Author Topic: '67 Tilt-Away steering wheel vacuum can  (Read 12980 times)

Offline mikeljgt500kr

• 1964 1/2 K code coupe and 2022 GT500 HE
Re: '67 Tilt-Away steering wheel vacuum can
« Reply #15 on: December 01, 2014, 05:30:17 PM »
Having had many '68s and been involved with them for many years, I do not think the '68s had a single port one, but I am just interested in the '67s.  I do know the '69s had single port ones, but I also understand that prior to a few years ago, the repops were only available as dual ports.  Just wondering why so many vendors have presented the '67s as single port, they must have had some info on this, didn't they?  I guess I will just give up and put a dual port one in, that seems to be easier than trying to research this……... :'(

I think I will just contact Brant and see what he knows about what he is selling as the '67.
I don't always downshift, but when I do it is near a Prius so they can hear me hurting the environment.

Offline ruppstang

« Reply #16 on: December 01, 2014, 09:10:29 PM »
The parts companies are in business to sell parts. Not all of there customers are concours restorers. As noted the single port canister will work. I would like to hear what Brant has to say about this.
Marty

Offline mikeljgt500kr

« Reply #17 on: December 01, 2014, 10:01:51 PM »
Brant says that the specs all came from info acquired by Classic Auto Air Manufacturing, who builds these units for the vendors who sell them.  I plan to contact them to find out more.
I don't always downshift, but when I do it is near a Prius so they can hear me hurting the environment.

Offline E35Pilot

« Reply #18 on: December 03, 2014, 08:10:34 PM »
After reading all the posts in this thread, and doing some additional research, I'm convinced the two-port tilt vacuum canister found under the battery on the inside fender wheel-well is most common...and likely most correct, not withstanding all the aftermarket cans that ended up on our prized possessions.  Once again, I'm in the market for something that I once thought was original.  Oh well, we all can learn something new if we're willing to accept in our own fallibility.

So if I return to a dual port tilt canister, how does the check valve get installed in the vacuum hose system?
1968 Mustang S-Code Convertible
Built: San Jose, CA, December 1, 1967

Offline 67gta289

« Reply #19 on: December 03, 2014, 08:50:20 PM »
The dual port coffee can style can has a built in check valve. This is located in the bump out area where the ports are located.   Note that the most common style you see on eBay has one port smaller than the other, and this is not proper for the tilt application.  You want them the same size.

Also regarding location I think the correct location is mounted to the battery tray
« Last Edit: December 03, 2014, 08:52:50 PM by 67gta289 »
John
67 289 GTA Dec 20 1966 San Jose
7R02C156xxx
MCA 74660

Offline mikeljgt500kr

« Reply #20 on: December 03, 2014, 09:42:49 PM »
The dual port coffee can style can has a built in check valve. This is located in the bump out area where the ports are located.   Note that the most common style you see on eBay has one port smaller than the other, and this is not proper for the tilt application.  You want them the same size.

Also regarding location I think the correct location is mounted to the battery tray

And for that item with equal size ports, it is listed as a '68-'69 vacuum can:
http://www.virginiaclassicmustang.com/68-69-DUAL-PORT-TILT-STEERING-VACUUM-CANISTER-P3325.aspx

Offline 67gta289

« Reply #21 on: December 03, 2014, 09:59:10 PM »
That is close from 20 feet.  Incorrect items include (1) the check valve is offset from center, (2) the end caps are flat, no indentation, (3) the brackets are designed for mounting to and stick through the face of the fender aprons, not on the battery tray.

Some pictures of originals:
John
67 289 GTA Dec 20 1966 San Jose
7R02C156xxx
MCA 74660

Offline mikeljgt500kr

« Reply #22 on: December 03, 2014, 10:29:25 PM »
I've never seen one like that, where would you find it?

Offline ruppstang

« Reply #23 on: December 04, 2014, 12:12:45 AM »
Here are some pictures of 67 unrestored car.

Offline 67gtasanjose

• "Take the MUSTANG PLEDGE"
« Reply #24 on: December 04, 2014, 06:18:16 AM »
Here are some pictures of 67 unrestored car.

That is close from 20 feet.  Incorrect items include (1) the check valve is offset from center, (2) the end caps are flat, no indentation, (3) the brackets are designed for mounting to and stick through the face of the fender aprons, not on the battery tray.

Some pictures of originals:

We have seen these examples in other threads and it is very helpful to have them here also.

