'm concentrating on getting my '69 ready for the Savannah show, so it may be a while before I can examine my '67 in any kind of detail.  That being said, I did take a quick look at the battery apron, and there's no signs underneath that anything was ever mounted there besides the reinforcement brace for the battery tray.  I'm fairly sure the battery tray itself is the original, too, though I can't be sure without pulling the battery.

Also, my car doesn't have A/C.  I thought maybe the change in mounting location was due to the canister not being able to clear some of the A/C components once they're installed.
Too much junk, too little time.

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2014, 10:44:03 PM »
I have see the canister mounted there as well but just passed it off as a PO fix when the battery tray went bad. This could be another one of those 67 running changes. A lot of the 67 Shelby's had tilt columns may be one of our Shelby guys can add to this.
Marty
No 67 Shelby came with tilt from the factory. They don't work well with the wooden wheel ether when PO's try to retrofit. You must be thinking of 68 Shelby when after the first of the year 68 all came with tilt .
« Last Edit: October 06, 2014, 10:46:20 PM by Bob Gaines »
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline ruppstang

« Reply #13 on: October 07, 2014, 12:28:31 AM »
No 67 Shelby came with tilt from the factory. They don't work well with the wooden wheel ether when PO's try to retrofit. You must be thinking of 68 Shelby when after the first of the year 68 all came with tilt .
Of course you are correct. I was thinking of 68s. Thanks.

Offline 67gta289

« Reply #14 on: October 07, 2014, 06:53:40 AM »
Also, my car doesn't have A/C.  I thought maybe the change in mounting location was due to the canister not being able to clear some of the A/C components once they're installed.

Looking at the picture you posted again, it appears that it is mounted in the "normal" location for the A/C canister, below the hinge, but of course not the A/C style.

There would be no conflict in that location - 390 with A/C is about as tight as you can get and the A/C canister fit there - a small block no A/C has lots of room in comparison.

My question is why in the world would Ford have located the early tilt only canister way up below the battery tray, with much longer hoses. 

So it looks like Travis' Dec 66 SJ and drummingrocks December-ish 66 NJ cars are away from the "early" location below the battery tray.  This puts a relative mark in the sand.

It would still be good in both cases if we could get some close up pictures including:

1. Canister nipple sizes
2. Hose details (i.e. any stripes or other markings)
3. Hose routing (including through firewall, and whether or not there is a grommet in the firewall)
4. Any vacuum check valve? (could be part of canister assembly)
John
7R02C156xxx
MCA 74660