Author Topic: Vacuum Canister Question  (Read 11744 times)

Offline drummingrocks

Re: Vacuum Canister Question
« Reply #15 on: October 07, 2014, 08:49:07 AM »
It would still be good in both cases if we could get some close up pictures including:

1. Canister nipple sizes
2. Hose details (i.e. any stripes or other markings)
3. Hose routing (including through firewall, and whether or not there is a grommet in the firewall)
4. Any vacuum check valve? (could be part of canister assembly)

I'll be glad to take pictures next week, after the Savannah show is over.  If I don't respond back, could someone bump this thread so I'll see it and remember?  I have so much going on this week that I'll probably forget...   :D
Too much junk, too little time.

Offline ruppstang

« Reply #16 on: October 07, 2014, 08:49:47 AM »
I did a little digging through my manuals and found these drawings. The first shows the battery tray mounting. I thought it was interesting that there were different holes used in the battery tray support if it was a 6cil or a 8cil.
The last may be the best clue from the Ford Vacuum service manual where it shows the canister mounted on the right rear apron.
You are correct it does not make sense to locate the canister under the battery if no AC is present.  I thought it may have been a running change and yet I have found cars with the battery tray mounting with out AC built as late as March 67 in Dearborn.
I checked the 68 FAM and it shows it mounted under the battery tray through the apron with no alternative location. I would like to find more 67 and 68 cars with the tilt only option.

As far as the original question for Travis the canister has two ports of equal size.

Offline 67gtasanjose

• "Take the MUSTANG PLEDGE"
« Reply #17 on: October 07, 2014, 09:13:29 AM »
I have a question, slightly off topic though it seems to follow the same situation of running changes/assembly plant or other option variations etc. in the TILT column option.

The vacuum switch can be located either on the column or on the dash with a bracket, under the ignition switch...So,
Has anyone determined yet why, when and where these changes occured? Can it have anything to do with other options (engine size, with or w/o A/C, Auto/Man Trans, assembly date, plant...just another confusing area for discussuion, maybe in another thread?

Richard
Richard Urch

1967 (11/2/66, S.J.) GTA Luxury Coupe, 289-4V w/Thermactor Emissions, C-4, Int./Ext. Decor +many options

2005 (04/05) GT Premium Convertible, Windveil Blue, Parchment Top w/Med. Parchment interior,  Roush Body Appointments

Offline ruppstang

« Reply #18 on: October 07, 2014, 09:32:20 AM »
I have a question, slightly off topic though it seems to follow the same situation of running changes/assembly plant or other option variations etc. in the TILT column option.

The vacuum switch can be located either on the column or on the dash with a bracket, under the ignition switch...So,
Has anyone determined yet why, when and where these changes occured? Can it have anything to do with other options (engine size, with or w/o A/C, Auto/Man Trans, assembly date, plant...just another confusing area for discussuion, maybe in another thread?

Richard

That one is easy, in 68 Ford went to a collapsible steering column which used a cable instead of a rod for a release. The vacuum motor and switch was moved to a bracket under the dash. 
Marty

Offline 67gtasanjose

« Reply #19 on: October 07, 2014, 12:52:43 PM »
That one is easy, in 68 Ford went to a collapsible steering column which used a cable instead of a rod for a release. The vacuum motor and switch was moved to a bracket under the dash. 
Marty

For 1967's not 68's. I understand everything was different on the 68's, even the column. I ask of the electric switch that opens & closes vacuum supply to the vacuum motor. I have seen them mounted on the (top of?) column or under the ignition switch on a bracket as pictured in the assembly manual image#2 you (Marty) provided. When, where and what calls out these different mounting locations?

Richard
« Last Edit: October 07, 2014, 12:55:01 PM by 67gtasanjose »
Richard Urch

1967 (11/2/66, S.J.) GTA Luxury Coupe, 289-4V w/Thermactor Emissions, C-4, Int./Ext. Decor +many options

2005 (04/05) GT Premium Convertible, Windveil Blue, Parchment Top w/Med. Parchment interior,  Roush Body Appointments

Offline 67gtasanjose

« Reply #20 on: October 07, 2014, 01:03:42 PM »
Also, has anybody found a concours correct hose with the correct markings for these? (green & white stripes)  Mine is apart right now and everything is stiff and somewhat brittle from So.Calif. desert heat. It would be nice to buy something close to the correct type. I have trimmed the ends on previous occasions for leaking and needed to lengthen one of the ends with a splice.

Richard
« Last Edit: October 07, 2014, 01:06:26 PM by 67gtasanjose »
Richard Urch

Offline 67gta289

« Reply #21 on: October 07, 2014, 02:01:25 PM »
Can you provide some pics of the hoses you are looking for?  You might want to try a Cougar supplier.  Not sure if the headlight door vacuum hoses are the same, which is why I'm interested in pics to compare.

http://www2.cougarpartscatalog.com/67kit.html
John
67 289 GTA Dec 20 1966 San Jose
7R02C156xxx
MCA 74660

Offline 67gtasanjose

« Reply #22 on: October 07, 2014, 02:29:07 PM »
Can you provide some pics of the hoses you are looking for? 

I'll look at my hoses, check valve etc. when I get home and see if it has signs of the OE type hose as mentioned in the assembly man..
I know I repaired mine from minor leaks a couple of different times so unfortunately, I cannot guarrantee that I didn't replace any of the hoses, though I do not remember clearly doing so. I am sure I would have only been concerned about function, since replacing any brittle hoses with anything new the same size, I wouldn't have been concerned about them being CONCOURS exact in those days.  Like I said, I don't remember relacing them, but I could have. I DO remember having trouble with the in line check valve and that the Cougars had different ones with 3 nipples. I found flushing water through it cleaned it out enough to work correctly again, back in the day. (now I am curious if it still works correctly today!) I also remember taking the vacuum motor apart and cleaning it which helped with easy function of the tilt-away.
Richard Urch

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #23 on: October 07, 2014, 05:03:17 PM »
I have observed that the 67 only battery tray with the locating holes for the tilt canister was used very late in 67 production. I don't know when it stopped being used if at all in 67.  A 22 F tray with tilt can locating holes was still in place (although rusty) on the Oct 66 SJ build of my 67 GT350. Although no tilt on 67 Shelby's all of the trays were drilled with locating holes regardless if equipped or not. The battery tray would seem to indicate that the intended location for the vac can was there if equipped. I am skeptical that the firewall location was a factory mounted location because of this .
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline ruppstang

« Reply #24 on: October 07, 2014, 09:48:04 PM »
Tilt vacuum lines  have green and white stripes. I have been waiting on Jack at Dead Nuts On to put his reproductions for sale. You know is he does them they will be nice.
 It would be interesting to see if the stud spacing on the vacuum canister is the same as the early larger AC canister. If they were the same the tilt can could have been placed there if there was no AC. This would have saved money.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2014, 10:05:09 PM by ruppstang »

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #25 on: October 07, 2014, 11:56:26 PM »
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline Oz390

« Reply #26 on: October 08, 2014, 08:22:17 PM »
On the move out of the engine bay it could be heat related.  Engine bay heat soak would lessen vaccum. Moving to the cooler outer fender area lessens the temp = lower pressure (by a little bit)
8R03S : 76A I 2A 15M 72 5 U
8R01S : 65A B 2A 28M 72 7 5 - Factory GT
8R01C : 65A M 2A 01E 72 2 W - Cal Special
8F01X : 65A I 2A 2G 20E 24 1 U - EXP500 repli-bute

Offline 67gtasanjose

« Reply #27 on: October 14, 2014, 09:03:06 AM »
The hoses I have do not look much different than Marty's do except the color is worn aff considerably. Sorry about the bad images. (I can take them again if needed, It looks like the auto-focus hit on the background) It looks as though the white line is more of a pinstripe line and the green one is a wider line. Otherwise, no "ribbing" or noticable markings other than the striping.

Richard
« Last Edit: October 14, 2014, 09:08:10 AM by 67gtasanjose »
Richard Urch

Offline travnemi

• Travis Waters
« Reply #28 on: October 24, 2014, 11:50:02 PM »
Sorry for the crappy picture, the car is disassembled and being restored. I cropped in an old photo to the canister, the arrows point to the location.

Thanks again

Travis
Travis Waters

Mine -
1967 Mustang GTA S Code, Fastback, San Jose, Built Dec. 13, 1966 (Thermactor)

Daddy / Daughter Project -
1967 Mustang S Code, Fastback, San Jose, Built Sept. 9, 1966

Offline roddster

« Reply #29 on: October 25, 2014, 12:15:28 AM »
  I have a 67 GTA coupe built in October of 1966.  San Jose.  The Vaccuum canister on this one is not above the heater motor but more like in the way of the right hood hinge lower bolts.  there are two small dimples there which must be drilled out if this optioned is selected.  Nothing under the battery tray.  The car had stopped running in 1979 and although used, not molested.  I'm pretty confident that it was built that way.  S code, A/C, and Tilt wheel.  The canister is not round, more like molded (stamped) in a shape that fits.
  One thing about the assembly manuals, surely they were updated, and, some of the pages have dates.  So, as mentioned, you have to pay attention to the year long 67 assembly changes.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2014, 12:23:10 AM by roddster »