John & Marty, it might add some depth to the understanding of "concours correctness" if your examples also include their production data. Even if you do not have the build data (assembly date and plant) please state what is known or is NOT known about the build data. (known accessories & options a huge +PLUS+)

The reasoning I ask about build data is there seems to be a few early production examples (in the previously mentioned thread) with both Tilt Away AND with factory AC that did NOT seem to use the 2nd canister mounted under the battery tray (as pictured, these examples seem to ONLY use the oblong canister up by the hood hinge, under the hood)  The general understanding on these EARLY cars is that the battery mounted location (the type pictured in these two examples) would have been used ONLY if the car had either factory speed control or a dealer installed speed control system AND also the Tilt-Away w/AC. Running changes in the 67 model year and the specific changeover dates haven't been narrowed down enough, so I hope asking questions on the build data will help out.

CLEARLY, as stated before, the LATER production 67's would have the type pictured in both John & Marty's examples above.

We have also seen a couple examples WITHOUT Air Conditioning that had the Tilt Canister up by the hood hinge area, but that is another topic for NON-A/C cars.

Richard
« Last Edit: December 04, 2014, 09:04:16 AM by 67gtasanjose »
Richard Urch

1967 (11/2/66, S.J.) GTA Luxury Coupe, 289-4V w/Thermactor Emissions, C-4, Int./Ext. Decor +many options

2005 (04/05) GT Premium Convertible, Windveil Blue, Parchment Top w/Med. Parchment interior,  Roush Body Appointments

Offline ruppstang

« Reply #25 on: December 04, 2014, 08:35:52 AM »
I only have data on one of the two that I found. It is a Dearborn car built March 27th 1967. I think it may have had AC, I'll have to check when I can.
Marty

Offline mikeljgt500kr

« Reply #26 on: December 04, 2014, 01:12:35 PM »
I have an answer form Classic Auto Air, who manufactures many of these cans for different applications.  For the '67, they state the single port can was manufactured using original Ford specs and pictures, and the applications are for mid-late '67 Mustangs and Cougars with tilt and A/C.  So now you know.  On the pictures of the ones just preceding here, has anyone seen any of these exact ones on eBay for sale, or anywhere else?  Since tilt and A/C was not a rare option on '67s, I am wondering about where they all are.

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #27 on: December 04, 2014, 01:37:41 PM »
I have an answer form Classic Auto Air, who manufactures many of these cans for different applications.  For the '67, they state the single port can was manufactured using original Ford specs and pictures, and the applications are for mid-late '67 Mustangs and Cougars with tilt and A/C.  So now you know.  On the pictures of the ones just preceding here, has anyone seen any of these exact ones on eBay for sale, or anywhere else?  Since tilt and A/C was not a rare option on '67s, I am wondering about where they all are.
The 69 are the only single ones I have seen and the OEM 69 cans were not as long or tall as the repro can. If made to Ford spec it is interesting that both the 67 illustration and the 68 illustrations in the various manuals only show the double vacuum hose style. It would seem that with evolution in mind that a double version early and then a single "mid-late" and then back to the double version for 68 doesn't make a lot of sense. 
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline mikeljgt500kr

« Reply #28 on: December 04, 2014, 01:43:57 PM »
I agree Bob, that sequence doesn't sound too logical, but as you know, Ford was not always logical about parts…. ;D

But, as a follow-up to my own question, I contacted a good Shelby/Cougar parts supplier I have used often over the years, to see if they knew anything about this.  He told me he had a good used one just like the one in the pictures here of the offset dual port with a side bracket, but that he sells many more of the repro single and dual units for the '67s.  I told him I would take it, so I guess there are some out there, just not common and not something the manufacturers want to make.

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #29 on: December 04, 2014, 01:58:29 PM »
I agree Bob, that sequence doesn't sound too logical, but as you know, Ford was not always logical about parts…. ;D

But, as a follow-up to my own question, I contacted a good Shelby/Cougar parts supplier I have used often over the years, to see if they knew anything about this.  He told me he had a good used one just like the one in the pictures here of the offset dual port with a side bracket, but that he sells many more of the repro single and dual units for the '67s.  I told him I would take it, so I guess there are some out there, just not common and not something the manufacturers want to make.
FYI 69 single inlet cans have the straps on the side also. Those came on a lot of cougars too (probably more then 67). Just wanted to clarify because it wouldn't be the first time that the Shelby/Cougar parts supplier added to the confusion also by just giving you what you asked for regardless of where he got it.  Just sayin.   
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby