Author Topic: '67 Tilt-Away steering wheel vacuum can  (Read 12981 times)

Offline mikeljgt500kr

• 1964 1/2 K code coupe and 2022 GT500 HE
'67 Tilt-Away steering wheel vacuum can
« on: November 30, 2014, 10:40:49 AM »
In working on my '67's tilt-away unit, it was working fine before the nipple on the vacuum release valve broke.  Then I notice the '67 is supposed to have a single port vacuum can under the battery tray, as I have, for the tilt-away, but how does a single port one work with the tilt-away?  Where does the vacuum line come from to get it's engine vacuum and how does it hook up to the vacuum release valve?  I am really not sure now where my unit was getting it's vacuum from (maybe the A/C can?) to the input of the vacuum release valve, but I am trying to find out.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2014, 12:08:06 PM by mikeljgt500kr »
I don't always downshift, but when I do it is near a Prius so they can hear me hurting the environment.

Offline 67gtasanjose

• "Take the MUSTANG PLEDGE"
Re: '67 Tilt-Away steering wheel vacuum can
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2014, 11:01:13 AM »
Mike, there has been a lot of discussion about this in other threads recently. There is also differences in resevoirs for early and late built cars. I seem to remember your 67 as a later version (maybe include your build data again here). The LATER version without the oblong A/C canister, ought to have two canisters if yours has Air Conditioning (also with or without A/C seems to be pertinant) . If yours IS the later version, there ought to be a canister mounted under the fender well for the AC and the canister under the battery that you are asking about, for the tilt-away column. The under battery tray ought to have two lines going to it, not just one AND both nipples on that canister ought to be the same size.

PLEASE OTHERS verify what I just wrote above. I'll include a link to the other discussion in this forum.
http://www.concoursmustang.com/forum/index.php?topic=5644.msg58118#msg58118

Richard
Richard Urch

1967 (11/2/66, S.J.) GTA Luxury Coupe, 289-4V w/Thermactor Emissions, C-4, Int./Ext. Decor +many options

2005 (04/05) GT Premium Convertible, Windveil Blue, Parchment Top w/Med. Parchment interior,  Roush Body Appointments

Offline mikeljgt500kr

« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2014, 11:32:01 AM »
Thanks, yes mine is an April, 27, '67 built Jersey car, with A/C.  There is the usual two ports on the vacuum can on the passenger side fender well near the firewall.  I am now thinking the previous owner may have hooked the tilt-away to that can, and that the vacuum for the A/C, heat, etc. maybe be plugged off or weakened perhaps.  Still checking on it, but the defroster doesn't seem to open, so I am suspicious.

OK, after reading through the last thread, my S code April 27, '67 build, with A/C, has the round cans, and both are mounted through the apron, so that the can is on the back side of the engine compartment.  The one under the battery tray has one port (looks to be brass?) and has a "T" on the vacuum line coming in from the manifold, with a downstream check valve on the end going into the firewall (tilt?), and the other has two ports, both have the same diameter.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2014, 12:06:54 PM by mikeljgt500kr »
I don't always downshift, but when I do it is near a Prius so they can hear me hurting the environment.

Offline 67gta289

« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2014, 04:10:35 PM »
Please add pictures.  Thanks John
John
67 289 GTA Dec 20 1966 San Jose
7R02C156xxx
MCA 74660

Offline mikeljgt500kr

« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2014, 05:49:48 PM »
OK, the first two are of the tilt can under the battery tray, single port.

The second two are of the A/C-Heat dual port can, with the unequal port sizes, mounted on the passenger side upper apron near the hood hinges just in front of the firewall.

Warning, this car was taken apart and nut and bolt restored about a year ago, so I can't vouch for any originality.

Offline 67gtasanjose

« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2014, 06:41:42 PM »
Yeah, the one under the battery does not look to be consistant to anything previously discussed or any I have seen there before. The one at the hood hinge would seem to be correct for that location/build date on an A/C car.

Everything I have seen and read indicates that you would need a two port canister mounted on a bracket  and that bracket then mounts under the battery, onto the battery tray support.

Other pictures available at the Library section of this site, listed under 1967 Mustang Cruise Control Installation instructions, I believe it was on page 12 of those instructions.

Richard
Richard Urch

1967 (11/2/66, S.J.) GTA Luxury Coupe, 289-4V w/Thermactor Emissions, C-4, Int./Ext. Decor +many options

2005 (04/05) GT Premium Convertible, Windveil Blue, Parchment Top w/Med. Parchment interior,  Roush Body Appointments

Offline mikeljgt500kr

« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2014, 07:17:15 PM »
OK, thanks, I was not clear on the previous thread, did there used to be a single port vacuum can for the tilt up until a certain date in the '67 model year?  Several vendors sell '67 single port vacuum cans they advertise for tilt.  The "T" in the vacuum line from the manifold (one side goes to the vacuum can, the other through the firewall to the vacuum release valve), and the downstream to through the firewall line that has a check valve in it to the vacuum release valve, seems to work great for my tilt.  I hate to mess that up with a dual port one if I don't need it for judging.

Offline ruppstang

« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2014, 10:09:28 PM »
A single port can would receive a deduction if I were judging it. I would not even be correct on a 68.

Offline mikeljgt500kr

« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2014, 11:13:36 PM »
A single port can would receive a deduction if I were judging it. I would not even be correct on a 68.

So I guess Brant should quit selling these then?

http://www.virginiaclassicmustang.com/67-SINGLE-PORT-TILT-STEERING-VACUUM-CANISTER-P3324.aspx

Offline ruppstang

« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2014, 11:40:54 PM »
So I guess Brant should quit selling these then?

http://www.virginiaclassicmustang.com/67-SINGLE-PORT-TILT-STEERING-VACUUM-CANISTER-P3324.aspx
I would not use parts catalogues as a guide to what is concours correct on your car. 

Offline E35Pilot

« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2014, 08:02:57 AM »

I have a '68 tilt that uses the single port vacuum can mounted under the battery...seems to be original.  The car also has the A/C vacuum can mounted on the passenger fender under the hood hinge.  Both vacuum cans are mounted inside the fender.  This corresponds to the vacuum schematic I have.

The single port tilt can uses a single engine vacuum line with a check valve....the engine draws vacuum into the can.  The though-line in the check valve has the vacuum line directly to the under dash vacuum motor/actuator.
When the tilt operates, it draws vacuum from the can as the check valve prevents and ambient air from being drawn from the manifold when the engine is not on. 

Don't know if this helps, but this is how my 68 works and it appears to match the 68 manuals I have. 
If this is not correct, please provide documentation as I'd like to fix whatever may have been changed by PO.

1968 Mustang S-Code Convertible
Built: San Jose, CA, December 1, 1967

Offline ruppstang

« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2014, 09:21:49 AM »
Here is a page from a original 67 Ford vacuum service manual that I have. I also have the 68 and will check it today. I have a very original 68 GT 350 that has two lines to the tilt can under the battery.

« Last Edit: December 01, 2014, 09:26:14 AM by ruppstang »

Offline mikeljgt500kr

« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2014, 11:01:25 AM »
I would not use parts catalogues as a guide to what is concours correct on your car.

Agreed, but my point was that why would someone go to such expense and financial risk to make something that is so glaringly incorrect?  Surely they had some info that it was not incorrect before they undertook the venture.  I'm just looking for what would have made people think a '67 could have had a single port can for the tilt steering.  Assembly manuals are fine, but I have also found them to be incorrect for all plants, time periods, and applications they purportedly cover.

Offline 67gtasanjose

« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2014, 02:09:42 PM »
Agreed, but my point was that why would someone go to such expense and financial risk to make something that is so glaringly incorrect? 

My guess?...In my opinion, & based upon my research up to today, I wouldn't swear it NEVER fit any 67 with Tilt-Away...I can swear it sure doesn't fit many if not most 67's with tilt, I am absolutely sure it will not work on my early '67 with A/C (mine has the oblong, non-friut-can-looking canister) and reasonably sure, based again on research, it didn't ever fit under your battery on your '67.

The '68 vacuum system is another whole can of worms, (though at least the '68's design seemed to be the same across the board) we might wish to stay away from for the purpose of the O.P.'s original question.

Richard
« Last Edit: December 01, 2014, 02:11:50 PM by 67gtasanjose »
Richard Urch

Offline ruppstang

« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2014, 02:51:29 PM »
I realize that these systems can work in different configurations but concours is as it was delivered off the assembly line. Here are the 68 service diagrams not from the assembly manuals.  If some one has a real Ford diagram of a single line system for 67-68 I would like to see it.
Marty