Author Topic: Master cylinder for KR  (Read 1377 times)

Offline mbyers

Master cylinder for KR
« on: March 04, 2022, 10:41:54 PM »
Hello
Need some guidance on the specifics of period-correct master cylinder for 68 KR. Can I assume that all 67-68 V8 cars w power disc setup had 2227161 casting? We?re they all manufactured by Bendix and had Bendix logo casted on the bottom? I had read that some had stamping on the driver side. Did all MCs have small nipple on top of the front fitting? Did KRs come equipped w different MC w larger bore? My car was assembled in July so would it have had a hex bolt or Allen head on the bottom?  I realize it?s close to impossible to find correct date but would like to replace aftermarket one w original equipment since it?s a survivor. Thx in advance.

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
Re: Master cylinder for KR
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2022, 10:49:36 PM »
Hello
Need some guidance on the specifics of period-correct master cylinder for 68 KR. Can I assume that all 67-68 V8 cars w power disc setup had 2227161 casting? YES. We?re they all manufactured by Bendix and had Bendix logo casted on the bottom? YES. I had read that some had stamping on the driver side. Some do and some don't .Did all MCs have small nipple on top of the front fitting? YES.Did KRs come equipped w different MC w larger bore? NO.My car was assembled in July so would it have had a hex bolt or Allen head on the bottom? Most likely a conical Allen head shaped bolt. I realize it?s close to impossible to find correct date but would like to replace aftermarket one w original equipment since it?s a survivor. Thx in advance.
I will look through my cores and PM you if I find something appropriate.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2022, 11:08:25 PM »
Keep in mind that the most important aspects are the nub in the front that you can see, the cone or hex stop bolt on the bottom that you can feel and to a much lesser extent the Bendix raised casting that you can slightly feel. The right date code is all good and fine but it is hard if not next to impossible to read once installed and that is with remote viewing tools. The highly visible aspects are the first order of business IMO. Don't forget the correct master cap with a vent on the side and not the top.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline mbyers

« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2022, 12:15:28 PM »
Agree 100%. I guess it?s the ?originalist? in me and what makes hobby fun is trying find holy grail?.. but I?m realistic. I didn?t know about vent on side of cap?.. fascinating. Makes you wonder why in world would they go to trouble and cost of manufacturing two different caps. You are a wealth of info. Enjoy reading your threads. Thx for help
Gooday
Matt

Offline mbyers

« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2022, 02:19:15 PM »
Hi Bob
Do u by chance have a pic of a cap that shows a side vent? Never seen one and want to know what I?m looking for. I looked on Scott hollenbock Coralsnake page and didn?t see one. Thx again

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2022, 05:42:38 PM »
Hope this helps

68 KR with 7K original miles

« Last Edit: March 06, 2022, 05:45:30 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline mbyers

« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2022, 10:35:57 PM »
Much appreciated Jeff/Bob
That car is truely a time capsule. Has my car beat by 46k miles.  Believe or not after receiving your pic, I found one on eBay?.. my lucky day. I was aware that original mc were painted black w sticker but wasn?t aware of side vent. Very cool. Have great week.

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2022, 11:42:01 PM »
67 master caps were plated the zinc silver and painted. In 68 production the caps started as the zinc Dichromate gold before being painted black with the rest of the assemply .

Offline mbyers

« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2022, 04:37:11 AM »
I would guess the dichromate finish is more protective against corrosive nature of brake fluid??..

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2022, 05:21:54 AM »
I would guess the dichromate finish is more protective against corrosive nature of brake fluid??..

Don't believe the dye really adds anything for this purpose when compared to straight zinc.
Jeff Speegle

Offline Flade

« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2022, 03:21:09 PM »
West Coast Classic a cougars is selling a reproduction MC that appears to be much more correct than anything else I have seen.  Has anyone lookeD at one up close?  The only thing that appears to be wrong to me is the cap.  It has embossed writing. All original caps I am familiar with were painted black and had up the writing on a sticker.

https://secure.cougarpartscatalog.com/17252/31338/master-cylinder-disc-power-brake-premium-repro-1967-1972-mercury-cougar-/-1967-1972-ford-mustang-clone.html?attribs=76&sessionthemeid=26&pk_vid=bfe5900c81d0b7411648612431248311

The cap in the pic posted by J-Speegle, looks like the the back edges are angled straight vs rounded.  Is that an illusion?
68 Convertible, 289 C4, SJ May 68 build date

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2022, 12:25:16 AM »
West Coast Classic a cougars is selling a reproduction MC that appears to be much more correct than anything else I have seen.  Has anyone lookeD at one up close?  The only thing that appears to be wrong to me is the cap.  It has embossed writing. All original caps I am familiar with were painted black and had up the writing on a sticker.

https://secure.cougarpartscatalog.com/17252/31338/master-cylinder-disc-power-brake-premium-repro-1967-1972-mercury-cougar-/-1967-1972-ford-mustang-clone.html?attribs=76&sessionthemeid=26&pk_vid=bfe5900c81d0b7411648612431248311

The cap in the pic posted by J-Speegle, looks like the the back edges are angled straight vs rounded.  Is that an illusion?
repro master cylinder has cone shape stop bolt instead of hex head like 67 and most 68?s do.  I am not certain when the change over to the cone shape happened in later 68 production but I wouldn?t be surprised if it had happened by the time the KR?s were being produced.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2022, 01:50:20 AM »

Since I posted three different caps not sure which one your referring to and which edge your referring to. The shape of the lip is rounded not a hard sharp edge you can make using paper but has to be rounded due to the base metal. The lower (when installed) edge has a flare to it
Jeff Speegle

Offline Flade

« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2022, 01:37:04 PM »
Thanks, I looked at it again and it?s a visual illusion that makes the cap edge look straight.  I also found the answer to the embossed versus stamped cap.  The stamped caps were used in 67/68, The Embossed caps were used in 69 and on.  So it seems to me that the WCCC repro MC has the early 67/68 hex style stop bolt, but the later 69 style cap.  Replacing the cap will make a decent option where you don?t need the Bendix markings for a perfect car.
68 Convertible, 289 C4, SJ May 68 build date

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: April 03, 2022, 05:07:24 PM »

I hadn't seen that one before . the repros i have seen had the cone shape stop bolt . It appears to be a good alternative ether way.